Operation Turnscrew (Dennis Brothers)

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Basically any hex they can see (with restrictions) inside 8 range they can make a sniper roll with the usual outcomes, 1 or 2 has an effect. They are hard to shoot at (always concealed) and always start HIP.
Thanks for the info!

sdennis

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
OK we got quite a few turns in and I failed to roll 1-3 on Turn 6 end so we are sitting at T7 right now. Rallies are done but Prep is unstarted for the British.

Starting in the North, with a lot of smoke we were able to clear some minefield paths but I still lost a bunch of guys to these mines. And probably 2 squads total to 12s rally or booby traps...
So we are across from the victory hexes now but because the smoke just went away, he's concealed and I'm not fully. The bottom 237 is in a minefield and needs to get out to avoid the Refit phase mine checks... he's already died and ELRed once down here. He doesn't need any defenders because I can't get through the mines and don't want to END in the mines. The factory is mined but I have a TB through both hexes now. The 457 in K9 killed a 238 that stuck around too long in CC and I'm using his breaches to move along the rowhouses. It quickly becomes untenable with the guys across the street. He had the first surprise shot through the first one while I was just in I10 but he wiffed and now he's on the run. I moved the observer up (to H9) and he can't get contact back!!
Oh I rolled up a mild breeze to the SE that helped :)

Moving South, with the use of another OBA Smoke Mission we got a platoon+ across the street and into the next block. The 10-2 and the hero are staying close together to make building TEM disappear. He popped up another 188 but all he's gotten with them is 2 or 3 pins. The 8-0 in C13 has been just missed by his "regular" sniper twice! his sniper has gone off 3 times I think and mine has not gone off at all! We are going slow down here with minimal investment.

I need tanks!! :)

Den589

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Casualties so far amount to 5.5 squads down for the British and only a half squad of casualties for the German. I've avoided the 10-2 like the plague and let the mines do the work. Steve is correct, this has been the best minefield effects either of us ever seen. He's lost a squad to booby traps and 4.5 squads to the mines. He's been jumping into a lot of minefields so yes there has been a lot of rolls, but for the first couple of turns my mine rolls were averaging around a 4 or 5. Turn 5 and 6 however the rolls moved up into the 9-10 range and hence he's gotten out of a lot of the mine hexes in the area around L6-L7-K8.

The snipers have been completely useless so far, with I think three pins of squads to show for them. I've had two attacks on leader hexes, but one no effect and one missed the leader with a pin result to an accompanying squad. I have positioned one in L13 to try to scare the 10-2/hero stack from coming into the front line. Steve's choice if he wants to risk Colonel Whitaker. I need the day to end, but Steve rolled a 5 so we move into turn #7. If it ends this turn (5/6th chance), I should get the full 10 LVP for the first scenario, a huge win for the Germans I think. And I've already hit him with 11 CVP, so I'm well on my way to getting a point for casualties as well.

Den589

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
We finished the first date Sunday. The Germans get all of the available points and sit at 10 LVP. The mines and the wire ringing the post office was pretty effective in holding him off from getting across the P4-O8 road. Casualties sit at 11 CVP for the British and 1 CVP for the German. The first scenario did go to a turn 7, which hurt me as the last turn he was just gobbling up territory. I am going to end up with a pocket in essentially the L12-L13 building that contains a single half squad. He will vacate as soon as possible to the other side of the street.

Purchases have been made and I'm setting up for the PM scenario. Really struggled with the decision to attempt to get vehicles or not. 9 CPP for a possibility of a single halftrack or the dumb moving van AA thingy is not something I relish. But I really don't want him to have unopposed armor either. We kind of discussed all the options and we both agreed that the British should be buying maximum Shermans every day until they can't purchase anymore of them. The Smoke/WP capability is invaluable to the British. The depletion rules are killing me with multiple things depleting both scenarios. Steve also complained that he had some depletions as well.

Since I've seen other threads concerning the "overpowered" snipers, we haven't seen that; mine did not cause a single break, wound or KIA. That being said, he did keep his leaders back and I kind of equate the sniper rules in this akin to having an SR bouncing around, the threat is almost more powerful than the usage. The only effect of the Combat Exhaustion was on the last turn when I rolled to CX my guys.

