Battle at Changjin Movie Review

ibncalb

Reaction score
Country
llFrance
I'm back in the UK for a few days and managed to cast the last screening of this movie in Liverpool.

The timing wasn't great for me but if I didn't watch it here the best I could have managed would have been to watch it with french subtitles if indeed it is ever released in France.

I asked a couple of Liverpool wargaming buddies if they would like to come with me, fortunately they couldn't make it due to marital discord.

I had followed the movie for a few months and more relevantly have been devouring everything Korea for ASL.

I knew from reviews that it wasn't perfect but I hoped I could overlook any negatives for a look at that battle.

I was the only person in the cinema. I lasted about 15 minutes I think.

The first section was the hero journeying back to see his folks in rural (I guess) China. Nothing unusual.

Then we cut straight to the battle of Inchon and a CGI fest. I've no problem with CGI, in fact the first bit of CGI was of an A1, so that was cool. However it degenerated quickly. Lots of inaccuracies in terms of equipment and tactics and deployment.

The scene that caused me to get my coat was of about 500 Corsairs bombing sampans in China.

The scene that caused me to put my coat on and give it toes, was of the bomb blasts.

I could have put up with blatant propaganda, I could have put up with bad acting, I could put up with the Americans being accused of heinous warcrimes and the Chinese being painted golden. But the battle effects were so bad. I could not have spent 3 hours watching the movie.

So I would not recommend. I hope someone else watches it through and discovers that it is just the first 15 minutes that are bad.

I'm not a movie reviewer, I'm sure that's clear. But I am a gamer that is neck deep in Chosin at the moment, and I couldn't bring myself to watch it.

ymmv.

Old Noob

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
One must remember that unless the Party has given it's approval, nothing's gonna happen.
Obviously, the Party gave it's approval.