ASL Bell Tolls

TopT

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
This was posted on ASL FB page. I was waiting for it to pop up here as I never met the man but felt that is should be shared.

Alan Lynott has passed away.

01.12.1971 - 08.09.2021

olli

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llGermany
I had an email from Kate Alan’s wife getting her permission to post this on the gaming forums that Alan used but was posted there before she told me , Alan passed away peacefully in the early hours of Yesterday morning after treatment for his brain cancer failed to work . A sad loss to his wife and children. I have been asked to sort out his gaming collection by Kate as in her words she was overwhelmed by it and the gaming world basically unknown to her. I last talked with Alan a few months back and he was just finished one treatment and felt positive, alas the reprieve was fleeting ……..

Tooz

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I had an email from Kate Alan’s wife getting her permission to post this on the gaming forums that Alan used but was posted there before she told me , Alan passed away peacefully in the early hours of Yesterday morning after treatment for his brain cancer failed to work . A sad loss to his wife and children. I have been asked to sort out his gaming collection by Kate as in her words she was overwhelmed by it and the gaming world basically unknown to her. I last talked with Alan a few months back and he was just finished one treatment and felt positive, alas the reprieve was fleeting ……..
RIP ASL brother!

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
This is really sad. I did not know Alan, but his fate reminds me of Christian Koppmeyer, who has passed away under very similar circumstances. With Alan, another ASLer has left us too early apparently from the midst of life.

My condolences go out to his family and friends.

Ruhe in Frieden.

von Marwitz

Vinnie

See Dummies in the index
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
If you never had the chance to chat withnSlan, you missed a great chap. Younger than most of us, he came into the game via he starter kits and was always up beat and sunny. I used to chat with him when he had taken his kids to the park, they were on the swings, he was on his phone. This one hurts.

Thomas Marshall

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
What a class act of a gentleman! He and I were ASL PBEM opponents for about a year until he announced he was flying to Chicago for business and we arranged to meet for breakfast at his hotel. We also decided that to avoid shipping costs to the UK, he reimbursed me for a copy of Rising Sun that I’d pick up at my local wargame shop and hand it off to him at breakfast. As I happily handed it to him - preferring the ETO myself - I said "A real pain in the ass to have to lug this back on the plane, huh?" He stared at me for a few seconds and broke into a broad grin and said "Are you bloody mad, Yank?!" I'm better for having known Alan; my deepest condolences to all you who were so fortunate to have known him better and longer.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Hi all. Would anyone happen to have a photograph and birth/death date for Paul Weir? I'd like to include him within my in-memoriam section for my upcoming tournament in November.

Please PM if you can assist. I'd be really grateful.

Thanks in advance.
He passed on December 6th, 2020. Found that on Randy's initial post about Paul. Some links there that you might pursue. Still sad about him. What a loss.

Tom Morin

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Guys,

Recently someone brought up Terry Treadaway, publisher of On All Fronts newsletter, wondering what happened to him.

I did some digging, and sadly Terry passed away back in 2010:

Terry's On All Fronts was a groundbreaking newsletter, and his efforts inspired many to follow, like Dispatches and many others.

R.I.P. Terry. At least now your ASL comrades can know of your passing.

Tom

Vic Provost

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Vic
Country
llUnited States
Guys,

Recently someone brought up Terry Treadaway, publisher of On All Fronts newsletter, wondering what happened to him.

I did some digging, and sadly Terry passed away back in 2010:

View attachment 19454

Terry's On All Fronts was a groundbreaking newsletter, and his efforts inspired many to follow, like Dispatches and many others.

R.I.P. Terry. At least now your ASL comrades can know of your passing.

Tom
Agreed Tom, without Terry giving us both his newsletter to hold us over between AH ASL releases and being able to playtest for him and have our initial scenario offerings published, he helped make Dispatches from the Bunker possible as we sprang into action when both the Rout Report and On All Fronts went out of publishing.

RIP to Terry and we do have fond memories of the SL and early ASL days working with him. Your ASL Comrade, Vic.

andrea pagni

Reaction score
Country
llItaly
I'm speechless. I'm really greatly saddened to hear this. He was a friend. I had the privilege to play with him at ASLOK.

Andrea

Delirium

ASL Fanatic
Reaction score
Country
llIreland
Very sad. I met and played John at ASLOK in 2017 - even though I spent just 3 or 4 hours in his company it was clear that he was a great guy - very friendly, total gentleman.