How many nationalities do you prefer in a tournament

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

STAVKA

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFinland
In a regular tournament, only 4-6 scenarios are played.
Which number-variety of nationalities do you prefer?

How much you need to bring along, does it matter?

In Copenhagen tournament 2022, 7 nationalties could be played (I played 4 nationalitites, some played 6-7 nationalties).

In Borås tournament 2021, 4 nationalitites were available, and all played with them.

In FrF tournament 2021, 3 nationalitites were available, and all played with them.

In Festung Budapest 2022, 3 nationalitites were available, and all played with them.

Last edited:

Vic Provost

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Vic
Country
llUnited States
I'm good with any nationalities, though my favorite theaters are PTO, the Eastern Front and western front combined arms.

As long as I'm rolling dice I'm good, currently playtesting a 1940 Norwegian scenario with German Mountain troops vs a British and Norwegian defense force for the Next Dispatch. Roll low when you can...

STAVKA

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFinland
I'm good with any nationalities, though my favorite theaters are PTO, the Eastern Front and western front combined arms.
Sorry, I could have been more clear, the poll is about how many nationalities you prefer in a regular tournament setting.
You may change your vote.

STAVKA

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFinland
Rome Tournament 2022, 4 nationalitites were used.

Human Wave Tournament 2022, 4 nationalitites were used.

Scandinavian Open 2021, 4 nationalitites were used.

Supporting Fire 2020, 3 nationalities were used.

Do not think there is any weekend tournament with more than 7 nationalities available, still some have voted that they prefer 9+ nationalities - such tournaments simple do not exist.

Tournament Directors often seems to prefer 2-4 nationalities, and some, to a lesser degree 5-8 nationalitites.

Last edited:

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Rome Tournament 2022, 4 nationalitites were used.

Human Wave Tournament 2022, 4 nationalitites were used.

Scandinavian Open 2021, 4 nationalitites were used.

Supporting Fire 2020, 3 nationalities were used.

Do not think there is any weekend tournament with more than 7 nationalities available, still some have voted that they prefer 9+ nationalities - such tournaments simple do not exist.

Tournament Directors often seems to prefer 2-4 nationalities, and some, to a lesser degree 5-8 nationalitites.
I favor open events where you can play any scenario or nationality. I understand the convenience of not having to portage your entire kit to an event that has limited nationalities but like the spontaneity that numerous nationalities allows.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
A few questions.

How many nationalities have their own distinct counters?

Are Axis and Allied Minors still represented by generic counters?

How many events or tournaments allow open play where you could possibly use all of the nationalities?

I think it would be kind of cool to participate in an event and play all of the nationalities.

Interesting thread. Thanks for posting it.🤗

Larry

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
It really isn't how many in a tournament setting, but how many within a themed mini. 2-4 makes sense in that context. But a tournament can have a ChiCom mini, a Polish mini, a desert mini, and a heavy armor mini. The winners of those four play two scenarios to pick the final winner. That tournament might feature 11 or 12 nationalities but still gives players that want to "work" on a part of the game by focusing on one aspect of ASL.

STAVKA

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFinland
I favor open events where you can play any scenario or nationality. I understand the convenience of not having to portage your entire kit to an event that has limited nationalities but like the spontaneity that numerous nationalities allows.
Open events are good in a sense, since you can play as little or as much you want, and drop of the scene at any moment, although this in not what this thread is about.

The portage capacity you can endure during travel is a good reason to limit the nationalities in a regular weekend tournament, especially travel, without a car, that is more common in Europe than USA, but even travel by car, PP capacity has to be taken into consideration, if all 4 players bring most of their stuff (remember the 1990- ties with mounted mapboards).

Last edited:

STAVKA

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFinland
How many nationalities have their own distinct counters?
Are Axis and Allied Minors still represented by generic counters?
Nationalities in ASL means something different.
Germany (Axis minors use of German counters). Japan. Italy. Finland. Sweden. Axis Minors (Romania, Croatia, etc). Hungary (New set of their own counters).
Partisan (90% casualties in CCCP).
Russia (CCCP, 15 nations in a federation). USA (Phillipines, Brazilians, etc).
British Empire (plenty of nationalities). Allied Minors (Poland, Belgien, Serbia, etc). France, Vichy French. China.

STAVKA

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFinland
How many events or tournaments allow open play where you could possibly use all of the nationalities?
Interesting thread. Thanks for posting it.🤗
None available of the weekend tournaments with 4-6 rounds.
The thread is your "baby" (a miracle) :D

STAVKA

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFinland
It really isn't how many in a tournament setting, but how many within a themed mini. 2-4 makes sense in that context. But a tournament can have a ChiCom mini, a Polish mini, a desert mini, and a heavy armor mini. The winners of those four play two scenarios to pick the final winner. That tournament might feature 11 or 12 nationalities but still gives players that want to "work" on a part of the game by focusing on one aspect of ASL.
If such a regular weekend tournament exist or not, does not matter, since I presume you know what nationalities (3-4 perhaps) to bring along and what you will play.

