Is this forum dead?

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
I am not talking about the "country flag", but the "picture" for which you can select anything you (or the net) has to offer.

von Marwitz
My bad about the forum offering it as an avatar. I didn't read the post till just now. Sorry moderators.

Doug Leslie

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
In the words of the great Joni Mitchell, "Don't it always seem to go that you don't know what you've got till it's gone?"

I wasn't active on GS when political arguments were raging and I am quite happy that they are excluded (although it seems that perhaps some posts would be better dealt with by a warning rather than an insta-ban). There are plenty of places to visit on the internet if you want to pick a political fight but there is a time and a place. All that I can say is that it is great to have a site that is free of advertising or a propensity to harvest personal details for onward transmission to others and which has taught me a huge amount about the finer points of ASL.

Last edited:

Vic Provost

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Vic
Country
llUnited States
well, from my vantage point, I see very few new postings here, very rare to see new subjects talked about so with that said, is this forum dead in the water? What can be done to try and improve this forum for better participation?
I'm here every day and post as needed, it would be a great loss if it ever went away, Vic.

Neal

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I check in semi-daily, but don't post an awful lot since I joined on this account (lurked on other accounts for years). I search the rules forum occasionally, and pester Doug Rimmer with messages. 😁

The ASL community is just too spread out and siloed across a bunch of different communities. I can't keep up on all of them (except consimworld, it's unusable 😂), and most people can't, so they probably just pick one community and stick with it for the most part.

I have experience moderating very large forums, and in my experience the stratification of communities happens when various groups find places where they feel like they fit in with the tone and level of moderation. With regards to political discussion, I never partake in it myself, but it's almost impossible to keep people from doing it these days. And when you try you just alienate and piss them off, so they find somewhere else. /shrug

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
I check in semi-daily, but don't post an awful lot since I joined on this account (lurked on other accounts for years). I search the rules forum occasionally, and pester Doug Rimmer with messages. 😁

The ASL community is just too spread out and siloed across a bunch of different communities. I can't keep up on all of them (except consimworld, it's unusable 😂), and most people can't, so they probably just pick one community and stick with it for the most part.

I have experience moderating very large forums, and in my experience the stratification of communities happens when various groups find places where they feel like they fit in with the tone and level of moderation. With regards to political discussion, I never partake in it myself, but it's almost impossible to keep people from doing it these days. And when you try you just alienate and piss them off, so they find somewhere else. /shrug
Yep. These things happen.

volgaG68

Fighting WWII One DR At A Time
Reaction score
First name
Chris
Country
llUnited States
I like GS because it is the ASL news source, IMO. The other platforms might also have a particular upcoming release mentioned, or a mention of someone having passed away, or some of the upcoming tourney, MMP, TPP news, but GameSquad pretty much has it all; or at least the highest concentration of it.

I like Discord primarily for the often instantaneous rules questions and answers. There are some equally heavy-hitters over there for rules knowledge; some overlapping here as well. It also has "stickied" (or made more/less permanent) a fun variety of ASL-related channels, such as the "What I Did Today In ASL" kind of thing. The Mods there are no more harsh/fair than here. I think they do a good job, like here.

Having abandoned FB, the above are the only two platforms I use for ASL. Personally, I enjoy how GS/Discord either delete socio-political comments and/or suggest they take that sort of thing elsewhere. I come to these two forums for one thing, and one thing alone.....ASL. I could care less what vonMarwitz's thoughts are on the Ukraine or what GunnerScott thinks about abortion (just made-up examples, guys!!!). I want to see what they think about the new LFT pack or their pros and cons on overlay usage, or their review of a scenario. I get my fill of that sort of thing, and then log out.

Like pretty much everyone here, I have some very strong personal opinions on current (and past) politics, social issues, religion, etc. I have two OTHER forums I go to in order to converse and debate about those subjects. That is what those other forums are expressedly for. I would really miss GS if it disappeared.

Old Noob

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Gamesquad is the place for ASL. I had a question concerning some Finnish scenarios from the Annuals (very pre-HP), being updated.
The question was, were they going to included in the upcoming 2022 Hakkaa Paalle reprint. The answer was no, it is just a straight reprint.
So, thank you very much to George Bates.

Barking Monkey

Reaction score
First name
John
Country
llUnited States
I'm surprised by both the initial premise and also the lack of it's being questioned regarding the site traffic. I've been a member since mid 2015 and don't see any significant difference in the volume of postings since then. Is the reference relating to a comparison between now and sometime before that? 'cuz going back over 7 years seems like a lot of digging. (I'm only addressing the ASL part of GS - I really don't pay any attention to the other forums, perhaps the initial comment was accurate about those?)

Houlie

CEO of HoulieDice (TM)
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I'm surprised by both the initial premise and also the lack of it's being questioned regarding the site traffic. I've been a member since mid 2015 and don't see any significant difference in the volume of postings since then. Is the reference relating to a comparison between now and sometime before that? 'cuz going back over 7 years seems like a lot of digging. (I'm only addressing the ASL part of GS - I really don't pay any attention to the other forums, perhaps the initial comment was accurate about those?)
Fair question. Data is always good. FWIW, as a long-time member who visits almost daily, the number of threads and posts have diminished noticeably. I first saw a decline starting a couple years back in the form of fewer threads, a number of "regulars" posting less frequently (or have left GS entirely), additional ASL sites, etc.

VonHutier

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
No way is this forum dead ! There's always something new...and the rules and errata section is a Godsend....ASL players supporting each other.
If it was gone...😭

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Don't knock it, works for me! The treachery involves an open bottle of Whiskey and a large glass on my opponents side... a couple turns in and its a cake walk.
Well tequila would be my choice but whatever works. Any liquor in a storm. 😉