African American divisions in Advanced Squad Leader

Dwindham

Reaction score
First name
Daniel
Country
llUnited States
About a year ago MMP posted on facebook and on their news website looking for ways to add diversity to wargaming in general.
Someone suggested a ASL-HASL that covered African American action during world war two. Right now the only thing I know of that covers African American's in Squad Leader is ASl scenario "Mountain Marines"

I think it's time African Americans get their due when it comes to Squad Leader. I'd like to see an add on for their gallant actions in world war two something similar to the popular ASl Action pack #15 covering the swedes would be appropriate. By not highlighting the actions of segregated units in ASl we are non-consciously excluding diversity and growth amongst our players. We are also avoiding digging into parts of history scenarios provide us. God knows I and others have gone on deep dive information just based on a scenario that looked interesting [I'm still trying to figure out who Joseph 351 was ]. I started this game in my mid-thirties and I'm considered a young player. That is not exactly a great sign of growth in the long-run. The larger our net can be of interested players the better off masters and new players will be.

PS I'm a libertarian and member of the NAACP not some super woke cancel-culture clown.. I'm just simply calling it how I've seen and experienced it.

bendizoid

Official ***** Dickweed
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
About a year ago MMP posted on facebook and on their news website looking for ways to add diversity to wargaming in general.
Someone suggested a ASL-HASL that covered African American action during world war two. Right now the only thing I know of that covers African American's in Squad Leader is ASl scenario "Mountain Marines"

I think it's time African Americans get their due when it comes to Squad Leader. I'd like to see an add on for their gallant actions in world war two something similar to the popular ASl Action pack #15 covering the swedes would be appropriate. By not highlighting the actions of segregated units in ASl we are non-consciously excluding diversity and growth amongst our players. We are also avoiding digging into parts of history scenarios provide us. God knows I and others have gone on deep dive information just based on a scenario that looked interesting [I'm still trying to figure out who Joseph 351 was ]. I started this game in my mid-thirties and I'm considered a young player. That is not exactly a great sign of growth in the long-run. The larger our net can be of interested players the better off masters and new players will be.

PS I'm a libertarian and member of the NAACP not some super woke cancel-culture clown.. I'm just simply calling it how I've seen and experienced it.

Great idea, get started. Report back in one month.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States

Fish was reading a book about the 761st tank battalion ( I think that's it ) called Hit Hard ( again I think ) and one of the black tankers was from Youngstown, where Fish was from. A coworker at the Post Office had the same name and Fish asked him if he was in the 761st. He said yes and he was the G.I. in the book. Pretty cool.

I read the book decades ago but don't remember much. Might be good source material for your scenarios. 😉

Hit Hard by David J. Williams. Not bad recollection after all those years and refreshments. 😋

PTY

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

There are a few scenarios involving African American units. and not just the 92nd division. Though Mountain Marines I believe is the only MMP one. Though I agree a scenario pack might be interesting.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Although I am not sure that having more scenarios with African American units would necessarily attract more African American players. Regardless it's still a good idea.

Dwindham

Reaction score
First name
Daniel
Country
llUnited States
There are a few scenarios involving African American units. and not just the 92nd division. Though Mountain Marines I believe is the only MMP one. Though I agree a scenario pack might be interesting.
Yeah if stuff is coming out it be best put through MMP as it has the highest market demand.

Dwindham

Reaction score
First name
Daniel
Country
llUnited States
Although I am not sure that having more scenarios with African American units would necessarily attract more African American players. Regardless it's still a good idea.
I
Fish was reading a book about the 761st tank battalion ( I think that's it ) called Hit Hard ( again I think ) and one of the black tankers was from Youngstown, where Fish was from. A coworker at the Post Office had the same name and Fish asked him if he was in the 761st. He said yes and he was the G.I. in the book. Pretty cool.

I read the book decades ago but don't remember much. Might be good source material for your scenarios. 😉

Hit Hard by David J. Williams. Not bad recollection after all those years and refreshments. 😋
I think I could make something. If I gave myself a reasonable time line I'd say 5 years given the amount of primary and secondary research id' have to do combined with the fact that I'm still a novice. Making good scenarios seems like a pretty hard thing to do.

Dwindham

Reaction score
First name
Daniel
Country
llUnited States
There is a lot of diversity in ASL, just not with US scenarios.

Chateau de Quesnoy is an early example of such and a favorite of mine.
I agree. Every other nations seems to cover all of it's diverse colonial forces very well. The notable exception are segregated members of the United States Army during World War Two.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
I

I think I could make something. If I gave myself a reasonable time line I'd say 5 years given the amount of primary and secondary research id' have to do combined with the fact that I'm still a novice. Making good scenarios seems like a pretty hard thing to do.
Well you won't know for sure until you try it.
Don't be so detail oriented that you make a scenario thats is not fun to play. It can't be that hard but I was a gamer and not that much into historical accuracy.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
I

Besides even if your scenarios are horrible they will get buried in with the thousands of other scenarios and no one will give a rat's posterior anyway. Do it for yourself and be quick about it. A good scenario now is better than a great scenario later.

I've heard something like that before. 🤔

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

Yes, and there's also a book by Kareem Abdul Jabbar (yup, the one and the same) called "Brothers In Arms" (pub. 2004) that is also about the 761st Black Panthers and a pretty good read at that. There's some applicable stories in there that could easily be made into ASL scenarios.

Dwindham

Reaction score
First name
Daniel
Country
llUnited States
Yes, and there's also a book by Kareem Abdul Jabbar (yup, the one and the same) called "Brothers In Arms" (pub. 2004) that is also about the 761st Black Panthers and a pretty good read at that. There's some applicable stories in there that could easily be made into ASL scenarios.
I'm reading a book on the Korean War at this moment for my next open box review. I'll have to make notes of these books to read when the time comes. I'm also going to work on contacting MMP about the idea.

Michael R

Minor Hero
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
The book was Hit Hard, as you remembered. There is one official scenario that has a few of their tanks operating with infantry, but I cannot remember the name or number. It was the action in which Sgt. Rivers left his tank to remove a roadblock.
I have read this book twice and I will probably read it once more.

Hutch

Curator of the ASL Armory
Reaction score
First name
Hutch
Country
llUnited States
Hit Hard by David J. Williams available in Paperback from 6.50 to 630.00 on AbeBooks.

Scenarios featuring the 761st TB
Acorns in the Fire DftB #25 DB060
First Action Gen 24-3 G4 Describes the actions of Sgt. Rivers.
Rivers End Schwerpunkt #5 SP59

Results courtesy of the ASL Scenario Archive.

Other books:
Patton's Panthers by Charles W. Sasser
The Black Panthers at War by Gina M. DiNicolo

Last edited:

Old Noob

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Have a copy of "Hit Hard" (Bantam paperback) and was able to get a store courtesy copy of Dr. Jabbar's book.
Both make interesting reading.

Hutch

Curator of the ASL Armory
Reaction score
First name
Hutch
Country
llUnited States
Third Army's Gen. George Patton addressed the tankers himself, saying,
"I would never have asked for you if you weren't good. I don't care what color you are so long as you go up there and kill those Kraut sons of bitches. Everyone has their eyes on you and is expecting great things from you. Most of all, your race is looking forward to you. Don't let them down, and, damn you, don't let me down."