DASL19 The Mailed Fist (aka A13 and Z12)

BattleSchool

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Looking for an interesting ETO DASL scenario to play face-to-face this autumn, something I haven't played before.

I had a look at the differences between the A13 version published in Annual '95 and DASL19. The A13 version heavily favoured the French (they won about 77% of the time according to ROAR).

A change in the VC makes it a little harder on the Germans though by requiring the Germans to clear all woods and building hexes ADJACENT to the VC-road. Previously, the Germans only needed to clear all woods and building Locations ADJACENT to this road. (This appears to give the Germans nine more Locations to clear than before.)

To help them, the Germans get an extra 4-6-7, LMG, and ATR. The French lose a 4-5-7. That it?

Is the scenario better balanced now? Or have playing styles changed enough since 1995 that the Germans are winning due to better tactics? (As of 15 Oct 2021, ROAR has the Germans ahead 2-1, but these results are hardly conclusive.)

Have you played DASL19? If so, is the updated scenario worth playing? Is it fun?

TIA

BattleSchool

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
...I have no opinion on fun.
While I have you, am I right in concluding that per SSR 1, hex dC5 is a stream-brush hex (B33.), and that dJ0 is (like dD4) a stream-woods hex?

A4.3 states that Bypass of a gully-woods is NA. Am I also right to conclude that Bypass (A4.3) is NA for a stream-woods hex?

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
A4.3 states that Bypass of a gully-woods is NA. Am I also right to conclude that Bypass (A4.3) is NA for a stream-woods hex?
Correct - A4.3 says "Bypass cannot be used to skirt the edges of any other terrain feature..." - I think the "(including gully-woods)" was added in the 2nd Edition since there was a Q&A about it.

Regarding the "hex" -> "Location" change in the VC, I will check my proofing emails/files and see if I find any trace of the change.

BattleSchool

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Submitted Q to MMP.

The VC in the 2019 version of Deluxe A13 The Mailed Fist (originally published in ASL Annual ’95) is conditional upon woods/building hexes ADJACENT to the defined road, while the original VC is conditional upon woods/building Locations. Is the change deliberate? If not, should “hexes” in the DASL19 VC be replaced with “Locations”?

A. It should be "Locations."
Expect errata.

....Perry
MMP
I'll post this later in the Q&A thread. -cd

ScottRomanowski

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
While I have you, am I right in concluding that per SSR 1, hex dC5 is a stream-brush hex (B33.), and that dJ0 is (like dD4) a stream-woods hex?
Yes, I think that is correct, they become stream-brush and -woods hexes, and as Klas wrote, they're not bypassable.

BattleSchool

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Yes, I think that is correct, they become stream-brush and -woods hexes, and as Klas wrote, they're not bypassable.
I came to the same conclusion wrt Bypass.

Although I could find no explicit rule reference, I suspect that the first part of a compound terrain type is the dominant terrain. So while one can Bypass a woods-road hex, one cannot Bypass a stream-woods hex for the same reason that one cannot Bypass a gully-woods hex. Streams and gullies are the dominant terrain types in these forms of combination terrain, not woods.

fenyan

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The game is now 8 turns long instead of 7, which might be the biggest change. I haven't played DASL19 or AD13 so I have no opinion on fun.
I've only played the original, and in my notes we both thought it fun and would play again; however I did note that an extra turn would be recommended for the German side which is what new version has.