Normandy HASL

DonWPetros

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thanks much, Perry. Looks interesting for sure - really like Normandy stuff and have prepared some Normady geoboards.
Have been reading 'Night Drop' by SLA Marshall. Inspiring.

Perry

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thanks much, Perry. Looks interesting for sure - really like Normandy stuff and have prepared some Normady geoboards.
Have been reading 'Night Drop' by SLA Marshall. Inspiring.
Always like your boards, Don.
Pending the success of Drop Zone: St.-Mere-Eglise, we have plans for other HASLs in the area.

DonWPetros

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Always like your boards, Don.
Pending the success of Drop Zone: St.-Mere-Eglise, we have plans for other HASLs in the area.
Thanks - and let me know how I can help - a Big Normandy fan here :)

Last edited:

Larry

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Much like the US dollar notes, all denominations sporting the same size and the same color.
mainly because we have one wallet ... watch the biographical drama of Ray Charles to get an idea of how the US system plays havoc for the visually impaired. So Charles insisted on being paid on ones.

ScottRomanowski

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
how the US system plays havoc for the visually impaired.
I once dated a woman who was visually impaired; she folded her bills differently based on value, and required the the cashier to hand her the bills separated by type when she got change. It would be much easier if our bills were different sizes. Think of coins, you can often tell how much you have just by feel.

Wayne

Doing Plenty, Kinda Slow
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
This story kinda relates to the WWII era....

Steel pennies during the war years were a problem, too. At a glance, too easily mistaken for a silver dime.

In the late 60s, I met a once-younger WWII-era US grocery cashier. He told me that every time he'd seen a steel penny, he'd take it out of circulation w/prejudice and would put it in a box under his cash register because rush-hour shoppers would try to confuse him and have him count them as dimes.

End of day, he'd have to make up any shortage, of course. Minimum hourly wage then was about 30 cents. As a kid, he may have been making less? Either way, it didn't take too many errors to put a dent in a day's wages. (A dime in 1943 was worth about $1.69 today, 2022.)

He still had the box and in it were over 600 steel pennies (in pretty good condition). He let me cherry-pick one from each US mint for my early teenage penny collection album (long since misplaced).

hongkongwargamer

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
mainly because we have one wallet ... watch the biographical drama of Ray Charles to get an idea of how the US system plays havoc for the visually impaired. So Charles insisted on being paid on ones.
I once worked selling movie tickets in a dark theater stateside. Five minutes into it and i was like “you people are NOT serious”.