Good Pre-Reading for "Sword and Fire: Manila?"

Major_Tom

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llBelgium
Having pre-ordered "Sword and Fire: Manila" (don’t ask me what the approved abbreviation might be), I have realised that, unlike the previous, heavy-duty, urban-based HASL efforts in Stalingrad and Arnhem, my library lacks the depth of knowledge about the 1944-45 Philippines campaigns. Could anyone recommend a good volume or two on the battle for Manila? The final MMP product will certainly come with a good bibliography, but I like to come to the party with at least an inkling of a clue.

Thanks!

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
For a brief overview you may try the U.S. