Greatest War Movie Actor?

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
How about James Whitmore? Severed as a Marine during WW-II and his portrayal of the hard bitten platoon sergeant in "Battleground" was second to none in my estimation. He also had the unenviable role of Adm. Kimmel in "Tora, Tora, Tora" which I thought was outstanding.

Steve H

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
How about James Whitmore? Severed as a Marine during WW-II and his portrayal of the hard bitten platoon sergeant in "Battleground" was second to none in my estimation. He also had the unenviable role of Adm. Kimmel in "Tora, Tora, Tora" which I thought was outstanding.
Hmmm...are you sure about that? I think James Whitmore played Adm Halsey and Martin Balsam played Adm Kimmel

Yuri0352

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
John Wayne. AVG pilot, Marine gunnery sergeant, 82nd Airborne battalion commander, Seabee commander and other roles.
Don't forget to include pot-bellied Vietnam era Special Forces officer.
And of course, the duke's master class in acting as Ghengis Khan.

Last edited:

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
I agree with you there. Fiction and reality are combined here in one person.(one of the most decorated American soldiers of WW2 and a very good actor )
Actiondebbie and I couldn't agree with you more. She adores his Western movies. 🤗

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
I have honestly no interest in actors, but I have heard the names of Connery and Bogart. Really dunno about charisma of Pitt. But to have the supporting act in, of all things, 'Fury' recommend him among the great ones?

There is doubt upon my troubled brow...

von Marwitz
How about John Wayne as the Captain of a German freighter in The Sea Chase? A rather out of character role for him. 🤗

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
I vote for Shia LaBeouf. He has the grit of Bogart, the range of Hopkins, the charisma of Pitt, and the balls of Connery. His performance in Fury merited a best supporting actor. He has no equal.
Some big shoes to fill there!

Your question could also be twisted, by a twisted jick naturally, to ask about an actor in the greatest war movie. Undoubtedly the greatest war movie question has been debated on this forum before so no need to pursue that now.

A more relevant question would be does the actor have had to appear in multiple war movies?🤔

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
I became aware of him many years ago through the Western films. Brilliant !
Tragic life story. Suffered from PTSD. Went bankrupt in 1968. Died in a plane crash.
When he was having financial problems he apparently was offered the chance to do cigarette and alcohol commercials but declined the offers.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Tragic life story. Suffered from PTSD. Went bankrupt in 1968. Died in a plane crash.
When he was having financial problems he apparently was offered the chance to do cigarette and alcohol commercials but declined the offers.
Very sad when you dig deeper into it.☹