ASLOK final AAR

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
SSR 1 of DTF-3 raises an interesting question. It states that Light Jungle, Palm Trees, and Kunai are in effect. No mention of PTO Terrain. A strict reading of Chapter G suggests that for these terrain types to exist, PTO Terrain must be in effect.
Of course, an SSR can always override the rules....the PTO Terrain SSR merely automatically transforms the terrain..

Scenario 246 (THE ARMY AT THE EDGE OF THE WORLD) invokes Palm Trees but not PTO Terrain. So does 252 (ULTIMATE TREACHERY). So it has been done in official scenarios as well....

Last edited:

Jeff Sewall

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
SSR 1 of DTF-3 raises an interesting question. It states that Light Jungle, Palm Trees, and Kunai are in effect. No mention of PTO Terrain. A strict reading of Chapter G suggests that for these terrain types to exist, PTO Terrain must be in effect.
A implies B does not necessarily mean that B implies A.

I'm not familiar with the scenario, but I imagine the designer did not want bamboo and/or huts to be in play.

BattleSchool

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Of course, an SSR can always override the rules....the PTO Terrain SSR merely automatically transforms the terrain..

Scenario 246 (THE ARMY AT THE EDGE OF THE WORLD) invokes Palm Trees but not PTO Terrain. So does 252 (ULTIMATE TREACHERY). So it has been done in official scenarios as well....
Agreed. Neither of these former third-party scenarios presents a problem because they clearly state that x (or x and y) are Palm Trees (including, if I'm not mistaken, in their earlier LFT/Tactiques iterations).

AFAIK, the convention for terrain transformations either consists of one or more terrain types that are said to be something else, or a general transformation invoked via F2, F2A, or G.1, for instance.

The DTF-3 SSR does not state that x are Palm Trees, although the designer obviously intended that orchards be treated as such. But this sort of transformation is only automatic when PTO Terrain is in effect.

And if PTO Terrain is otherwise not in effect, then I think the convention would require that an SSR state that "orchards are Palm Trees (G4.)," as Closier's scenarios above do. Ditto re the other transformations to PTO terrain types in DTF-3.

It's really a minor point, partly done in jest.

Last edited:

bendizoid

Official ***** Dickweed
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hi Bob,

sure, they are HIP until LOS.....which may be only when the side force enters....

Very nice setup, by the way.

I personally really like the Wire in Jungle, where the enemy has to enter and get stuck (hopefully close/next to some serious Dutch firepower) to find out it is there.
Concerning the wire, yes wire in jungle is sneaky mean but in this case I like the combo. Wire by itself is often worthless and ART by itself is very vulnerable but WIRE+ART= NASTY

bendizoid

Official ***** Dickweed
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Where did the IJA T2 reinforcements enter, and what happened to them?

Was comparing your uitstekend defence to Sidhu's here. Both worked, although Ginnard's Japanese came close to succeeding.

Looks like a crazy fun scenario. Congrats on your win!
I don’t like Paul’s wire, and I bet he don’t like ‘em anymore either. Ginnard did exactly the right thing and stormed in there on the Dutch extreme left, completely bypassing all the wire.
I’m thinking he could have put the wire on the *75 ART pieces ? Up there on the middle front hill in the brush with wire. It’s going to take a zillion MPs, even for a banzia to get under those.
Hmmmm. That might be a nice combo.

Of course the Japanese could just put some smoke down and bypass it, keep going.

Last edited:

wesvaughn

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I get to play Chad Cummings for the ASLOK final, surprised to be here and want to improve on my 0-3 record vs Chad.
We sit down to talk about what scenario to play and Chad mentions DTF3 True Grit which happens to be my favorite of the pack. We roll a dice, 1-3 we play True Grit and 4-6 something else. dr=3 so True Grit it is.
True Grit is already a classic scenario in my book and worthy for a ASLOK final. I’ve won as both Japanese and Dutch but kinda like the Dutch because I have a cool defense. Chad has also played it a couple of times so we’re on a fairly equal footing.
The reason True Grit is great is because of the options for both players. The Dutch can up front defence or try to fall back, they can hedgehog in the VC area, they can refuse right or left ( I prefer refuse right), they can counterattack later, many possibilities. The Japanese can attack right or left, broad front, bowl the defenders over or go around them, again many options. The scenario played will be the convergence of two personal styles of play, and ain’t that what ASL it’s all about,
My defense is a ploy for a trap. The defence anchors on the left board edge and extends from there. I want to force or trick the Japanese to attack to their right into the line of barbed wire and/or a 75mm gun massacre while constantly threatening and pecking at them from my main force of HIP MMGs/8-1 and the AA gun on the hill stone building in CC8, they see all and know all over most of the village.
More later
Give us more Bob. Want to see what happened in the Classic ASLOK Final.

