ASLOK XXXV (the Redux) - October 3rd thru 10th, 2021

Bret Hildebran

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
We have figured out pricing for the new MMP AP 17 which will debut at ASLOK:
  • $20 special ASLOK price for the first copy for all pre-regs.
  • $25 for additional copies at ASLOK.
  • $25 Discounted price from MMP for first 30 days the AP is available for shipping.
  • $34 Retail from MMP after the 30 days.
Also Bill Cirillo and Mike Faulkner are planning on running some bonus playtest minis this year at ASLOK. All will have plaques like regular minis. Bill's is "Factory & Rails" which will be a new MMP AP: "'Fort-style' boards (and associated overlays) that will be made available for play during ASLOK. The majority of the scenarios are late war, urban, combined arms affairs". Mike's minis are for "A Bridge Too Far" & "Pont Grande Bridge". We may try to run a couple of these on Tuesday to make up for the probable lack of World Cup action this year and the others as bonus minis throughout the week. A bonus mini is one for late-arrivals or early exits on Mini days so they get a 2nd chance to keep doing some mini action. Talk to Bill or Mike or see me to get on the list for any of these minis...

pwashington

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
We have figured out pricing for the new MMP AP 17 which will debut at ASLOK:
  • $20 special ASLOK price for the first copy for all pre-regs.
  • $25 for additional copies at ASLOK.
  • $25 Discounted price from MMP for first 30 days the AP is available for shipping.
  • $34 Retail from MMP after the 30 days.
Also Bill Cirillo and Mike Faulkner are planning on running some bonus playtest minis this year at ASLOK. All will have plaques like regular minis. Bill's is "Factory & Rails" which will be a new MMP AP: "'Fort-style' boards (and associated overlays) that will be made available for play during ASLOK. The majority of the scenarios are late war, urban, combined arms affairs". Mike's minis are for "A Bridge Too Far" & "Pont Grande Bridge". We may try to run a couple of these on Tuesday to make up for the probable lack of World Cup action this year and the others as bonus minis throughout the week. A bonus mini is one for late-arrivals or early exits on Mini days so they get a 2nd chance to keep doing some mini action. Talk to Bill or Mike or see me to get on the list for any of these minis...
Bret,
Sounds good. For the additional minis, do we need to be familiar with/bring any additional rules sets, or is all that provided?

Bret Hildebran

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
For the additional minis, do we need to be familiar with/bring any additional rules sets, or is all that provided?
All maps, and any new rules will be provided by Bill/Mike as needed so they should have anything unpublished you may need to play the scenarios. They're trying to make it easy to get some playtest feedback from you...

M Faulkner

Disgruntled Democrat
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llUnited States
Bret,
Sounds good. For the additional minis, do we need to be familiar with/bring any additional rules sets, or is all that provided?
For the ABTF and Ponte Grande Bridge minis, I will have maps and rules. Sets needed are British, German (regular and SS), and Italian. If you want a set of rules ahead of time, email me.

pwashington

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
For the ABTF and Ponte Grande Bridge minis, I will have maps and rules. Sets needed are British, German (regular and SS), and Italian. If you want a set of rules ahead of time, email me.
Appreciate the info. I'm hoping to hang in the minis I've signed up for, but if I happen to become available earlier than planned I'll definitely look at the add-on minis as an option.

M Faulkner

Disgruntled Democrat
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llUnited States
Appreciate the info. I'm hoping to hang in the minis I've signed up for, but if I happen to become available earlier than planned I'll definitely look at the add-on minis as an option.
When will you be there? Bret said these may run Monday or Tuesday as well.

Ray Woloszyn

"Fire and Movement"
Reaction score
First name
Ray
Country
llUnited States
Years of participation have honed my ability to pack for ASLOK. Here are some of my essentials (Item/Purpose)...

Ear Plugs/Roomates, Indian Weddings, Dance Parties, DASL A “To the Last Man”
Extra Pair of Pants/ (purpose censored)
Rolaids/ Fast Foods
Crucifix/ Protection from Psychic Gatherings
Mozart’s “Requiem”/ sober reminder of those we’ve lost
Schwerpunkt Dice/ to get a rise out of certain opponents
Dollar Bills/ tips for the barkeep
Angels' Baseball Cap/ to watch the playoffs sans Angels (and Indians)
Cleveland Guide Book/ simply to ignore those great sites outside of the hotel
Polish Phrase Book/ to order a meal at Sokolowski’s
Work out clothes/ to bring back home again unused
Umbrella/ in case the last roof repairs have failed
Walking shoes/ stair climb

I am sure I missed some other essentials that veterans usually bring.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Years of participation have honed my ability to pack for ASLOK. Here are some of my essentials (Item/Purpose)...

Rolaids/ Fast Foods

Ray I am sorry to inform you but Sokolowski's is permanently closed. Another Cleveland institution bites the dust.😥

M Faulkner

Disgruntled Democrat
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llUnited States

Rolaids/ Fast Foods

Excellent packing points! I remember the psychic event and the Indian wedding. You forgot extra $ for the art show.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States

Rolaids/ Fast Foods

Ginger snapshot cookies.😋

Bret Hildebran

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Der Braumeister looks to still be open though, but just Wednesday thru Saturday for dinner. Somer's looks like it converted to a Mexican restaurant. Cozumel Mexican Restaurant - good reviews on Google at least...

Sokolowski's website does claim they'll be back when it is safe. Of course that may be easier said than done...

Ray Woloszyn

"Fire and Movement"
Reaction score
First name
Ray
Country
llUnited States
Der Braumeister looks to still be open though, but just Wednesday thru Saturday for dinner. Somer's looks like it converted to a Mexican restaurant. Cozumel Mexican Restaurant - good reviews on Google at least...

Sokolowski's website does claim they'll be back when it is safe. Of course that may be easier said than done...
Hmm, I remember Pleva's comments about "Captain Taco" way back when. He noted that you might as well throw the food in the toilet as it would be there anyway shortly after eating it.

Given Sokolowski's somewhat sketchy neighborhood I am not sure it's really safe there anyway. 100th Bomb Group restaurant is also a casualty of the times. At least the "Christmas Story" house is around and our hotel. Good ol' Cleveland.

Last edited:

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Hmm, I remember Pleva's comments about "Captain Taco" way back when. He noted that you might as well throw the food in the toilet as it would be there anyway shortly after eating it.

Given Sokolowski's somewhat sketchy neighborhood I am not sure it's really safe there anyway. 100th Bomb Group restaurant is also a casualty of the times. At least the "Christmas Story" house is around and our hotel. Good ol' Cleveland.
Ah yes, the Brookpark years. Probably the worst venue ever for Oktoberfest. Oh well, also some of the most memorable Oktoberfests.

cvetzor

Reaction score
First name
Thomas
Country
llUnited States
Ah yes, the Brookpark years. Probably the worst venue ever for Oktoberfest. Oh well, also some of the most memorable Oktoberfests.
I concur I recall heading to the room on arrival and down the hall seeing 5 blue windbreaker clad persons with yellow capital letters FBI knocking down a room door down the hall. I thought this will be fun. The story I heard from Mr Ginnard was that Fish gave Dave a certain budget for the venue and Brook park fit the criteria.