Probably be two weeks before we get back at this, trying to finish part of my basement as the new ASL room. It does go quick though and its been entertaining so far.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
We finished the first date Sunday. The Germans get all of the available points and sit at 10 LVP. The mines and the wire ringing the post office was pretty effective in holding him off from getting across the P4-O8 road. Casualties sit at 11 CVP for the British and 1 CVP for the German. The first scenario did go to a turn 7, which hurt me as the last turn he was just gobbling up territory. I am going to end up with a pocket in essentially the L12-L13 building that contains a single half squad. He will vacate as soon as possible to the other side of the street.

Purchases have been made and I'm setting up for the PM scenario. Really struggled with the decision to attempt to get vehicles or not. 9 CPP for a possibility of a single halftrack or the dumb moving van AA thingy is not something I relish. But I really don't want him to have unopposed armor either. We kind of discussed all the options and we both agreed that the British should be buying maximum Shermans every day until they can't purchase anymore of them. The Smoke/WP capability is invaluable to the British. The depletion rules are killing me with multiple things depleting both scenarios. Steve also complained that he had some depletions as well.

Since I've seen other threads concerning the "overpowered" snipers, we haven't seen that; mine did not cause a single break, wound or KIA. That being said, he did keep his leaders back and I kind of equate the sniper rules in this akin to having an SR bouncing around, the threat is almost more powerful than the usage. The only effect of the Combat Exhaustion was on the last turn when I rolled to CX my guys.

Probably be two weeks before we get back at this, trying to finish part of my basement as the new ASL room. It does go quick though and its been entertaining so far.
Very nice. Looking forward to the rest.

sdennis

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Here's the board after counter removal.
In the South I didn't push the river at all but was finally able to get across K12/G10 road and take that entire block. Because my front line strategic locations overlap his the street behind his HS is no-mans trapping him there. Not a big deal really. You can see I have a TB through 3 of the minefields and you can see where he tried to use breaches to surprise me but in the end he used them to move away from me.

In the north I have a few more TBs to get through the factory minefield. A brave HS finally survived the board edge minefield and grabbed N1 and O1.

sdennis

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
We did not mark every hex but you can assume that between two British markers is British controlled where it makes sense from the map.

Den589

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
We got in 2.5 turns of the second scenario. A lot more action today.

Steve entered two platoons of Shermans, and what I'm guessing is a HQ platoon and an Inf Company. He also bought some OBA (don't know the caliber yet, since its only used Smoke so far) and raised his sniper to 4. That amounts to about what he should have had in CPP.

Steve has seen that I bought, at least one FPP, a company of Para Infantry, a self propelled gun, 80mm OBA and something else he has yet to see. My OBA true to form for me drew two reds on the first two draws. I have the worst luck on OBA every CG we play. I almost just never want to buy it just so I don't have to deal with it at this point. The vehicle that I received was a great roll yielding a JgPz IV, the best tank killer in the game for the German, although a HE7 limits it against the infantry. This great roll was tempered by it being depleted so I only get one of them. Depletion continues to be a problem.

Steve continues to try to get into the Post Office and despite multiple attempts with DC/Bangalores was unable to clear the wire. He then resorted to sending a Sherman and on the first bog roll, cleared the wire in O5. I was however able to advance a squad from the Fanatic Strongpoint (no PAATC) on to this vehicle and killed it in CC. The squad that killed the tank ended up adjacent to a ton of British but somehow managed to survive albeit broken and routed to R6.

He is creeping along the northern border into the trees but I have two light mortars that are pecking away at his squad in Q1. A natural 2 sniper resulted in wounding the 10-2 which is the best result of the day for me. He paid me back by wounding my best leader (a 9-1 however.)

His best progress has been in the south where I am in danger of losing the point for having a strategic location on the western portion of the map. My reinforcements are running to the front but are back in T16 a the moment.

