Hideable control and perimeter markers

jyoung

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Lately I've been playing mostly campaign games, and particularly in RB/RO you need to track which hexes you've taken control of, and where the perimeter was at the start. If you do it thoroughly the board can get very cluttered, but it's still important to keep the control markers in place. There are existing tools for this, including draggable overlays, but I've never been completely satisfied with their utility.

As my first foray into VASL/VASSAL modification, I've created an extension (hideable-control-markers-1.4.zip attached, unzip to obtain hideable-control-markers-1.4.vmdx) which adds control markers that can be turned on and off at will, by either player without disturbing the view of the other, using the layer functionality built into VASSAL. When they're off, they are completely invisible and non-interacting, and you just play as if they're not there, only turning them on as needed to see where they are and perhaps add a new one.

The extension adds a new suite of counters under Other\Map\Hideable Control, including various control markers as well as perimeter line markers which can have 1-6 hexsides marked (right click, Incr and Decr, or CTRL= and CTRL-) and be selected, cloned, rotated and deleted at will just like normal counters, to make the job of drawing a perimeter line a bit easier than with the draggable overlays. There are two new buttons on the map window, one to turn the control and perimeter markers on/off 19022, and another to rotate the various layers around 19023 (which sometimes becomes necessary to select a counter on the bottom, as they are non-stacking and can completely obscure each other due to the way the layers work).

The extension was created with VASSAL 3.5.7 / VASL 6.6.2, but should work with other versions. Also if you open up a .vsav file with the new counters on the map but without the extension loaded, they will just behave like regular counters so shouldn't break anything. I would appreciate any thoughts on whether this is useful (and thanks already to @DougRim for his advice), and if so any improvements I could make (within my small but hopefully growing knowledge of module/extension development).

Attachments

Last edited:

JimWhite

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
As someone who plays practically CGs exclusively...this seems like it will be quite a nice addition to mapboard management.

Looking forward to checking it out.

hongkongwargamer

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Lately I've been playing mostly campaign games, and particularly in RB/RO you need to track which hexes you've taken control of, and where the perimeter was at the start. If you do it thoroughly the board can get very cluttered, but it's still important to keep the control markers in place. There are existing tools for this, including draggable overlays, but I've never been completely satisfied with their utility.

As my first foray into VASL/VASSAL modification, I've created an extension (hideable-control-markers-1.4.zip attached, unzip to obtain hideable-control-markers-1.4.vmdx) which adds control markers that can be turned on and off at will, by either player without disturbing the view of the other, using the layer functionality built into VASSAL. When they're off, they are completely invisible and non-interacting, and you just play as if they're not there, only turning them on as needed to see where they are and perhaps add a new one.

The extension adds a new suite of counters under Other\Map\Hideable Control, including various control markers as well as perimeter line markers which can have 1-6 hexsides marked (right click, Incr and Decr, or CTRL= and CTRL-) and be selected, cloned, rotated and deleted at will just like normal counters, to make the job of drawing a perimeter line a bit easier than with the draggable overlays. There are two new buttons on the map window, one to turn the control and perimeter markers on/off View attachment 19022, and another to rotate the various layers around View attachment 19023 (which sometimes becomes necessary to select a counter on the bottom, as they are non-stacking and can completely obscure each other due to the way the layers work).

The extension was created with VASSAL 3.5.7 / VASL 6.6.2, but should work with other versions. Also if you open up a .vsav file with the new counters on the map but without the extension loaded, they will just behave like regular counters so shouldn't break anything. I would appreciate any thoughts on whether this is useful (and thanks already to @DougRim for his advice), and if so any improvements I could make (within my small but hopefully growing knowledge of module/extension development).
Heya, I just played with it a little. I quite like it. I think outside of CGs, this can be used to mark setup/ exit/ VC areas and controlled objectives as well.

This is useful. Thanks much!

PS : Question - if I have the extension and my opponent doesn't, will he see these control markers and perimeter lines as well?

jyoung

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Heya, I just played with it a little. I quite like it. I think outside of CGs, this can be used to mark setup/ exit/ VC areas and controlled objectives as well.

This is useful. Thanks much!

