VASL Overlays 2.04 doesn't load certain 2.0 overlays

Stewart

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llRussia
....AND there isn't a source for 2.0 that I can find.

I find the 2.04 and the 1.02( I think)

Stewart

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llRussia
Funny as the problem didn't exist before.
I played a scenario with overlays just fine.

Then Spectated others playing the same and no overlays.

Same occurrence with another scenario.

Maybe VASSAL versions vs Ext issues?
Don't know.

DougRim

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Stew

There are no such things as 2.0 overlays.

There is a VASL overlays extension, current version on VASL.info is v2.04. It contains the latest draggable overlays, adding to those in previous versions and maybe changing some from previous versions (bug fixes).

In order for these overlays to show properly for all players in a game, they should all be using the same version of the overlays extension. That is the most likely problem and the first thing to check (hard to do when you are spectating I know).

Also, overlays can come from the overlays extension or from the "traditional" method: the Overlays button on the Boardpicker wizard used when selecting maps, making terrain transforms, etc. If some players are using one method of sourcing overlays while others use the other method, then you will get the issue you witnessed. Some will see the overlays and some won't.

If you can give me scenario details, I will do a more in-depth check, but I suspect one of the above 2 problems is the cause.

Doug

PS. This is why auto-syncing of mapboards is such an awesome addition to VASL - never have to worry about this stuff with boards*.

* Unless of course your board directory is not set properly and then shit happens.

Stewart

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llRussia

There seems to be a 2.0 version.

With the selection of overlays from the Traditional vs Menu options.
Why should that create an issue.

I've changed from the 2.04 and the 1.XX version. No change.

The overlay is the same.
How do you correct it?
Why should this even be an issue. Seems like the 2 options causes issues vs solves issues.
There is no way for a Spectator to correct the problem.

Any consideration of having a Drop down Overlay selection added to the Traditional method? ie. making it the NEW method.
I honestly think that the traditional method is FASTER but 1 min vs 3 min is negligible in the scheme of things

Stewart

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llRussia
Found the overlays that wouldn't load up in the game..
I have them and can place them manually.
Not sure why they don't show up when other game synced to.

I'll check with versions of owners game

DougRim

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
View attachment 19314

There seems to be a 2.0 version.
Yes, there was a v2.0 of the VASLOverlays extension. That is not the same thing as "2.0 overlays". In most cases the overlays within the extension don't change from one version of the extension to the next. That was the point I was trying to make.

With the selection of overlays from the Traditional vs Menu options.
Why should that create an issue.
Fair question. The two methods implement the overlays in very different ways which make them non-interchangeable even though the visual image looks the same. What is going on under the hood is quite different.

I've changed from the 2.04 and the 1.XX version. No change.

The overlay is the same.
How do you correct it?
Sorry, I don't know what you are asking here?

Why should this even be an issue. Seems like the 2 options causes issues vs solves issues.
Both methods have their strengths and weaknesses. For instance, I have recently been able to get some of the "traditional method" desert overlays to work with the los engine. This is much more difficult with the draggable overlays from the extension.

There is no way for a Spectator to correct the problem.
Agreed, not that I know of.

Any consideration of having a Drop down Overlay selection added to the Traditional method? ie. making it the NEW method.
I honestly think that the traditional method is FASTER but 1 min vs 3 min is negligible in the scheme of things
Agree that time is not the issue. Many people prefer to use the draggable overlays as find them easier to position.

Stewart

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llRussia
VASSAL 6.6.2
VASL 3.5.5

WHAT I see....

What the room owner (guy who loaded the map) sees.

Overlay on the left is my manually dropped overlay from the "Overlay" button.
The VVVVVVV area is where, on his screen, The overlay shows.
The right overlay is his manually placed overlay from the "Overlay" button.

Last edited:

DougRim

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
OK. So this looks like the overlay on the left needs to be dragged into it's proper position. Use ALT+left click to select the overlay and then drag it to where it is supposed to be. I would be very surprised if this does not work.

Stewart

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llRussia
OK. So this looks like the overlay on the left needs to be dragged into it's proper position. Use ALT+left click to select the overlay and then drag it to where it is supposed to be. I would be very surprised if this does not work.
That's not the issue.
The issue is this overlay is on the V locations on my opponents map but not mine YET I have the OVERLAY active in my VASL.

i.e. it doens't load in the game...as the PALM trees example shows... I SEE the chopped up Palmtrees....the player loaded the game has a "no hexside jungle" issue.

DougRim

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Sorry Stew I am getting mixed up between your images because of how they show up on my GS thread.

WRT the image above, it does not look to me like it was created using the Draggable Overlays extension (blue circle below). Rather it was created by dragging 7 individual orchard hex draggable overlays from the draggable overlays button (red circle below).

Both of these methods are called "draggable overlays", which is unhelpful I know. But they are different.

The blue circled button is the extension and it adds Overlays as defined in ASL terms, using the same names as in ASL.

The red circled button gives access to a number of images which can be used to modify a map but in most cases have no direct parallel counter or overlay in the cardboard world.

With respect to the image with the 2 hill hex overlays showing, I am not sure what to suggest here. Is this what you see on your screen? Does your opponent see just the properly placed overlays? If so, I would suggest that try and select the extra overlay and delete it. Does that the delete the correct one on your opponent's screen?

Stewart

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llRussia
I don't see any hill overlay when syncing.
And the PALM Trees are the top image instead of the second image (what they should be)

i.e. I don't get the overlays loaded even though we are using the same versions.

DougRim

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I got nothing. I don't know why this is happening.