who plays La Bataille games?

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
Any one here tried these games? A long running series, bound to have it's fans.

RRschultze

Reaction score
First name
Ian
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I’ve just purchased Moscowka to add to Quatre Bras and Dresden. Probably the best looking counters I’ve seen in a board game. I’ve got to confess though that I haven’t played the game. There is a number of rule systems available from Marie Louise (basic) to Regulations (complex not ASL complex though!). Maps are good and functional.

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
I've seen some pictures of the counters and yes they are fabulous.

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Any one here tried these games? A long running series, bound to have it's fans.
I read the rules preparatory to playing on VASSAL with Eric Garrard, but we never did get around to playing. Very detailed rules, sort of ASL for Napoleonics. The counters are visually stunning, yes.

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
I read the rules preparatory to playing on VASSAL with Eric Garrard, but we never did get around to playing. Very detailed rules, sort of ASL for Napoleonics. The counters are visually stunning, yes.
Do you own any of the modules?

Paul_RS

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Any one here tried these games? A long running series, bound to have its fans.
I own all the Modules and have played Quatres Bras to completion (the system was always a retirement project). there are a number of different rulesets The Regs, the Marie Louise Rule, The Regs XXX Ans and the Premier rules.

Most games are out of print. They are the most beautiful counters I've ever seen for a game. Think Napoleonic miniatures in cardboard. The rule sets offer varying levels of complexity but most if not all the games can be played with any ruleset. Just choose the level of detail/complexity that suits your Napoleonic itch.
Games take a long time to play, the larger scenarios are best suited to multiplayer.

Currently there is a limited (300 copies) edition 1 game per year published by the original designers (Marshal Enterprises). The graphics aren’t as polished as the Clash of Arms editions but their rarity means that they appreciate in value quite dramatically.

Not as complex as ASL, but it is still a very complex game, particularly if using the more advanced rulesets. Ricocheting cannonballs anyone?

For Tactical Napoleonics this is the benchmark, IMO.

A less complex and faster playing system is the Eagles series from Hexasim (we've just finished Austerlitz). Also recommended.

Last edited:

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
How many modules are there Paul?

Paul_RS

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Good question. 20-30 I think, if you count the original Marshal Enterprises games. But each is a separate game. The only game that requires other games to play is Mt St Jean and Wavre. You need the counters from Ligny and Quatres Bras, unless you have the MSJ deluxe version.
To collect all the games in the series now would require some extremely deep pockets. Some of the limited-edition games are up on eBay for well north of £600.
Some games are still in print. Moscowa has just been reprinted as has Mt ST Jean (Waterloo). The deluxe version of MSJ includes all the counters you need to play, but has only been released to preorders with some uncertainty if it will hit retail shelves anytime soon. The non-deluxe version, no counters, should be available though. Moscowa was a limited run reprint.
There are loads of replays on YouTube if want to see what it’s all about.
Quatre Bras is a good starting point.
Ligny, Dresde and Moskowa are available from SCG as are a few others.

Marshal Enterprises (labataille.me) None of the more recent publications from ME have VASSAL modules as far as I am aware. Solitaire of FtF only for these beauties at the moment. Nor are they cheap to buy. When published expect to pay £180+ as a minimum as a UK buyer

COA / ME (labataille.us) Rules version and a plethora of other playing aids including a few print and play battles.

if you feel like a more operational level Napoleonic experience then try this site

Napoleon Games – Operational Studies Group

MSJ is still on pre order status at SCG. You can get updates on progress from the Clash of Arms Publishers support forum folder on CSW.

Last edited:

Psycho

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
I'm sure I had I think 4 or maybe 5 of the Clash of Arms copies from the early 90s for just a few years before I traded them away to a dealer for some WW2 games.

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
Received these two last week. All I would like to purchase now is the Mont St. Jean module and I think I will have enough of La Bataille. The Moscow and Dresden modules are tempting but it all starts to get out of hand. I saw Austerlitz for sale at BGG. About £500! There is a battle worth having, but again it all starts getting out of hand.

Paul_RS

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Received these two last week. All I would like to purchase now is the Mont St. Jean module and I think I will have enough of La Bataille. The Moscow and Dresden modules are tempting but it all starts to get out of hand. I saw Austerlitz for sale at BGG. About £500! There is a battle worth having, but again it all starts getting out of hand.

View attachment 22387
Moskowa is very nice, I’d add that to your list. Then you just need the MSJ update, not the deluxe version as you have all the counters you need for Waterloo in the 2 games you have already bought.
I’d forget the the Marshal Enterprises games, the prices on the secondary market are beyond crazy. Wagram sold out in around 4 days. Others take up to a few months To sell out subject to popularity of the battle. The packages are not up to the quality of the CoA games. The counters aren’t quite as sophisticated, graphically ,either, plus you have to print the documentation out yourself. The big battles have all been done, Austerlitz, Leipzig, Wagram etc. and Marshal Enterprises will only print battles that do not involve the British, for some obscure reason.
Another game that’s on my radar is Eylau from New England Simulations. Allegedly being printed later this year. They’ve produced some cracking games over the years that have since become highly sought after.
we’ve played a couple of scenario s from their Jaws of Victory game covering the Korsun Pocket, some very elegant design elements in that game. I think Eylau will be a cracker. Murat’s reckless cavalry charge in a snowstorm, the map looks stunning.

it’s a must buy for me, well worth a look.

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
A little over the top for an ASL thread by now don't ya think (nothing at all to do with ASL).Perhaps consider moving this to another sub-forum on GSF

holdit

Reaction score
Country
llIreland
I've looked at the series a few times but never bought any of the games. The counters do indeed look gorgeous and if I remember correctly have the (for me) killer feature of actually representing the colours of the uniforms instead of a generic nationality colour.

I get my Napoleonics jollies with the John Tiller Napoleonic series of PC games, which has a scenario editor in which you can move units and change their status however you like, unrestricted by the game engine. This makes it a great virtual tabletop for some miniatures rules e.g. Napoleon's Battles or Age of Eagles. Unfortunately it's effectively solo-only, lacking any means of playing online unless you use the engine.

Screenshots: Quatre-Bras setup (2D) and Sehestedt (Isometric)