The special snipers finally got their first leader as well killing an 8-0 out right with a 1.

sdennis

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
So from the British side... it would have been nice if either of the smoke missions that wanted to come down but needed extra draws would have. It would have been nice if the pre-reg accuracy roll was not a 6.... it would have been nice if gusts were not rolled on the turn I finally got the smoke down... it would have been nice if the FT had actually broken someone in the fanatic post office...

Losing the tank was not ideal, losing one to depletion sucks. I've had multiple depletions each scenario so far...

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
So from the British side... it would have been nice if either of the smoke missions that wanted to come down but needed extra draws would have. It would have been nice if the pre-reg accuracy roll was not a 6.... it would have been nice if gusts were not rolled on the turn I finally got the smoke down... it would have been nice if the FT had actually broken someone in the fanatic post office...

Losing the tank was not ideal, losing one to depletion sucks. I've had multiple depletions each scenario so far...
Those Postal workers are a fanatic lot, prone to going Berserk. Should be a modifier while in the Post Office to increase the probability of them going Beserk.🤔😉

sdennis

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
So we squeezed in another turn last night, British still struggle to make any progress and suffer casualties. Lost another 1.5 squads? At one point I hit a stack of 3 436s like 3 times with 1MCs? only one of them broke! the 9-1 passed every time and the conscripts kept rolling 5s....... We went through a sequence where we both averaged like 4? on the dice.

It seems like I will likely push everyone out of the big perimeter west of the road for the 1 point. But he already has enough CVP for the extra point and it seems like I can't get into the post office...

OBA smoke is still keeping me isolated from his big stacks but I now have 2 squads on wire (one I didn't see the wire under the smoke :)) the other one I did on purpose!

The big weapon to get me into the post office (the FT) promptly rolled a 10 on its second shot and did nothing...

The new debate we are having is do the British attack during the next (night) scenario? I can't see giving him 9 free points (assuming I take the one away) but he keeps saying the CX rolls will eat me up...

Interesting debate.

Den589

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
So we squeezed in another turn last night, British still struggle to make any progress and suffer casualties. Lost another 1.5 squads? At one point I hit a stack of 3 436s like 3 times with 1MCs? only one of them broke! the 9-1 passed every time and the conscripts kept rolling 5s....... We went through a sequence where we both averaged like 4? on the dice.

It seems like I will likely push everyone out of the big perimeter west of the road for the 1 point. But he already has enough CVP for the extra point and it seems like I can't get into the post office...

OBA smoke is still keeping me isolated from his big stacks but I now have 2 squads on wire (one I didn't see the wire under the smoke :)) the other one I did on purpose!

The big weapon to get me into the post office (the FT) promptly rolled a 10 on its second shot and did nothing...

The new debate we are having is do the British attack during the next (night) scenario? I can't see giving him 9 free points (assuming I take the one away) but he keeps saying the CX rolls will eat me up...

Interesting debate.
We are sitting at German Turn 4. Steve is pushing hard in the south. I am playing a shell game in the post office, with concealed stacks jumping into the post office each turn and the stripped guys jumping back to gain ? every turn. I now have a 16FP -1 led stack in the level one of Q8, which with our rubble placement is a key hex, but he keeps dropping smoke in front of him. My snipers broke another squad in the south, the kills came from a mortar hitting a squad repeatedly in the north woods at Q1 until it disappeared and a double break from a MG rate shot of a half squad in M13.

In the south, as Steve said we both were rolling so hot that we essentially did nothing to each other. I placed a DC on a guy, get a 4MC nearly rubbling the building, he passes it. I hit him with a 16+3 and a 16+2, and he shrugs them off. And as Steve complained, my conscripts led by a 9-1 in K18 just wouldn't break.

That brings us to our argument at the end of the day. If Steve gets me down to 9 VP for the day which would bring my total to 19 VP (with another 1 VP for CVP), so call it sitting at 20. Can he afford to go idle and give me a free 9 and get me to 29? I think he has to or the Combat Exhaustion is going to kill him in the last three scenarios. He seems to be leaning towards attacking I think. There are 6 VP in the south, if he goes idle he must take the post office, the factory and the cathedral in the next scenario, no choice or its over. The post office and factory should be easy with the north opening up. He seems to think he must attack at night so he doesn't have to take the cathedral in the AM scenario, I think if you dont take the cathedral in the AM it is probably over regardless.

