ASL Bell Tolls

dlazov

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
From that memorial list 21 are gone, I suspect there are more unheard of masses that have passed through to the other side.

While he was not an ASL player Steve Graham-Merritt and I played many many games of War in Europe, he was a stubborn old English gentleman and a very good friend he passed in 2017. RIP Steve, miss ya.

Another good friend that passed was John Fernandes, he started or co-started GHQ. I met him back in Washington when I was out of the Army and played miniatures with him and Charles Sharp (Europa series researcher). John, took me in and taught me GHQ games and was a really great guy, a Vietnam vet and also a Beirut bombing survivor. One tough old Marine.

RIP John

Old Noob

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
dlazov: I believe I met John Fernandes, when he lived in Eugene, Oregon (alas that also where he passed).
He was willing to talk games and history with me on any subject, a good man and sadly missed.

Thunderchief

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Sam was a great guy and one of the friendliest gamers I've met in all my travels. He'll be missed.
At ASLOK 2010 he gave out pins for his father's artillery unit from the Second World War to those he played against . I put mine on my nametag and it's still there today. The motto is Whenever, Wherever.

Vinnie

See Dummies in the index
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I used to poke fun at him all the time. Despite never having met him, I knew he woukd take it in good part, the way it was intended
I was lucky enough to meet him at ASLOK one year. He was every bit as gracious, funny and welcoming as I thought he would be. I am proud to be able to call him a friend.

Tooz

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I had the pleasure of playing Sam many times spanning a few decades. When I walked into a room full of ASL candidate opponents, Sam was always one that I would arrange a playing One of my all time favorite ASL buddies. RIP my friend.

seblick

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
When I mentioned online that I was returning to ASL, Sam contacted me and sent me a Rulebook and a few other items to encourage me,accompanied by a warm personal note.
I regret never having the chance to thank him in person.
Very sad.

MrHonus

Honus
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The first time I met Sam was at a West Coast Melee, probably 15 years or so ago. I remember he saw a guy looking in the door of the game room and shanghai'd the poor dude. I think Sam had him almost ready to throw some dice when the guy's wife came and dragged him out. We also played at a couple of ASLOKs. RIP.