wesvaughn

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I don’t like Paul’s wire, and I bet he don’t like ‘em anymore either. Ginnard did exactly the right thing and stormed in there on the Dutch extreme left, completely bypassing all the wire.
I’m thinking he could have put the wire on the *75 ART pieces ? Up there on the middle front hill in the brush with wire. It’s going to take a zillion MPs, even for a banzia to get under those.
Hmmmm. That might be a nice combo.

Of course the Japanese could just put some smoke down and bypass it, keep going.
Did you ever get a end game pic??

bendizoid

Official ***** Dickweed
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Did you ever get a end game pic??
I was talking about Paul’s and Ginnard’s game. My game end pic is this, mentioned in post #7. 19322 This is right after the last Japanese turn. Looks like about 8 Japanese squads left and about 5 Dutch left. That means the Japanese are spread thin to hold 8 buildings from the last player turn Dutch counterattack, which they don’t have to do because the Japanese hold only 7.

Last edited:

bendizoid

Official ***** Dickweed
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Give us more Bob. Want to see what happened in the Classic ASLOK Final.
I make a constriction point with the barbed wire and guns. This picture is after my advance phase turn one. The right flank (except the guy with a LMG on the brush hill X18) runs back. The little hill kinda divides the map in half, going over and through it takes about a turn and the back hexes are open ground to the x2 MMG 8–1 w/ 6fp 20L on the Dutch back left hill stone building CC8. If the Japanese advance right they will be channeled into a four hex kill zone from Y16-BB14with the barbed wire on one side and the little middle hill on the other. One thing about Hex CC8, if you think it might see it, it probably can, all types of sneaky shots. A better way for the Japanese is to split attack right and left flanks, not combined attack in the right/middlish area.19325
I would now say the scenario slightly favors the Dutch, and wouldn’t have a problem giving the Japanese the extra 4-4-8. with this type of defence the way for the Japanese to go in is two flank attacks. The Dutch will worry about a massive banzai on the Dutch right, in the gully area. The Dutch on the left flank guard the hill, they face waves of 3 DC hero’s. Even Americans couldn’t stand up to that kinda power. The Japanese might as well fight them right off the bat, when they have numerical superiority, because they’ll have to fight them eventually. Go right at and over the Dutch, not around them (not the guns and wire, go around those). With a few guys on the third level hill the Japanese can make a shift difficult for the Dutch, all the Dutch guys in the middle must pick a flank to protect and can’t even move if the airplanes are out. The Japanese can bypass all that stuff in the Dutch middle, plus the CC8 kill stack is minimized. If the Dutch miscalculate on one flank or the other it will mean disaster.

Last edited:

bendizoid

Official ***** Dickweed
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
My turn six move was a human chain of hexes to stop the last Japanese move from getting into victory locations. In each of my last three games vs. Cummings, Pleva and Domivich I was defender and used a solid line of bodies on the last turn to stop a move to VC areas. The second to last turn is a set up for the reality breaking last turn. Everybody knows, in ASL reality breaks down on the last turn, it’s endgame and a new paradigm. That’s when you know ASL is more of a game than a simulation.

Old Noob

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Whoa, reality. What a concept. - Robin Williams

wesvaughn

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I was talking about Paul’s and Ginnard’s game. My game end pic is this, mentioned in post #7. View attachment 19322 This is right after the last Japanese turn. Looks like about 7 1/2 Japanese squads left and about 5 Dutch left. That means the Japanese are spread thin to hold 8 buildings from the last player turn Dutch counterattack, which they don’t have to do because the Japanese hold only 7.
Thanks Bob,, Good AAR. Again,, Congrats on another GROFAZ win.

MajorDomo

DM? Chuck H2O in his face
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I was talking about Paul’s and Ginnard’s game. My game end pic is this, mentioned in post #7. View attachment 19322 This is right after the last Japanese turn. Looks like about 8 Japanese squads left and about 5 Dutch left. That means the Japanese are spread thin to hold 8 buildings from the last player turn Dutch counterattack, which they don’t have to do because the Japanese hold only 7.

The ART gun on the hill must be in a hex >= 12, it is not.