Will we ever see an official Battle of Berlin HASL from MMP?

Chas Argent

Play to the end.
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
These things are driven by the passions of the player; if you build it, and develop it, and playtest it, it's far more likely to happen. Nobody at MMP is really in a position to produce stuff like this from scratch.

We didn't publish Budapest because we slaved for years; we published Budapest because Bill Cirillo slaved for years. When you love your topic, it's obvious, and your passion rewards everyone. Or look at Mike Faulkner, taking the Brit airborne ball and running with his revisions of ABTF/PB/PrBr + Ponte Grande. I guarantee if this product sees the light of day, it will be 100% due to his drive and commitment to making it happen.

Alan Hume

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
These things are driven by the passions of the player; if you build it, and develop it, and playtest it, it's far more likely to happen. Nobody at MMP is really in a position to produce stuff like this from scratch.

We didn't publish Budapest because we slaved for years; we published Budapest because Bill Cirillo slaved for years. When you love your topic, it's obvious, and your passion rewards everyone. Or look at Mike Faulkner, taking the Brit airborne ball and running with his revisions of ABTF/PB/PrBr + Ponte Grande. I guarantee if this product sees the light of day, it will be 100% due to his drive and commitment to making it happen.
Thanks for clarifying things Chas, much appreciated. I have to be honest and say that I'm in no position to make this happen, I wouldn't know where to begin with designing a HASL especially one as big as covering the Battle of Berlin. I'd still love to see someone do this someday though

asloser

The Head Tuomo of the Finnish ASL Community
Reaction score
Country
llFinland

But MMP then is great in putting it to an playable ASL product with quality components. You might have the passion but they have the know-how to make it into hardware.

Paul_RS

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
The CH Berlin game is definitely one of the better products they have put out. But as with most of their products you have to make sure you get the right versions, of both maps and scenario packs. There are a few cases of rules 'Opacity' but I've enjoyed the scenarios that I've played from the module. Some of the game specific counters add a nice historical touch to the whole thing. The later Volksturm counters and civilians, for example.

Cheers

Paul

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
Edo and Jon did several versions of improved rules for the CH Berlin CGs. If you use one of their versions you could have a great time playing a huge Berlin CG.

M Faulkner

Disgruntled Democrat
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llUnited States

Oh…It will see the light of the day! 😃

TopT

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thanks for clarifying things Chas, much appreciated. I have to be honest and say that I'm in no position to make this happen, I wouldn't know where to begin with designing a HASL especially one as big as covering the Battle of Berlin. I'd still love to see someone do this someday though
You could check with BFP (Chas) and see if there would be any appetite to reproduce HOB's berlin module. BFP might not have the rights. Starting with that would be much less daunting than starting from scratch. Add a few new scenarios, make the map grungier (Don Petros did this with his VotG map) to reflect a destroyed city.

Witchbottles (on GS)/ Jon Halfin has been working on a new version of CH's Berlin modules and have modified or cleared up some rules. The CH maps do look good and I have played some of the scenarios. They are not crazy unbalanced thrown together scenarios.

dlazov

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
I was helping Edo with the rules rewrite and still have somewhere all our notes and work. There were actually 3-4 of us testing it it but I helped re codified the rules and fixed grammar spelling and layout. We were just getting started on the play test of the CG when Edo died and we all scattered. I am pretty sure I got a boat load of files somewhere.

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
Does anyone actually know how Edo died?

dlazov

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
Without Edo, who is now driving the project? Also it was originally driven for CH to publish it.

footsteps

Just visiting
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Without Edo, who is now driving the project? Also it was originally driven for CH to publish it.
I recall reading somewhere that the group developing it had decided to "go it alone", so to speak, because of flak with Ray (of some undetermined or non-public nature). Something of the nature of proceeding "without CH". Full disclosure: my memory is not altogether clear on the veracity of my recollections.

The Cisco Kid

Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llUnited States
The CH Berlin game is definitely one of the better products they have put out. But as with most of their products you have to make sure you get the right versions, of both maps and scenario packs. There are a few cases of rules 'Opacity' but I've enjoyed the scenarios that I've played from the module. Some of the game specific counters add a nice historical touch to the whole thing. The later Volksturm counters and civilians, for example.

Cheers

Paul
Don't forget the Lerter prisioners and the Red Flag squads, HS and Red Flag Heroes. The Volksturm were in the Original as well along with the Hitlerjugend.

Manilianus

His Royal Fubar
Reaction score
First name
Michał
Country
llPoland
M Faulkner, are there any updates to share? Any presumable dates (i.e. later than 2025, earlier than that) that you have in mind? You have my undivided attention and psychical support!

hongkongwargamer

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I recall reading somewhere that the group developing it had decided to "go it alone", so to speak, because of flak with Ray (of some undetermined or non-public nature). Something of the nature of proceeding "without CH". Full disclosure: my memory is not altogether clear on the veracity of my recollections.
Generally correct

Chas

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
You could check with BFP (Chas) and see if there would be any appetite to reproduce HOB's berlin module. BFP might not have the rights. Starting with that would be much less daunting than starting from scratch. Add a few new scenarios, make the map grungier (Don Petros did this with his VotG map) to reflect a destroyed city.

Witchbottles (on GS)/ Jon Halfin has been working on a new version of CH's Berlin modules and have modified or cleared up some rules. The CH maps do look good and I have played some of the scenarios. They are not crazy unbalanced thrown together scenarios.

We plan to do a Berlin HASL at some point.