The 88L in Swan Song.

TimNiesen

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
There is a plus two DRM effect upon the crew of the emplaced gun if the IFT result is greater than a KIA or K result. Took a break to wheel barrel sand and top soil from the driveway to a raised garden bed, where I will plant (or will pay someone with a green thumb) my tomato plants which we have raised from seeds. Taking the baby tomatoes into and out of the sunlight has been my paternal burden for the last month. Tim

TimNiesen

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
For clarification. Don, the medical doctor, stated that he and his brother used to go to Aberdeen Proving Grounds, and they once had a functioning 88L. He stated that with the Gun Shield it was about 9 feet tall. He stated that the gun could be emplaced, but it likely would require a bulldozer to place it there. Then I call called the other Don, who was surprised that an 88L could be hidden in open ground. Don 2 pointed that that he had been at an Army proving grounds in Wyoming where that there was an emplaced 155mm howitzer. Larger than an 88L. And from a distance it was very very difficult to detect its exact position despite being in open ground. Tim

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The other major advantage is coming back to me...there is significant morale check advantage for a crew with an emplaced gun. Not applicable for a regular infantry manning ordnance. Tim
Tim, completely incorrect on the morale issue. There is no difference what-so-ever.

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
So Robin even without my rulebook and my increasing age, my memory is still better than most. Tim
Tim, since you apparently have access to a PC, unless you are on your smartphone, tablet, what have you, I would pick up MMP's Electronic Rulebook. Cheap and quite good.

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
For clarification. Don, the medical doctor, stated that he and his brother used to go to Aberdeen Proving Grounds, and they once had a functioning 88L. He stated that with the Gun Shield it was about 9 feet tall. He stated that the gun could be emplaced, but it likely would require a bulldozer to place it there. Then I call called the other Don, who was surprised that an 88L could be hidden in open ground. Don 2 pointed that that he had been at an Army proving grounds in Wyoming where that there was an emplaced 155mm howitzer. Larger than an 88L. And from a distance it was very very difficult to detect its exact position despite being in open ground. Tim
I was fortunate enough to go to the Aberdeen Proving Grounds at the time of a WO convention. An expedition set up by Jack Daniels here on the forum. The officer in the procurements office, not the alcoholic beverage, although it was cold enough that day that the latter would have done some good. I was privileged to watch them power washing an 88 prior to getting it ready to go out on the field. Big honking Guns, but then, that is what the Red Manhandling # is there for.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
I was fortunate enough to go to the Aberdeen Proving Grounds at the time of a WO convention. An expedition set up by Jack Daniels here on the forum. The officer in the procurements office, not the alcoholic beverage, although it was cold enough that day that the latter would have done some good. I was privileged to watch them power washing an 88 prior to getting it ready to go out on the field. Big honking Guns, but then, that is what the Red Manhandling # is there for.
Wasn't there a post some time ago about a guy who had an 88 and a tank in his basement? Panther?🤔

Oktoberfest 88 shirt was one of my favorites. Just an 88. Unfortunately due to the bourrelet I now have it's rather tight.☹🤣

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
German or Dutch, I forget which, with a Panther in his basement. I don't recall an 88 though.
Germany I think.

Not sure about the 88. Captain Bacchus invited his cousin, Corporal Cabernet, over tonight so we'll see if we can find the post.🤔

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Germany I think.

Not sure about the 88. Captain Bacchus invited his cousin, Corporal Cabernet, over tonight so we'll see if we can find the post.🤔
Post #14 in the Have You Ever..... thread. Can't link it. OMOOT. ☹

In post #20, same thread, von Marwitz mentions besides the tank and torpedo in his basement the gentleman also had an 88 stashed in there.

IIRC the Panther was driveable.

TimNiesen

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I was under the impression that a non crew (regular infantry) did not receive the protection of the gun shield. That is what I was referring to in regard to morale. I should have stated protection by the gun shield. I assume that the protection of the emplacement also lacks its protective effects, and this does not extend to non crews. Tim

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I was under the impression that a non crew (regular infantry) did not receive the protection of the gun shield. That is what I was referring to in regard to morale. I should have stated protection by the gun shield. I assume that the protection of the emplacement also lacks its protective effects, and this does not extend to non crews. Tim
Well, not entirely true on the protection. If you have a HS manning the Gun, they get the protection of the emplacement. A Squad or HS or any other ad hoc crew, say a Hero, does not get the cover of a Gunshield though. While the Gunshield does give an extra layer of protection, the emplacement DRM is still a help.

A Gun can never be Emplaced
on a paved road, bridge, runway, Rooftop, or in Bamboo and does not receive
the +2 TEM while manned by a squad.

Thar ya have it.

aloha_brian

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The 88L gun in Swan Song is a Flak 18 Anti-Aircraft gun, not an AT gun. It has no gunshield. It is normal size, not red on the M# so if it were an AT gun it could set up in a building.

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
So Robin even without my rulebook and my increasing age, my memory is still better than most. Tim
Your memory is average: you get things right and others wrong.
I am not better than you under that aspect - and many others, I presume.
Where I may be better than you, is that I can reach my rulebook much more quickly than you : it has been months since you started going upstairs into your attic to retrieve yours 😏 (and you know that your non informed questions make people work for you quite more than if you were referring precisely to the rulebook).

Last edited:

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
The 88L gun in Swan Song is a Flak 18 Anti-Aircraft gun, not an AT gun. It has no gunshield. It is normal size, not red on the M# so if it were an AT gun it could set up in a building.
That Flak 18 is a Large Size Gun - not normal.

Old Noob

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I don't care if it is an 88mm anti-aircraft gun or an 88mm anti-tank gun, the operative word is "88mm".
Either one can hurt you if properly applied.

TimNiesen

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thanks, I learned a lot from your various retorts to my erroneous impression about the 88L in open ground. I do have to clear the path to the locked attic. I not only have to find the rules, but also the three boards needed for Swan Song. I am enjoying the French module and its notes. Tim