Sniper Question

cwillmer

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

The Japanese sniper is in D10. C11, D11, and E11 are all Light Jungle. The foxholes in D11 and E11 were HIP.

The Japanese player chooses D11 as his target. The American then reveals the foxholes in D11 and E11. Note that some units are in the foxholes and others are outside them.

Question: Can the American reveal the foxholes after D11 is chosen or must he do so before?

Question: Are D11 and E11 now valid sniper targets given the presence of the foxholes? If yes, does the sniper attack all units in the chosen hex subject to random selection?

Thanks,
Charlie

EagleIV

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I am assuming D10 is where the sniper is after D&D, but before the alternate target is selected.

The presence of units outside the foxholes means that all 3 locations have the same TEM (+1). The foxholes would increase this to +2 only if every unit in the location were in the foxhole.

If there weren't units outside the foxholes A14.21 isn't clear, but I would assume that the hidden fortifications would have to be revealed after the D&D DR, but before the alternate location is picked.

Michael R

Minor Hero
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
A14.21 ALTERNATE TARGET: If the present target hex contains neither an eligible target (14.22) nor the enemy Sniper counter, the attacking Sniper counter is moved to, and will attack, the hex closest (in hexes) to that target hex which does contain one/both of them. Should ≥ two such hexes be equidistant, the Location with the lowest TEM is the target. Only the lowest (to a minimum of zero) in-hex TEM/SMOKE DRM applicable to any eligible target currently occupying that hex, regardless of LOS, is considered in the comparison [EXC: the +1 HA TEM, and the +1 Factory (but not that building) TEM, are NA]. Hidden Fortifications (e.g., entrenchments, Fortified Building Locations) may be revealed at this time. If the target hex is still undetermined, the Sniper player chooses which of those equidistant hexes to attack.

It sounds to me like the fortifications are revealed before the choice of hex. There is no Q&A that I could find.

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
In as much as all 3 Locations have the same TEM for the units outside the foxholes, any one of them may be selected as the sniper's target hex. Once it has selected a hex all targets therein are eligible targets because a foxhole does not create a separate Location. Regardless of the additional TEM for the unit(s) in the foxholes, all targets in the same Location are eligible targets once a hex has been selected.

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
This also will come into play in your situation in hex D11, if it is chosen.

14.23 CONCEALED TARGETS: If the eligible possible targets include
both concealed and unconcealed units,
treat the concealed stack as one possible
target (regardless of how many units it actually contains) for Random
Selection purposes.
Then, if a concealed stack is chosen as the sniper’s target
(either per the above Random Selection or if all units are concealed), the
sniper player’s opponent must declare the number (only) of eligible possible
targets that stack contains. If it contains none (i.e., is a Dummy stack), it is
automatically eliminated. If it contains one, that unit is selected. If it contains
two or more, the player rolls for Random Selection accordingly.

apbills

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
A14.21 ALTERNATE TARGET: If the present target hex contains neither an eligible target (14.22) nor the enemy Sniper counter, the attacking Sniper counter is moved to, and will attack, the hex closest (in hexes) to that target hex which does contain one/both of them. Should ≥ two such hexes be equidistant, the Location with the lowest TEM is the target. Only the lowest (to a minimum of zero) in-hex TEM/SMOKE DRM applicable to any eligible target currently occupying that hex, regardless of LOS, is considered in the comparison [EXC: the +1 HA TEM, and the +1 Factory (but not that building) TEM, are NA]. Hidden Fortifications (e.g., entrenchments, Fortified Building Locations) may be revealed at this time. If the target hex is still undetermined, the Sniper player chooses which of those equidistant hexes to attack.

It sounds to me like the fortifications are revealed before the choice of hex. There is no Q&A that I could find.
The key word (underlined) is "may". You have a choice to reveal. You may wish to do this if it prevents the sniper from attacking that hex. In this case, all hexes have units in +1 TEM, so it does not matter and revealing does nothing but give extra information to the opponent. Given these foxholes were still concealed, case "L" of the concealment loss table is most likely in play, "L. If a unit therein loses its "?"/HIP, or if use of its protective DRM is claimed." Given you don't use TEM for a sniper attack, I would say you don't have to reveal the foxhole unless the sniper attacks a unit IN the foxhole ("unit therein" referencing the FORTIFICATION) and causes it to lose its "?". Per the third bullet in A12.14 "is attacked by a Sniper (dr 1 or 2; 14.3).", a unit loses its "?" if attacked.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Phew! Looking at the situation, the Japanese are in a more desperate need of an OBA mission rather than a Sniper... 😬

von Marwitz