#58: Gut Punch pt 2

Gamer72

Reaction score
First name
Ian
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Thanks chaps. Regarding that Close Combat in the tournament final, there were two of them, one a wounded leader against a half squad with no Ambush, the other the one you mention, where I had a brain fart and sent a 1-2-6 into the CC to bump the odds to 3:2, momentarily forgetting that that would add a +1 Lax drm to the Ambush roll. Final drm were +2 for me (Lax and Attacker in jungle) and -3 for Toby (Stealthy And Concealed). Can’t remember the exact rolls, but must have been a 1 or a 2 for me and a 5 or a 6 for Toby. So, no Ambush and mutual destruction. In the other CC, I needed to roll a DR of 6 or less : rolled a 5. Toby has given a very good and fair account of the final elsewhere on Gamesquad, so nothing more for me to add except that Toby is a very pleasant and knowledgeable opponent to play against, and I enjoyed our game very much.

JoeArthur

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
It was a fun game Dave - thank you.

The bit that I remember is trying to get across that road. Your squad with LMG rolls a three on my dash. Dead squad.

Firelane of 1 - I had to get across. Another squad goes - you roll a three. Dead squad.

Another squad goes - you roll another three. Dead squad.

Three squads gone in three rolls 🙄 As Craig says it's the -2 shots that kill you.

I was trying to say "my vehicles are not holding you in close combat" but all that would come out was "are you sure" 😁

It was a tourny game...........but I'd have told you eventually.

Many thanks to you and Martin for another fun episode - and next time you take my picture please remind me to suck in the gut.👍

Last edited:

simon131

Reaction score
Country
ll
Hi guys thx for the report on Bounding Fire Blackpool and good to see you both at the tournament. We had 44 attendees in total of which 30 entered the main tournament. This meant we were able to run two equivalent tourneys (same prizes etc.) of 16 and 14 participants which we decided to split by Crusader ladder rating rather than a complete random draw as this seemed the most equitable solution to give everyone a fair crack at progressing to the semis. As you say Ian Morris beat Toby Pilling in the group of 16 and in the other final Ian Pollard came out the winner against Peter Burbery. Winners received a very nice Ian Willey diorama plus a voucher for the just released Operation Neptune courtesy of our friends at Bounding Fire. The runners up received respectively Fight for Seoul and The Green Hell of Inor thanks to LFT. There were also prizes for the losing semi finalists and the group stage runners up. Minis were held on Thursday with dice prizes courtesy of Battleschool and over the weekend. We were also able to have draws for signed ASL artwork thanks to Ken Smith and a dice tower from the late Sam Belcher. Further prizes were provided by Lone Canuck and Second Chance Games so overall we were able to hand out over 25 prizes to participants. The Headlands hotel is again booked for 2022 (15th-20th November) and I hope we can build on the success of this years event and crack 50 + attendees. Scenario playtesting is already underway.

You flagged in your piece that some players had already playtested some of the scenarios used. This hasn’t been an issue in previous years but as Bounding Fire expand their playtesting base we have to acknowledge this could now occur. It was therefore important we made provision for this in the tournament rules so we incorporated the following:- “If either player has played the scenario previously (perhaps by way of playtesting) then they must declare this and come to an agreement with their opponent on how to proceed by either ceding balance and / or sides or agree to play an alternative, published scenario of similar size / length”. To our minds this seemed a fair and balanced way to address the issue and I’m not aware that we had any problems with such circumstances.

Looking forward to your next episode and more of “Toby’s tips” on entrenchments.

lightspeed

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Another excellent episode!

And thanks to Simon for the details about Blackpool...it sounds like another Simon/Martin success!

indy