Good CH Products

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
These are the following CH products that I think are worth the money and worth investing playing time in.

Dien Bien Phu
Hell's Bridgehead
Berlin Modules 1+2
Uncommon Valor
Omaha Beach (Possibly the other Normandy beach modules too)
Ponyri (Particularly when coupled with Scott's or Ian's CGs)
Hue
Leatherneck Packs
Paddington Bears Packs
Tractor Works (with a blown up map and Ian's CG)

There are other interesting ones too like Kharkov, Peleliu, Item Pocket, Hurtgen, Sevastopol, Arab Israeli War, World War I etc. But I do not know much about them.

As you can see I do not think all CH products are a waste of time and money. There are some gems out there which with a few amendments and corrections can be great fun. Do you have any favourites? I have probably missed out a few gems.

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
I assume you've played these. What did you like about Omaha?
No I have not played these. I have played bits a pieces from some of them. Omaha is huge in scale and if it is coupled with the play aid created by some fellow ASLers it becomes epic. But I have not played it, only heard about it from others.

Thunderchief

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
I just finished playing the four scenarios from the Action at Carentan pack and we had a good time. Nothing weird or odd about them, just a few scenarios on the same map.
It's been out since 2004 but has seen very little play according to ROAR. I think I got it at ASLOK that year, so I assume quite a few others did too since CH was still quite popular at the time. I have not bought any subsequent versions.

RRschultze

Reaction score
First name
Ian
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I will also add:
Nordic Twilight - No CG game but there is a big scenario
Hill of Blood - designed by Dave Lamb - for the CG it uses Platoon Leader and suggest you use the 'low' column for CPP's

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
Fat fingers when using the phone.....

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Compare what you get in MMP S&F Manila and what you get in a CH product like Hue. There is no contest, you get far more bang for your buck with an MMP product vs a CH product. I mean, for Hue, you are paying over 150 bucks (with discount code) for a map, and a few rules sheets and a few counter sheets, it all looks pretty but then you look at what MMP is offering, a big box, PAPER MAP, several counter sheets, crap ton of scenarios and well thought out rules for under a 110 bucks.

goatleaf1

Reaction score
Country
ll
Why in your mind is it always MMP OR CH? Is there some law that says people cannot buy both? For many of us, CH have produced historical maps, large scale maps, coloured counters, nationality sets and campaigns that MMP have not done. Why not just enjoy the options available and quit the CH bitching. It is especially hollow coming from you who not long ago was CH's leading advocate - I guess somewhere along the line you have allowed some personal angle to interfere with your objective judgement.

TopT

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
If I am not mistaken Scott still buys CH stuff, lately CH Annual # 6 and its expansions plus many others. In buying their product(s), he is comparing apples to apples and can voice his opinion. You may not like his opinion, but he does post on this site (GS) AAR of the many scenarios he has played, and he doesn't just bash CH. He is pretty liberal in criticizing some of the newer released official products or individual producers outside of CH.

CH absolutely does scratch an itch in regard to areas of special interest that are not covered by other producers but the price of admission [for CH products] is something that should be repeated often so that newer or unaware players will definitely know what they are doing when they buy that product. It is the least that we can do.

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
ya I buy some stuff, but what irritates the fuck outta me is how badly edited this stuff can be and yet we are pay alot of money for it. Dont get me wrong, some stuff like the vietnam stuff fun and I do enjoy that stuff, but the price for admission is very steep indeed.

Why in your mind is it always MMP OR CH? Is there some law that says people cannot buy both? For many of us, CH have produced historical maps, large scale maps, coloured counters, nationality sets and campaigns that MMP have not done. Why not just enjoy the options available and quit the CH bitching. It is especially hollow coming from you who not long ago was CH's leading advocate - I guess somewhere along the line you have allowed some personal angle to interfere with your objective judgement.

volgaG68

Fighting WWII One DR At A Time
Reaction score
First name
Chris
Country
llUnited States
The only CH I've purchased was Spanish Fury (1st ed), and it was only $35 or $40. On a scale of 1 to 10, I'd give it a 6-1/2. Decent depiction of certain battles that the Azul Division was in. Some spotty rules proofing, advertised contents vs actual contents, etc, but when I saw it had been PT'd by some of their old-guard PTers like Dave Lamb, I knew there would be at least a semblance of quality/balance/etc. Not great, not bad, but decent. IOW, I thought it had been worth the price. I can't comment on any of their other titles, though some mentioned upstream have been recommended to me before by others.

I haven't purposefully shied away from additional CH purchases, as much as there has been an absolute glut of ASL published in the last decade or so by 100% reputable publishers. With so much stuff from the 100% club to choose from (and direct my $$ to), I simply don't consider looking for more CH whom I consider to be somehwere in the 50-70% "reputable" club. If there was a lack of new stuff from the 100%ers, I might be inclined to reinvestigate CH and try to winnow out some of their quality offerings from the past.

Last edited:

WallysWrld

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llJapan
I like CH 'The Devils Vineyard': I appreciate the larger 22mm hexes, terrain presentation/variation and counters mix. Can test many different tactical 'what ifs' for DYO games, and works well in concert with MMP "Operation Mercury" or AH "Air Assault on Crete". Use these to generate the background context and opposing units/locations that will engage each other at squad leader levels on the CH "Devils Vineyard" map. With the 30% coupon, cost seemed reasonable to me.

I prefer non-overlapping sub-maps (am thinking to trim mine, but haven't yet). Thus, if I owned the company and made a reprint, I'd consider converting the overlap footprint into more play area westwards and southwards for the 12.5" x 18.5" sub-maps. Or go one further and produce a DV-II product (hint, hint) to represent Heraklion and environs; that would also mate up to the existing DV map.