Vehicle CA marking?

Jazz

Inactive
Reaction score
Country
llLithuania
How does one get rid of that obnoxious red corner on the VCA?

I can see where my opponent's vehicle is pointing under a concealment counter.... More importantly I can see that it is a vehicle and not a dummy.

hongkongwargamer

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
How does one get rid of that obnoxious red corner on the VCA?

I can see where my opponent's vehicle is pointing under a concealment counter.... More importantly I can see that it is a vehicle and not a dummy.
Select one of your AFV's ... do alt+shift+W

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
That red CA should be toggled off as a default.
It is more annoying than useful.
What use does it have, btw?

JimWhite

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
What is this "obnoxious red corner on the VCA" of which you all speak?

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
The CA of vehicles and guns is now marked in red.

apbills

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Select one of your AFV's ... do alt+shift+W
Make sure you have all your vehicles pulled and onboard before you do this. It toggles all of them, so it will toggle the red corner ON if you already have it off on some of them.

It would be nice to have this as a setting on the VASL tab in the preferences.

johnl

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Is there a VASL Usergroup that vets changes? I don't remember seeing a proposal for this change.

DougRim

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Is there a VASL Usergroup that vets changes? I don't remember seeing a proposal for this change.
Ha Ha! That’s a good one.

No there is no user group, no vetting. Vasl is open source software and anyone is welcome to make changes to it. Nothing is stopping you or anyone else from making this a preference.

I added this change because I thought it was an interesting addition. I deliberately made it default on because otherwise no one would have ever found it and tried it. The proof of that is in Jazz’s original post. The answer to his question is in the user notes on vasl.info but nobody reads those or they wouldn’t keep asking the same question.

Now that people have seen this functionality (and some like it) I will probably make the default off in vasl6.6.4 which will come out in the spring.

Sorry if this sounds defensive. I can take criticism for my work. Sometimes you try stuff and it works; sometimes it doesn’t.

hongkongwargamer

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Ha Ha! That’s a good one.

No there is no user group, no vetting. Vasl is open source software and anyone is welcome to make changes to it. Nothing is stopping you or anyone else from making this a preference.

I added this change because I thought it was an interesting addition. I deliberately made it default on because otherwise no one would have ever found it and tried it. The proof of that is in Jazz’s original post. The answer to his question is in the user notes on vasl.info but nobody reads those or they wouldn’t keep asking the same question.

Now that people have seen this functionality (and some like it) I will probably make the default off in vasl6.6.4 which will come out in the spring.

Sorry if this sounds defensive. I can take criticism for my work. Sometimes you try stuff and it works; sometimes it doesn’t.
Thanks for your work and your trying out new ideas with VASL.

bprobst

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Bruce
Country
llAustralia
Nice try.
So you can't take criticism of your work? Seems like you're just implementing stuff you think might be neat and don't really care if anyone disagrees, falling back on the old "oh, anyone can work on the code, it's not my fault if people don't like the surprises I spring on them".

A vetting process sure would be nice, but I guess that would require someone who accepts feedback. I mean, it's just silly that someone would implement a change and not check to see if it breaks the game in any way, e.g., by revealing units when they are supposed to be concealed -- how could that possibly happen?

hongkongwargamer

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Taking criticisms and doing everything that anyone says are two different things.

Labels on weather counters and being able to see CA arrows on Concealed counters, again, are two different things. (a bit more accurate than "revealing units when they are supposed to be concealed". )

There's a vetting process, it has always been going on. Doug volunteer his work and we tell him the issues we see. Doug has always been around to look at and to respond to issues that well up in play.

Personally I am extremely grateful that gents like Doug have been relentlessly trying out new ideas to improve VASL play. In the last 2 years, they are an absolute lifesaver. VASL is some of the best software I have ever used.

As such I do not feel entitled to anything.

Last edited: