ASL at WBC

Hutch

Curator of the ASL Armory
Reaction score
First name
Hutch
Country
llUnited States
Cross-posting from the MMP file, since there is a small amount of ASL material.

From Brian on 7/22 on CSW:

Truck packed for WBC, heading out the door first thing in the AM.

Thursday the vendor area opens at WBC. We will have the usual 25% off sale on basically everything at the booth, including the new items! What's new you ask?

GCACW Skirmisher #3 - retails for $20, you can get it for $15 at WBC (AND it will be available on our website on Thursday morning as well!)

Special Ops 10 - the game is a big counter fun little Barbarossa game plus the usual ASL / ASLSK content. There is also an SCS Iron Curtain booklet of additional scenarios! Retails for $40, you can get it for $30 at WBC (AND it will be available on our website on Thursday morning as well!)

Finally, A Victory Awaits, the three map (one big scenario or three individual scenarios one per map) game on Barbarossa (wait another?) is finally finished. Retails for $88, you can get it at WBC for $60. We will NOT be shipping preorders until after we're back from WBC and people have a chance to cancel their preorders (otherwise they'll get another!)

Hopefully see some of you there!

From Perry:

All week at the MMP Demo Booth in open gaming we will be demoing upcoming games like Storm Over Jerusalem and Crown & Crescent, as well as various ASL and ASLSK efforts, and other stuff.

wrongway149

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I was there Sunday - Yesterday (Tuesday) and playtested 'Warriors of England: the War of the Roses' -- a game using the 'Warriors of God' system, but maybe even a bit simpler. Big counters, large map--- It is up for pre-order now, and I will buy this one!

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Oh very kool, I am going to pre order too, I luv that stuff.

I was there Sunday - Yesterday (Tuesday) and playtested 'Warriors of England: the War of the Roses' -- a game using the 'Warriors of God' system, but maybe even a bit simpler. Big counters, large map--- It is up for pre-order now, and I will buy this one!

Hutch

Reaction score
First name
Hutch
Country
llUnited States
Special Operations #10 now on sale at the MMP website:
https://mmpgamers.com/periodicals-c-20

Posted on MMP Website:
Special Ops #10 has ten articles, two ASL scenarios (O19, O20) and two ASLSK scenarios (S90, S91). The magazine also features the game Blitzkrieg to Moscow 2.

Featured articles cover Front Toward Enemy, Iron Curtain (with additional scenarios), Last Blitzkrieg, Panzers Last Stand, and more. There are also a ASL SK article and a couple ASL articles, including a preview of the upcoming HASL covering Marco Polo Bridge.

Blitzkrieg to Moscow 2 , originally published by Bonsai Games, is a quick playing eastern front game. The game has one map, eight pages of rules, 12 cards, and 60 1" counters.

Last edited:

Old Noob

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Any chance on the ASL/ASLSK scenario titles?

Hutch

Reaction score
First name
Hutch
Country
llUnited States
ASL O19, Hey, Mac!, Japanese vs. Americans (USMC), Luzon, Philippines, 6 Turns
ASL O20, Charnwood, Canadian vs. German (SS), Caen, France, 7.5 Turns
ASL S90, They Shall Not Pass, German vs. British, Thermopylae, Greece, 4.5 Turns
ASL S91, Ready or Not, North Korean vs. American, Yongdong, South Korea, 6.0 Turns

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
ASL O19, Hey, Mac!, Japanese vs. Americans (USMC), Luzon, Philippines, 6 Turns
ASL O20, Charnwood, Canadian vs. German (SS), Caen, France, 7.5 Turns
ASL S90, They Shall Not Pass, German vs. British, Thermopylae, Greece, 4.5 Turns
ASL S91, Ready or Not, North Korean vs. American, Yongdong, South Korea, 6.0 Turns
Are you sure of O19 being USMC? Possibly 1942 scenario but most if not all the Marines were on Corregidor (Technically part of Luzon though), as for the 1944-45 campaign in the Philippines it was an U.S. Army affair but there may have been a small detachment of shipboard Marines engaged somewhere on the island at some point that I'm unaware of.

Hutch

Reaction score
First name
Hutch
Country
llUnited States
It takes place on Mt. Pucot on Luzon. It's a scratch force of Marines, Bluejackets and grounded aviation personal.

King Scott

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Are you sure of O19 being USMC? Possibly 1942 scenario but most if not all the Marines were on Corregidor (Technically part of Luzon though), as for the 1944-45 campaign in the Philippines it was an U.S. Army affair but there may have been a small detachment of shipboard Marines engaged somewhere on the island at some point that I'm unaware of.
Yes, 4th Marines (aka The China Marines) were deployed on the line on the Bataan peninsula. Scenario date is 23 JAN 1942.

Semper Fi!
Scott

Old Noob

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Question overtaken by events. By the time I read response to it, I had received my order. Sorry, thank you though.

ScottRomanowski

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
WBC COVID Exposure

I received an email from someone who played WS&IM at WBC:
"Some of us who recently attended WBC may have a Covid 19 exposure, specifically, those who played in tournaments with Alex Slate, who honorably posted his status on the WBC Facebook page. Alex played in the Wooden Ships & Iron Men, Empire Builder, Wingspan, and three Commands & Colors tournaments: Ancients, Medieval, and Napoleonics."

I didn't attend WBC this year so I'm safe, but just in case anyone here attended I thought you should know.

ScottRomanowski

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I received some updates for COVID at WBC:
I thought last night's message would be a "one and done". However, two more guys who played in the Wooden Ships & Iron Men tournament have tested positive for Covid 19, Mark McCandless and Mike Polcen. Both of them played more games than Alex did.

Here are Alex's opponents: Rob McKinney, Bill Thomson, Curtiss Fyock, and Derek Whipple

Here are Mark's opponents: Steve Scarangella, Keith Onderko, Derek Whipple, and Bill Thomson

Here are Mike's opponents: Derek Whipple and Jason Schultz, plus the following players in Saturday's Fleet Action, John Rees, Steve Munchak, and me. I believe two other Fleet Action players left as Mike was joining; Derek Whipple and Jason Schultz.
Tonight I have but one Wooden Ships & Iron Men player to report as having tested positive for Covid 19: Francis Czawlytko.

Francis only played one match during the tournament. His opponent was Bill Thomson.
Steve Scarangella reports that he came down with Covid 19 after WBC.

On the first Saturday of the convention, he played his only game of Wooden Ships & Iron Men. It was against Mark McCandless.

He believes it more likely that he caught his case while playing Here I Stand or History of the World, both multi-player games.