[POLL] Do you play other games than ASL?

Do you play other games besides ASL?

• Yes

Votes: 112 81.2%
  • No

Votes: 24 17.4%
  • Shoot Vinnie

Votes: 2 1.4%

• Total voters

fenyan

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I used to play all sorts of games from eurogames to miniatures to magic but less time and gaming groups drifting apart gave me the opportunity to pursue ASL. If I had more time, I'd play more ASL. If I had even more time then I'd try to get some other games in.

TopT

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
trying to learn the Tokyo Express/Carrier system
That is on my learn to-play list.

As far as other games, I dabble a bit in D&D 5e, CoC 7e, & LOB (all solo).

ASL is my #1 game though but I am on a hiatus from all play as my wife & I negotiate her pancreatic cancer diagnosis.

kcole4001

Stray Cat
Reaction score
First name
Kevin
Country
llCanada
Other games?
Absolutely.
Aside from PC games, ASL takes top prize for sheer size and investment, but anything from Axis & Allies to more complex area movement games like Breakthrough Cambrai & Storm Over Stalingrad.
I used to RPG a lot, from D&D (up to 2nd Ed.) to Battletech and many in between.
Also some more recent family type games like Lords Of Waterdeep.

Hoping to either get back together virtually with some of the old gang for a Dragon Quest campaign, or at least D&D in some form as a fall back plan. (Dragon Quest was a superior system in our opinions, still available as a free download, though the hard copies are very scarce now).

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
That is on my learn to-play list.

As far as other games, I dabble a bit in D&D 5e, CoC 7e, & LOB (all solo).

ASL is my #1 game though but I am on a hiatus from all play as my wife & I negotiate her pancreatic cancer diagnosis.
Our prayers go out to her, you and your entire family.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Well bitd while mainly ASL we would take the occasional break and play Up Front, Axis and Allies, Strat-O-Matic Baseball, Circus Maximus, Shogun, Wrasslin' or one of Fish's " classic " games.

Wrasslin' was one of the few non ASL " games for life " that we tried.

Now nothing really.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Well bitd while mainly ASL we would take the occasional break and play Up Front, Axis and Allies, Strat-O-Matic Baseball, Circus Maximus, Shogun, Wrasslin' or one of Fish's " classic " games.

Now nothing really.
The common denominator of the other games was that they were quick to learn and easy to play. Although we did struggle initially with Up Front until another player helped us out. Great game and we played a lot of it.

Fish would bring down some game he had already learned the rules for and was itching to play. He would briefly go over the rules and we would start gunnin'. Then the jick would spring some rule on me that we hadn't gone over! Lol what a jick!

We were playing Shogun, btw a rather fun game, something happened and he says " your Daimyo is dead! ". Lmao. Good times no matter what we were playing.

Last edited:

holdit

Reaction score
Country
llIreland
Chess is the only other board game I play but I have an Escape from Colditz reprint that I keep forgetting to take for a spin..
I have a system for playing out Napoleonic miniatures rules ("Age of Eagles") solo on my PC. Ditto for "Fire and Fury" ACW rules.
Otherwise it's mostly computer wargaming:
  • The War at Sea (3D Naval WW2 Pacific)
  • Field of Glory II (Ancients & Medieval)
  • Total War when I want to give my brain a rest (Rome 2/Medieval 2/Shogun 2)
  • Combat Mission (WW2 3D Tactical but I actually find ASL more satisfying)

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
The common denominator of the other games was that they were quick to learn and easy to play. Although we did struggle initially with Up Front until another player helped us out. Great game and we played a lot of it.

Fish would bring down some game he had already learned the rules for and was itching to play. He would briefly go over the rules and we would start gunnin'. Then the jick would spring some rule on me that we hadn't gone over! Lol what a jick!

We were playing Shogun, btw a rather fun game, something happened and he says " your Daimyo (?) is dead! ". Lmao. Good times no matter what we were playing.
We played the 1986 Milton Bradley version of Shogun.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States

Now nothing really.
One of the games for life that Fish wanted to play was Quest for the Ideal Mate. I thought it was pointless since I was already manacled to Actiondebbie. 🥰🥰

Total bs but Colonel Cuervo thought it was funny.

Did receive Quest though.

jimfer

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
ASL is #1 of course but a very close 2nd is Fire in the East/Scorched Earth/The Urals. I bought Total War & eventually received the bulk of it minus the rules which were promised but have as yet not been delivered (& will most probably not). 🤷‍♂️
I've also played (or at least setup & pushed around solo of course) many Command Magazines/XTR games & some Barbarossa series from GMT, a little Winter Sturm series from COA & OCS East Front stuff from MMP/Gamers. & various games here & there.
this is FitE/SE/tU setup sometime about 92 I think when I was playing it solo. I only got thru about Apr 42 before my mom needed the dining room table for Thanksgiving! damn holidays! :mad:
View attachment 19590
In the "olden days" I had a room dedicated to Scorched Earth/Urals. We set up teams of 4 players to a side, one in overall command &3 front commanders, and would meet on Saturdays. Played for 2 years switching sides. It was a blast. A group of dedicated players makes it an enjoyable endeavor. It is funny how wives and moms decide that rooms are needed for other purposes, deep sigh....

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
In the "olden days" I had a room dedicated to Scorched Earth/Urals. We set up teams of 4 players to a side, one in overall command &3 front commanders, and would meet on Saturdays. Played for 2 years switching sides. It was a blast. A group of dedicated players makes it an enjoyable endeavor. It is funny how wives and moms decide that rooms are needed for other purposes, deep sigh....
Ain't that the truth about wives. I have drawn the line at Actiondebbie attempting to rearrange my bedroom but it really is just an empty gesture. A futile gesture but I have to pretend to myself that I still have a say in such things. 🙄

thedrake

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
ASL is The One True Wargame but I do play others. Full Thrust (spaceship combat minis), Great Battles of History series, GBACW/GCACW series, Lock N Load Tactical series, GTS/CSS, GOSS, Next war series, GMT Simonitch 4X's series, MBT and SCS/OCS/BCS series, just to name a few.

Steve H

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I have had a number of Avalon Hill games since I was young but I have recently re-started playing both the AH/Sports Illustrated games Paydirt and Statis Pro Baseball. There are a few guys in the US creating all the past baseball and football seasons for them as my original ones are quite old.

Last edited:

Stewart

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llRussia
Yes, but that post was removed from the moderator/admin

Double Deuce

Forum Conscript
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
For the last few years was running a D&D game online (Fantasy Grounds) but in the last few months we switched to Savage Worlds. After the New Year, we'll go back to D&D and since I convinced one of my players to GM, I'll finally get a break and be able to just play.
EDIT: Also wanted to add I also play Combat Mission, but only occasionally.

Last edited:

TopT

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
For the last few years was running a D&D game online (Fantasy Grounds) but in the last few months we switched to Savage Worlds. After the New Year, we'll go back to D&D and since I convinced one of my players to GM, I'll finally get a break and be able to just play.
Do you utilize all the bells and whistles from the extensions that are produced for FG (IE: rob2e, madnomad, ect.)? The sound effects/ visuals are great and really add to the ambiance while playing.