Pacific CGs without USMC

Chas

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Good, competent leaders are present in most every squad. That is what allows squads to do what they do. They just aren't represented by counters. Exceptional leaders with skills beyond that are represented by SMC.
The mentioned "competent" leaders from previous posts likely turned 3-3-6 sailors into 4-4-7s.

witchbottles

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Good, competent leaders are present in most every squad. That is what allows squads to do what they do. They just aren't represented by counters. Exceptional leaders with skills beyond that are represented by SMC.
The mentioned "competent" leaders from previous posts likely turned 3-3-6 sailors into 4-4-7s.
I'd tend to agree as the game is based on "design for feel" rather than "design for literacy or historical accuracy".

Besides, the USMC Staff NCOs have been making Naval Officers for decades now - and a few pretty damn good ones, too :). LEave the shavetail ensign or j.g. in the capable hands of a caring Marine NCO/SNCO. We'll bring em home wiser, even if that wisdom came from the shiner they are now sporting.... :eek::oops:;)

"...At AOCS, all basic military training was administered by enlisted United States Marine Corps drill instructors, a holdover from World War II when AOCS and NavCad graduates were given an option of a commission as either an ensign in the Navy or a 2nd lieutenant in the Marine Corps. This facet of the training was considered a point of pride by the graduates of AOCS and a mark of distinction they felt separated themselves from the graduates of the original OCS in Newport, as well as NROTC and the Naval Academy. Tradition dictated that when AOCS graduates were commissioned, the first salute they received was from their former Marine Corps drill instructor (returned with a silver dollar handshake).

When AOCS and OCS merged, the unified OCS program retained the Marine Corps tradition alongside Navy Recruit Division Commanders (RDC). This continuing Marine presence is the origin of the slogan "Navy owned, Marine Corps trained" and the distinctive blue "Bulldog" company guidons..."

Jerry O. Tuttle 1956 NAVCAD "Gray Eagle"
Everett Alvarez Jr. 1960 AOCS Second longest-held prisoner of war in U.S. history
Jeremy Michael Boorda 1962 OCS Chief of Naval Operations, 1994 to 1996
Bob Kerrey 1966 OCS Medal of Honor awardee, 35th Governor of Nebraska, United States Senator, 1989 to 2001
John Kerry 1966 OCS United States Senator, 1985 to 2013; United States secretary of state, 2013 to 2017
Vern Clark 1968 OCS Chief of naval operations, 2000 to 2005
William P. Driscoll 1969 AOCS Ace
Gregory G. Johnson 1969 AOCS "Gray Eagle"
Dale Gardner 1970 AOCS Astronaut
Joseph E. Kernan 1974 AOCS 48th governor of Indiana
Gregory C. Johnson 1977 AOCS Astronaut
William E. Gortney 1977 AOCS "Gray Eagle"
Robin Braun 1980 AOCS First woman to lead any reserve component of the U.S. military
Barry E. Wilmore 1986 AOCS Astronaut
Erik Prince 1992 OCS Founder of defense contracting firm Blackwater
Michael P. Murphy 2000 OCS Posthumously awarded the Medal of Honor

Last edited:

Tim Niesen

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I agree. I am the guilty party. John Gordon does not even like ASL. I am the doubter of having inexperienced naval infantry who lacked the capacity to fire weapons portrayed as 447s. Many of whom were naval warehouse workers at Cavite Bay. I stand my ground. Note that the Japanese Official History states that this unit was brave but had strange tactics (inexperience?) I do not have the right to my opinion about representation of unit capacity? Someone raised the issue about noncoms being not represented in ASL terms, yet from the beginnings of Squad Leader that has been a heated issue. The depiction of the superior German infantry unit as a 467. The German sergeants were the heart and soul of the German Army, and one of the main reasons for the superiority of the German Army until late 1944, when deaths and attrition caused a decline in quality. That is why the German Army in ASL has more and better leaders. These two naval unit's had a similar structure, great leadership in their China gunboat noncoms and China Marine officers. Of course, these units were far inferior to even German reserve 447s. Indeed, I do own two Bounding Fire products. One European and one Pacific. I had been very impressed by them, in particular the Pacific Blood and Jungle. I am very impressed by them, only the French Company has better products. Tim

Tim Niesen

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Also note that the China gunboats had numerous 50 cals. 12 of them. The inclusion of the sailors as noncom leaders would have allowed this experience to be shown in ASL terms. The Japanese noted that the naval was brave so I think that the 7 morale is accurate. Tim

witchbottles

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I believe there were Marine DIs at Newport OCS in the early '60s when my father went through.

