Quick straw poll on a Bounding Fire rule...

Martin Mayers

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gulagwanker
Country
llUkraine
How many people are aware that if, during the movement phase, you Bounding First Fire any vehicular weapon, that you must fire EVERY weapon on board from that same hex or, barring ROF, forfeit it's usage.

So...for example...A Churchill Crocodile cannot fire his MG in A1...move to A2 and then fire it's Flamethrower. Then move to A3 and fire it's MA. It had to fire ALL it's munitions with it's MG in A1

Sparafucil3

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
How many people are aware that if, during the movement phase, you Bounding First Fire any vehicular weapon, that you must fire EVERY weapon on board from that same hex or, barring ROF, forfeit it's usage.

So...for example...A Churchill Crocodile cannot fire his MG in A1...move to A2 and then fire it's Flamethrower. Then move to A3 and fire it's MA. It had to fire ALL it's munitions with it's MG in A1
Well aware of this. If it's the MA, even if it gets ROF, if you want to fire the other weapons, you must fire them in the original hex (D3.51). If the MA maintains ROF, it may fire from a separate hex but would be marked with B1F at the end of its MPh and forfeit ROF in the AFPh (D3.32) assuming it didn't get ROF again. Of course, if you got ROF and opted not to shoot the MG's, you could shoot the ROF in AFPh but then you would forfeit the MG's (D3.32). -- jim

Last edited:

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States

Nice.🤗

EagleIV

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I am aware of it, but you forgot another exception that is in a different rules section. You can also overrun (a form of BFF) multiple hexes, 4 in theory, but I've never seen more than 2. If the AFV has 16MP and starts in motion, it can enter the first hex and conduct an OVR at a cost of 5MP (1 OG + 4 OVR), enter a second hex at a cost of 5MP, enter a third hex at a cost of 5MP, declare ESB for 4MP and enter a fourth hex at a cost of 5MP (total 20MP). Other ways of doing the same are also possible.

bendizoid

Official ***** Dickweed
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I am aware of it, but you forgot another exception that is in a different rules section. You can also overrun (a form of BFF) multiple hexes, 4 in theory, but I've never seen more than 2. If the AFV has 16MP and starts in motion, it can enter the first hex and conduct an OVR at a cost of 5MP (1 OG + 4 OVR), enter a second hex at a cost of 5MP, enter a third hex at a cost of 5MP, declare ESB for 4MP and enter a fourth hex at a cost of 5MP (total 20MP). Other ways of doing the same are also possible.
Im a big fan of triple overruns, it’s a thing with me, look out ! Fair warning has been given.

Philippe D.

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
You become aware when you try to violate the rule and your opponent corrects you.
Your opponent may not be aware himself.

I somehow knew of this restriction, but I'd probably forget about it. In a game, I might say "I think you can't do that, but let me check". BFF is not something I see used very often (I do use it occasionally, but my default behavior is to wait until AFPh so I can get some form of Acquisition; and most of my opponents seem to be doing the same).

Martin Mayers

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gulagwanker
Country
llUkraine

I somehow knew of this restriction, but I'd probably forget about it. In a game, I might say "I think you can't do that, but let me check". BFF is not something I see used very often (I do use it occasionally, but my default behavior is to wait until AFPh so I can get some form of Acquisition; and most of my opponents seem to be doing the same).
And here's my issue.

You would indeed check. And you'd likely not find the rule. Because it's squirreled away under a Covered Arc rule, as opposed to under 'Bounding First Fire' where it possibly belongs if you were an argumentative old fart like myself.

Said argumentative old fart might even try to argue (I didn't...I've 25 years experience of being left aghast at some of the curiosities of ASL) that the rule doesn't in fact apply to a tank using Bounding First Fire and/or no involved in any sort of Covered Arc frivolity...as if the rule did apply, then it should be in the appropriate section. Bit like running to the Family Law book to find a Law dealing with a Commercial sale...

Thanks for responding everyone.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States

IIRC in the How to Become Better At Using AFVs thread BFF was brought up and it's practitioners were extolling it's advantages. You might give it a shot, so to speak. 😉

Sparafucil3

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
IIRC in the How to Become Better At Using AFVs thread BFF was brought up and it's practitioners were extolling it's advantages. You might give it a shot, so to speak. 😉
Like all things in ASL, it depends. I believe the hit chances are greater than most people believe. At a range of 2, a CE tank taking a B1F shot hits on a 7 (+2 B, +2C, -1 L, Base TH is 10). If you're sitting in your APCR 6 tank, two shots at a 6 TH will give you a hit ~%65 of the time. Unless you're tank is invulnerable, it may not be around to take a shot in AFPh. I will B1F here. I will B1F there, I will B1F anywhere. I do, I do, I do like B1F. I like B1F, Jick I am. ;) -- jim

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Like all things in ASL, it depends. I believe the hit chances are greater than most people believe. At a range of 2, a CE tank taking a B1F shot hits on a 7 (+2 B, +2C, -1 L, Base TH is 10). If you're sitting in your APCR 6 tank, two shots at a 6 TH will give you a hit ~%65 of the time. Unless you're tank is invulnerable, it may not be around to take a shot in AFPh. I will B1F here. I will B1F there, I will B1F anywhere. I do, I do, I do like B1F. I like B1F, Jick I am. ;) -- jim
Jim we used BFF but I am positive not anywhere near as often as we should have considering it's advantages. I was Lax on calculating percentages and I don't recall seeing Fish doing much cipherin' either. I would have readily traded Acquisition in the AFPh for a kill during Movement. The positives of BFF considerably outweigh the negatives

Lol, had we used it more frequently Fish would probably have given up on AFVs sooner than he did!😉😉🤣🤣