Best Scenarios Of All Time

applecatcher4

Reaction score
Country
ll
Hi All
Me and Dave (Illuminating Rounds) are thinking of featuring a discussion of the best scenarios of all time. There is a Hall of Fame and some previous threads on here which we will look at but it would be nice to get some totally up to date responses.

Can you tell us the scenarios that you think are the best of the best and - maybe - tell us a little but why?

I am looking forward to this and will almost certainly play a selection.

If I had to answer this question, it would be Darkest Day from Valor of the Guards. I simply felt this was a scenario that had everything going for it - intense urban action with heavily fortified and sneaky Russians holding out against the best that the German OOB has to throw at the them. Big enough to be a real challenge but easily do-able in a longish session.

I loved this.

Can't wait to hear your nominations.
Martin

Michael R

Minor Hero
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Best of all time seems too lofty to me. I suggest sticking with the Hall Of Fame concept. Look for more scenarios to add to said hall.

Psycho

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
I can't help but think my scenarios inspired this thread, right... hello? guys? where ya going? wait up!

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
This question comes up every now and then. A quick search turned up this thread (from 2017). Since then, some newer scenarios might have made it to the lists, but that thread is a good starting point anyway.

von Marwitz

macrobo

King of Boxcars
Reaction score
First name
Rob
Country
llAustralia
Ah - This is what happens when a man goes into retirement!!! - too much time to think :)

10000 + scenarios in existence - Who knows about infinity???

macrobo

King of Boxcars
Reaction score
First name
Rob
Country
llAustralia
:rolleyes:

If I win it!!! - its my favourite all the time - "King of Boxcars"

Last edited:

bendizoid

Official ***** Dickweed
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
My first SL scenario was ‘The Hedgehog of Piepsk’. I was 14 years old and won as the German. I remember, forty-four years ago, looking at the Russian horde thinking “This doesn’t look good, 7 squads against WHAT ?!?!” My friend had played me for a sucker (“Here, you take the Germans”) but I lucked out and picked the 3 fire-mission chit and had the foresight to put my observer where he could see, carnage and victory. I was hooked. Therefore ‘Hedgehog’ is my favorite.

Last edited:

'Ol Fezziwig

Repressed Dissident
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
'Greatest of All Time" encompasses a snapshot of time, memory... myself, the Greatest scenario I ever played was The Mighty Maus v Carl "The Impaler' Nogiera... we ran out of blaze counters including those from my two copies of SL and still had to mark the perimeter only of the conflagration. The battle was bloody-I may have been the first person to lose 2 Maus (damned FlammHetzer!).

An epic, memorable and extremely tense scenario that went down to the wire. Simply insane experience.

Thunderchief

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
I have said it in various places on GS but one of my favourites is LN 13:

It's from the first CH Leatherneck Pack, so probably 30+ years old now.
4 boards, dense jungle, night.
OBA on board and off board.
50-ish USMC, guns and SW across numerous positions vs 100+ Japanese squads 20+ leaders DC, FT etc.
It took us about 20 hours on VASL over 12 sessions.

Loved it. I gave it a 9 on ROAR.

Vic Provost

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Vic
Country
llUnited States
For me, I have to go with Hill 621 from the original Squad Leader, played it a lot before ASL and then played the ASL version several times. It maybe not very historical but damn, it was a ton of fun. For PTO fans I have to go with 71 Jungle Citadel, I had an unreal playing against Allen Loiselle when it came out, I'll never forget generating a Chinese Hero who grabbed a FT and left a trail of blazes in his wake. I lost on the last CC roll of the game but it might have been as much fun as I ever had in this hobby, though I did have a mistaken attack by my own OBA as the observer plane could not make out who was who on the ground. Sad for that platoon.

This game has cost me a lot of $ BUT I have more than got it back in fun and friendships in the hobby, Vic.

Last edited:

Paul John

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
More recently, J178, Old Friends is a really fun scenario and a great challenge for dealing with American combined arms vs. an always desperate feeling but dangerous German OB.

holdit

Reaction score
Country
llIreland
The Hedgehog of Piepsk is my stand-out memory from the SL days, and the ASL version has retained the feel. I used it when introducing a friend to SL. He started off rubbing has hands together at the sight of all those Russian squads, but by the end was shaking his head ruefully, "That is one badass German in that building..." (the MG+leader were having a particularly good day).

THOP is a great scenario for showing what can be achieved by a small force with good leadership and a dash of OBA against what should be overwhelming numbers.