No, dammit Bates, your other left!
More likely in the 60's it was (Smack!) "That's your Left, Bates!" (Smack!), "That's your Right, Bates!" "Now Don't F#$k it Up Again, Bates!"

:D

As a DI, those Marine NCOs/ SNCOs are in what is termed "B" billets. You cannot make command rank (E-7 and above) without a completed successful "B" billet tour of duty. (OTher "B" billets are Primary MOS Instructor and Recruiting Duty). Among each "B" billet assignment- there are a small fraction of excellent performers who are chosen for "A" billets as they stand head and shoulders above their peers in the performance of duty in that "B" billet. For Drill Instructors, those few so noticed are offered a "Career-level B" billet. This is where the OCS draws its Marine DI's from. Other Career-level "B" billet assignments are as Company First Seargent, Battalion 1st Sgt, or Regimental Sgt Major for the Recruit Training Regiments, or as RSS GySgt, RS 1st Sgt or RD Sgt Major for the Recruiting Sub-Stations (RSS), Recruiting Stations (RS), Recruiting Districts (RD), or as Station 1st Sgt for the Recruiting District Officer Selection Team; For Primary MOS Instructors, command-level billets are as Range SNCOIC or the Instructor Platoon's GySgt, and the Instructor Company's 1st Sgt.

If selected an "A" billet Marine SNCO will serve in that capacity for a minimum of 6 years. More is expected.

In short, the cream of the crop here- about 1-3% (+/-) of the Marines who aspire to such an "A" billet actually make it that far before 20 years of service (or more).

Tuomo

Keeper of the Funk
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
As a DI, those Marine NCOs/ SNCOs are in what is termed "B" billets. You cannot make command rank (E-7 and above) without a completed successful "B" billet tour of duty. (OTher "B" billets are Primary MOS Instructor and Recruiting Duty). Among each "B" billet assignment- there are a small fraction of excellent performers who are chosen for "A" billets as they stand head and shoulders above their peers in the performance of duty in that "B" billet. For Drill Instructors, those few so noticed are offered a "Career-level B" billet. This is where the OCS draws its Marine DI's from. Other Career-level "B" billet assignments are as Company First Seargent, Battalion 1st Sgt, or Regimental Sgt Major for the Recruit Training Regiments, or as RSS GySgt, RS 1st Sgt or RD Sgt Major for the Recruiting Sub-Stations (RSS), Recruiting Stations (RS), Recruiting Districts (RD), or as Station 1st Sgt for the Recruiting District Officer Selection Team; For Primary MOS Instructors, command-level billets are as Range SNCOIC or the Instructor Platoon's GySgt, and the Instructor Company's 1st Sgt.
178 words
23 Acronyms/Word-shortenings
12.9 % AWSWR (Acronym/Word-Shortening to Word Ratio)

That's not gonna CUT IT, Marine!

TopT

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
More likely in the 60's it was (Smack!) "That's your Left, Bates!" (Smack!), "That's your Right, Bates!" "Now Don't F#$k it Up Again, Bates!"

If selected an "A" billet Marine SNCO will serve in that capacity for a minimum of 6 years. More is expected.

In short, the cream of the crop here- about 1-3% (+/-) of the Marines who aspire to such an "A" billet actually make it that far before 20 years of service (or more).
I knew 2 that completely excelled at recruiting. Both smoked their quotas and helped everyone in their recruiting station.

One would finish his last 6 years as a MGySgt for a RD in Southern, CA. If a new recruiter struggled they would bring him in to critique you and 'fix' you. If you still couldn't do it, you were fired and sent back to the fleet and your career was pretty much over. He retired after 30 years.