Den589

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
We finished the PM scenario yesterday with it ending on the first possible roll, even with another turn or two I doubt he would have taken any LVP away from me especially with the +1LV coming up. I was able to keep Steve from pushing me out of the L17-L19 area and in fact counter-attacked a bit pushing the border out to L17-K18-J18 at the scenario end. I also caused quite a bit more casualties. I am at 20LVP and 33 CVP; so its really 21LVP due to the 33 CVP; so only 19LVP to go. Steve is contemplating resigning and is taking some time to think about if this is worth continuing. We did some math and it is looking like a steep struggle for the British. To add insult to injury, his 10-2 went away in the refit due to the wound. He did battle harden (& heroic battle harden) an 8-1 all the way up to a 9-2, so he would start the night with 2x 9-2's and an armor leader 9-2. He did manage to critical hit one of the 75*INF guns with a mortar eliminating it and its crew.

Part of his dismay has been the complete lack of any casualties for the German. I've only lost a total of around 3 squads plus the crew/75*INF gun and 0 leaders in two dates while the British have lost 1 tank, 4 leaders (plus the 10-2) and 11 squads. Casualties on the first date were mainly due to the mines/booby traps, in this scenario I had some decent luck late with CC and everything else was double breaks/rate tears by the MG's or Mortars with the tank dying to the aforementioned street fighting from the post office fanatic strongpoint.

I may try to convince him to let me try the British if he does concede this. Our layman analysis so far coordinates pretty well with Tom's write up in DFTB #44. Steve pushed very hard for the Post office and the Rail Station and was completely stuffed just like Tom warns in his article. We both agree now with Tom (Steve should have known better!!!!) that the attack through the south could yield much better and set you up to take the Cathedral which is where the big LVP are anyways.

Ganjulama

Tuco B.P.J. Maria Ramirez
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Our layman analysis so far coordinates pretty well with Tom's write up in DFTB #44. Steve pushed very hard for the Post office and the Rail Station and was completely stuffed just like Tom warns in his article. We both agree now with Tom (Steve should have known better!!!!) that the attack through the south could yield much better and set you up to take the Cathedral which is where the big LVP are anyways.
That is pretty much what happened in my game vs. Nelson. The Post Office looks so close, so inviting, and so takable, but it is an absolute beast in sheep's clothing.

Den589

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Sounds like Steve has decided to soldier on, and is attacking in the night scenario. Hopefully Combat Exhaustion starts to rear its ugly head. I'll be setting up over the next two weeks as he is living his jet-setting lifestyle and flying to Vegas for the week.

sdennis

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Maybe I just want to let you stew on it and than change my mind? I'll be drinking at the cabana trying to decide :)
I also need to decide if I want to try to use the WASPs at night, I have a 33% change that my tanks are recalled... wondering if it's worth the risk to buy them

Vic Provost

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Vic
Country
llUnited States
I really liked the sniper rule that Tom put into this. Very cool and a good reflection of how they worked.
You are not kidding Carl, Tom put as much energy and expertise into this HASL as he did with VotG.

Great job and glad you guys are enjoying it, it sure was hoot to playtest, Vic.

sdennis

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
So I finally made some time to return the Neil's and start the night scenario.
We got a turn and a half done last night and I see the writing on the wall. My tanks were recalled (1/3 chance).

Neil had a lovely starshell that allowed his OBA to come down right in the south chokepoint and basically as long as he keeps it he doesn't have to move it for the rest of the game and it will likely keep me from making ANY progress down there which means maybe not getting that point again... lucky...

It was in a pre-reg hex and he rolled a 4, we spent some time determining if the night LV applies as an observer hindrance and settled on no.

Everywhere else is slow going with finding a lot of HIPs in the North. The black watch entered on the north edge but that also costs me a point...

I'm thinking I completely botched the British in this one and we might be done unless somehting happens here in the next playing or two.