Japanese Riders

Juan SantaX

Reaction score
Country
llSpain
Another silly one... It sounds weird to me

A Japanese Rider squad that just pins must bail out, but if it fails a MC, dont have to bail out.

Its that right?

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
Correct.

Old Q&A as well

D6.23 & G1.12-.13 Are IJA Rider Squads forced
to Bail Out if they are fired on and fail a MC?
A. No, unless they actually break (e.g., Casualty
MC). [Compil9]

9) 27 February 1999

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Another silly one... It sounds weird to me

A Japanese Rider squad that just pins must bail out, but if it fails a MC, dont have to bail out.

Its that right?
It depends.

"D6.23 TARGET STATUS: Riders are always Vulnerable to fire; i.e., they can never be BU like an AFV crew or halftrack Passenger, nor do they receive any CE benefit. Riders are subject to Collateral Attack. AFV Riders must Bail Out if pinned or broken."

If a Japanese units fails a MC, this does not necessarily mean that it breaks. It might just stripe. In that case, it would not have to Bail Out. If it can't stripe or reduce to a HS, which means if it is a HS Rider that fails its MC, then it breaks and must Bail Out.

If it Pins, the Japanese unit must Bail Out. Note that afterwards, per G1.13 what follows is considered an "Other Break" and not an "Attack Break".

von Marwitz

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Looks weird, but it is as is written
This is not the only time when a Pin result is worse for the Japanese than almost everything else. I have lost more than one scenario due to a Japanse unit Pinning whereas it could have otherwise happily striped or be reduced to let me move in for the win.

Two games ago, the pleasure was with my opponent because for this very reason he could not advance into a Victory Hex.

von Marwitz