The other let it go to his head and thought he walked on water. His antics finally caught up to him and facing an almost certain Court Martial he left the service (17+ years) for greener pastures. This dude could swim forever, run even faster and was a dead shot with a rifle or pistol. It was a shame he wasted it. Last I heard he was headed to Afghanistan as a contractor.

witchbottles

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
178 words
23 Acronyms/Word-shortenings
12.9 % AWSWR (Acronym/Word-Shortening to Word Ratio)

That's not gonna CUT IT, Marine!
There's a boatload of non-jarhead, can't hack it civilians or other service out there, even reading these posts. As a tried and true shellback Leatherneck - I do my best not to scare them off possibly upping with the Corps with tales of BOHICA or how SNAFU'd, TARFU's or FUBAR'd it can get in the cluster f$%^ed world of the fleet :), where dog and pony shows and trying to keep the butterbars from wasting your whole platoon by marching them into an impact area at a CAX are SOP for any SNCO in the Utah State Marble Champions

mi80j

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I thank you for "having my back". Very much appreciated. However, Tim is entitled to his opinion as is everyone else. If he can provide multiple sources of verifiable documentation that supports his view that Corregidor may not be authentic then I am more than willing to consider his POV. Otherwise, his statement is an opinion, nothing more. I stand by my years of work and numerous sources of research in supporting what has become BFP's Corregidor module.
You are welcome, and far too generous.

However, expressing an opinion - sincerely and candidly and free of malice - is one thing; using language that is clearly calculated to be obliquely insulting (the Steve Martin "wild and crazy guy" tenor of the relevant post alone I find fascinating!), while simultaneously leaving oneself enough linguistic room to slither away behind a smokescreen of plausible deniability, is offensive.

mi80j

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I agree. I am the guilty party. John Gordon does not even like ASL. I am the doubter of having inexperienced naval infantry who lacked the capacity to fire weapons portrayed as 447s. Many of whom were naval warehouse workers at Cavite Bay. I stand my ground. Note that the Japanese Official History states that this unit was brave but had strange tactics (inexperience?) I do not have the right to my opinion about representation of unit capacity? Someone raised the issue about noncoms being not represented in ASL terms, yet from the beginnings of Squad Leader that has been a heated issue. The depiction of the superior German infantry unit as a 467. The German sergeants were the heart and soul of the German Army, and one of the main reasons for the superiority of the German Army until late 1944, when deaths and attrition caused a decline in quality. That is why the German Army in ASL has more and better leaders. These two naval unit's had a similar structure, great leadership in their China gunboat noncoms and China Marine officers. Of course, these units were far inferior to even German reserve 447s. Indeed, I do own two Bounding Fire products. One European and one Pacific. I had been very impressed by them, in particular the Pacific Blood and Jungle. I am very impressed by them, only the French Company has better products. Tim
How's your man
Rock, Sgt. Dan?

mi80j

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I think the telling phrase is that he "...suspects that it is fine...". I wonder if he even owns C:tR at all, and if he does, has he opened it? played anything form it? read any of the materials or rules for it?

If I examined an item closely, I wouldn't "suspect" anything - I'd know, one way or the other.

Just saying. YMMV of course.
I believe that, on this one, our vehicles got EXACTLY the same mileage.

ASLSARGE

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
At BFP we are working on a mini-HASL depicting the fighting in and around the sports complex just south of Manila in 1945. Map is about 24" x 24" with (IIRC) 7 scenarios and one full CG. Pits U.S. 1st Cavalry Division against Japanese 2nd Naval Battalion.

conscriptvlad

Reaction score
Country
llPhilippines
At BFP we are working on a mini-HASL depicting the fighting in and around the sports complex just south of Manila in 1945. Map is about 24" x 24" with (IIRC) 7 scenarios and one full CG. Pits U.S. 1st Cavalry Division against Japanese 2nd Naval Battalion.
That's practically where I live! I just passed by it a few minutes ago in fact