PS : Question - if I have the extension and my opponent doesn't, will he see these control markers and perimeter lines as well?
I just tried it, and the control markers were visible, but the perimeter lines were not. I think this is because the control markers were based on existing counters, whereas the perimeter markers were completely new custom counters.

apbills

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I will need to upgrade as it does not work going back to VASSAL 3.4.12/VASL 6.6.1.

apbills

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I upgraded to VASSAL 3.5.8/VASL 6.6.2. This is a sweet extension, especially for the HASL CGs. Thank you!

JimWhite

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I love the control markers!

However, concerning the perimeter markers...is there anyway you could create a button to REMOVE ALL so at the end of the CG Scenario they wouldn't have to be removed manually?

If not...absolutely no big deal...the control markers are worth the price of admission all by themselves... :)

jyoung

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
I love the control markers!
However, concerning the perimeter markers...is there anyway you could create a button to REMOVE ALL so at the end of the CG Scenario they wouldn't have to be removed manually?
If not...absolutely no big deal...the control markers are worth the price of admission all by themselves... :)
Done. I put in separate delete buttons for control and perimeter, and altered the icons for the other ones to make room (not quite so obvious from looking at them what they do now, I need to figure out how to make them toggle between two different icons when on/off).

Attachments

brunger

Reaction score
Country
ll
I’ve loaded this it appears great.
One question it moves my tray slightly off my screen. Is there a way of adjusting the tray to two rows? This is not a big issue. More to do with my lack of computer computer skills 😬😅
Thanks for the great work.

jyoung

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
I’ve loaded this it appears great.
One question it moves my tray slightly off my screen. Is there a way of adjusting the tray to two rows? This is not a big issue. More to do with my lack of computer computer skills 😬😅
Thanks for the great work.
No problem, easily done.
EDIT: did you mean two rows, or two columns? I did the latter...

Attachments

apbills

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
After playing with this more, I have an idea. When playing the CGs, like RB and VOTG, victory is based on control of Locations, not hexes. It would be nice to have the control markers cycle through level labels, Cellar (C), ground-level (0), 1st-level (1), second-level (2) and third-level (3) using a CTRL key. This single character could be put in the lower left of the counter so that when expanding a stack it was visible. Even fancier would be a box in that corner containing that character along with a color-coded background in that box corresponding to the same color as the level counter. I have no idea what this would take.

jyoung

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
After playing with this more, I have an idea. When playing the CGs, like RB and VOTG, victory is based on control of Locations, not hexes. It would be nice to have the control markers cycle through level labels, Cellar (C), ground-level (0), 1st-level (1), second-level (2) and third-level (3) using a CTRL key. This single character could be put in the lower left of the counter so that when expanding a stack it was visible. Even fancier would be a box in that corner containing that character along with a color-coded background in that box corresponding to the same color as the level counter. I have no idea what this would take.
Nice idea, thanks @apbills. I've implemented the change for the white control counters - CTRL-L changes the level of the counter. It won't work for any existing counters you've placed on the map, you'll need to replace them to see this change. I can do the coloured counters too if desired, although I don't think the level indicators will show up as well.

Attachments

Last edited:

apbills

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Very NICE! Thank you sir! Exactly the type of counter behavior I was thinking about.

Stewart

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llRussia
Solution.
Save the Map with ONLY perimeter control markers on it...You can have 2 different VASL maps up and going at the same time.
ONE you play on the other you modify locations of Control or perimeter...(which I think you dont do until end of day)
HAVE 2 files...One PERIMETER...the other Units...

If you don't use 2 monitors ...buy an extra one...its worth it. and they are cheap.

jyoung

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Solution.
Save the Map with ONLY perimeter control markers on it...You can have 2 different VASL maps up and going at the same time.
ONE you play on the other you modify locations of Control or perimeter...(which I think you dont do until end of day)
HAVE 2 files...One PERIMETER...the other Units...

If you don't use 2 monitors ...buy an extra one...its worth it. and they are cheap.
Yep, your way works well too, and I agree re having two monitors, it's very useful.
That's what I like about extensions, you can use them or ignore them as you see fit.

jyoung

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
This extension is freakin' genius. Thank you.
Thankyou! I'm slowly picking up a little bit more in the way of java programming, as there are are few things that the perfectionist in me would like to clean up when I have some more time, like getting the buttons to show different images when they toggle on/off. Let me know if there is some functionality that you would particularly like and I'll have a go.