What are your ASL scenario plans this week?

Steve H

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Did anyone swim? If I could tell Bill Hayward that they did, he would be quite happy.
No...no one had to swim. But I could see some people maybe having to resort to that if the US comes on very aggressive and quick. Good thing the Chaffees couldn't ford. We both thought it was brilliant with the 2 VPs for a destroyed AFV. Really makes sure the US can't be reckless with his armour.

Vinnie

See Dummies in the index
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Well yesterday I played Steve at SP29 Schlosse Bubungen. A nice small scenario featuring board 6 and an M12 GMC.
The thing I was most pleased with was recalling that I had WP smoke grenades which I used to break the concealment of his final defender. Of course he rolled a coloured 6 in a fortified building locatioon so broke, gifting me the win.

This Friday, the Friday nighters are playing SP95 Burn Gurkha, burn! which is one I'm l;ooking forward to!

Ric of The LBC

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Saturday, I hope to play at SoCal ASL club gameday in Bellflower. The Guild House. Haven't been able to make it since April. There has been an obligation on each of the 2nd Saturdays of each month that has kept me from attending.

Vic Provost

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Vic
Country
llUnited States
This Saturday the Dispatch #53 playtest takes me, Tom and Ralph to China in August 1945 for a 3 way scenario, designed by Tom for 3 players with different nationalities (USA, Warlord troops as GMD Chinese & Red Chinese). USA is trying to exit while the other 2 sides are just trying to kill everyone. Sounds like ASL FUN! Vic.

volgaG68

Fighting WWII One DR At A Time
Reaction score
First name
Chris
Country
llUnited States
Today, starting Date 4(5) of LCP's Drive For St. Lo TM. US has about 70% of the map, but their lines are stretched thin in many parts. A smaller pocket allows the Germans to set up denser Fortifications, so the slog will only get tougher. No German counterattacks yet as the US has been slowly battering them back. US getting plenty of LVP, but not so sure they have been keeping the pace on the CVP-ratio that they need alongside that. CVP-wise, the Germans are making them pay for the gains that they make. Should be very interesting going into the final Date after this.

Ric of The LBC

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I watched the Illuminating Rounds play through of Fighting Withdrawal and decided to solo it never having played it. As I started I was wondering if anyone had tried a strategy of using one or two of the Russian HIP squads to start lighting fires in the backfield? With the wind and dry conditions, it would seem a method of denying a covered path that I've seen the Finns use in other AARs to get off the board. Specifically H9. Maybe L8 and J0 too.

Michael R

Minor Hero
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
I watched the Illuminating Rounds play through of Fighting Withdrawal and decided to solo it never having played it. As I started I was wondering if anyone had tried a strategy of using one or two of the Russian HIP squads to start lighting fires in the backfield? With the wind and dry conditions, it would seem a method of denying a covered path that I've seen the Finns use in other AARs to get off the board. Specifically H9. Maybe L8 and J0 too.
Interesting idea, but remember that the MMC requires a leader to kindle.

Vic Provost

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Vic
Country
llUnited States
This weekend I'll be in Albany for a couple rounds of their tourney there, will be good to play Steve Johns in J188 Grab and Go and then
Joe Leoce in DTF-14 Pillbox Pains. It will be great not to be playtesting for a change. :) Looking forward to seeing the usual suspects and having a great time, win or lose, Vic.

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Ok, this is turning out to be an excellent scenario, no crazy ass set ups or 100 different VC's to worry about, just try to boot the Russians from their positions and thats it. We stopped on on russian turn 2 and plan to resume monday evening. So far the Germans have taken the Apothacary hexes and are slowly working their way around the Commissars house. The Germans did breach one hexside of the commissars house and pushed an Engineer HS into the hex but the Russians won the CC and thus threw back the German attack. We also luv the concealment SSR for the commissars house, nice touch.

Oh I forgot to mention, the Russians in the bottom long building near the volga river, the leader and squad had broken and routed into the cellar with another squad, in the next rally phase the leader rolls boxcars, dies so the two squads had to take LLMC, both rolled snake eyes then both went berzerk (there was a German squad on an upper level of one of the buildings that saw into the cellar) So on my turn 2 those guys will be flying int their death.

Vic Provost

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Vic
Country
llUnited States
Ok, this is turning out to be an excellent scenario, no crazy ass set ups or 100 different VC's to worry about, just try to boot the Russians from their positions and thats it. We stopped on on russian turn 2 and plan to resume monday evening. So far the Germans have taken the Apothacary hexes and are slowly working their way around the Commissars house. The Germans did breach one hexside of the commissars house and pushed an Engineer HS into the hex but the Russians won the CC and thus threw back the German attack. We also luv the concealment SSR for the commissars house, nice touch.

Oh I forgot to mention, the Russians in the bottom long building near the volga river, the leader and squad had broken and routed into the cellar with another squad, in the next rally phase the leader rolls boxcars, dies so the two squads had to take LLMC, both rolled snake eyes then both went berzerk (there was a German squad on an upper level of one of the buildings that saw into the cellar) So on my turn 2 those guys will be flying int their death.
Have FUN with that one Scott, we sure did playtesting it, good old Stalingrad, the battle that keeps on giving, Vic.

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Ya, this is a good one and will rank up there with one down two go, blood and guts and so on.

Man just with you guys could reign in hershey on his designs, they are interesting but he adds so much unnecessary complications to those designs that it stops feeling like I am playing a Stalingrad scenario.

Have FUN with that one Scott, we sure did playtesting it, good old Stalingrad, the battle that keeps on giving, Vic.

Vic Provost

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Vic
Country
llUnited States
Andy is awesome and does love his details, he is a simulationist for sure but I try to balance the designs we offer so something for everyone. One of the reasons I loved Steve Johns scenarios is it only had an SSR or two but know why Andy does what he does, his scenarios always show intense feel for that environment and getting it as close to what he wants to portray in what went on.

In any event, Enjoy! Happy Holidays, Vic.

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The problem is those scenarios stop feeling like Stalingrad and feel like a book keeping exercise which is not fun and kills any replayability. Ya we will play the guys stuff initially but honestly, who really wants to go through the hassle of noodling through complicated SSR's, set ups and 12 dozen or more VC's for one scenario? Again to boot? If thats your jam, then more power to ya but I think for many, it is not.

Scott

Andy is awesome and does love his details, he is a simulationist for sure but I try to balance the designs we offer so something for everyone. One of the reasons I loved Steve Johns scenarios is it only had an SSR or two but know why Andy does what he does, his scenarios always show intense feel for that environment and getting it as close to what he wants to portray in what went on.

In any event, Enjoy! Happy Holidays, Vic.

olli

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llGermany
Playing FLP4 from Op Martlet by LCP tonight and another from the pack next Thursday. One game tonight is against Dave Blackwood , the other next Thursday against John Martin.

Last edited:

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Plan to playtest a set of RB/RO scenarios I am designing, here is one of them I have set up for a Newyears Game.