Old Noob

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I voted for the 5-8 nationalities spot. With more and more counters either proposed or produced by TPP, the weight factor for tourney attendance is
approaching critical mass . With a notice from the tourney director, you can pack only those nationalities that will be highlighted for the tourney.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
I voted for the 5-8 nationalities spot. With more and more counters either proposed or produced by TPP, the weight factor for tourney attendance is
approaching critical mass . With a notice from the tourney director, you can pack only those nationalities that will be highlighted for the tourney.
The days of fitting the entire kit in one beer case, what we used, is long gone. I can see why fewer nationalities at an event is appealing. However if the event has nationalities you don't or rarely play that is an issue. Especially for an event you would otherwise love to attend.

ecz

Partisan Captain
Reaction score
Country
llItaly
sorry for the delay in the answer. The short answer is I prefer less nationalities to make life simple to who travels carrying his ASL kit. On the other hand I realize that TDs could need more options for their list.

But I have experimented in the years an easy way to reduce to a single "Beyond Valor" box everything I can need in a tournament, so it does not really matter how many nationalities I could play.
First of all I do not carry boards, just overlays. There are plenty of boards usually at disposal and sometime the TD provides printed vaslized boards with all terrain changes added and ready for setup.
Second I decide in advance the scenarios I could play. I discard the ones I won't play at home. Then I prepare the setup and the counters I need to play only for the scenarios I will possibly play, including a few spare HS of any kind and a few extra leaders/squads for ELR/BH and of course a number of "?".

The vehicles are usually < 10 per scenario. No need to carry the others 2990. Same for Ordanance. I use zipbags to fit the OBs needed. Plus I carry the "generic counters" in a little box. Again, no reason to carry 300 Prep Fires and 300 Def Fires. I have a good amount of everything I can realistically use in a tournament scenario. So I end with one zipbags per nationality used, filled with the counters needed to play all scenarios in my list PLUS a little separate box with generic counters, plus the dice, plus the ASLRB, plus the Rat-Chart, plus the Dice-Tower. A Backpack can contain everything for the tournament.

Strange enough I have never seen someone using this trick to have everything at low PP cost. Tipically the ASL player OR carries everything using a small truck and invading the tournament hall with bags and suitcases, OR does not carry anything but the dice and sometime the manual.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
sorry for the delay in the answer. The short answer is I prefer less nationalities to make life simple to who travels carrying his ASL kit. On the other hand I realize that TDs could need more options for their list.

But I have experimented in the years an easy way to reduce to a single "Beyond Valor" box everything I can need in a tournament, so it does not really matter how many nationalities I could play.
First of all I do not carry boards, just overlays. There are plenty of boards usually at disposal and sometime the TD provides printed vaslized boards with all terrain changes added and ready for setup.
Second I decide in advance the scenarios I could play. I discard the ones I won't play at home. Then I prepare the setup and the counters I need to play only for the scenarios I will possibly play, including a few spare HS of any kind and a few extra leaders/squads for ELR/BH and of course a number of "?".

The vehicles are usually < 10 per scenario. No need to carry the others 2990. Same for Ordanance. I use zipbags to fit the OBs needed. Plus I carry the "generic counters" in a little box. Again, no reason to carry 300 Prep Fires and 300 Def Fires. I have a good amount of everything I can realistically use in a tournament scenario. So I end with one zipbags per nationality used, filled with the counters needed to play all scenarios in my list PLUS a little separate box with generic counters, plus the dice, plus the ASLRB, plus the Rat-Chart, plus the Dice-Tower. A Backpack can contain everything for the tournament.

Strange enough I have never seen someone using this trick to have everything at low PP cost. Tipically the ASL player OR carries everything using a small truck and invading the tournament hall with bags and suitcases, OR does not carry anything but the dice and sometime the manual.
As Fish always said: Proper prior planning prevents piss poor performance.

The hassles endured by those who fly to attend events amazes me. Well done you all who undertake that adventure.

RRschultze

Reaction score
First name
Ian
Country
llUnited Kingdom
As Fish always said: Proper prior planning prevents piss poor performance.

The hassles endured by those who fly to attend events amazes me. Well done you all who undertake that adventure.
Fail to prepare, prepare to fail as per my moniker!

STAVKA

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFinland
Thanks, for the replies, it was more or less as I thought it would be, among players that participate in tournaments (not all voters do or very seldom).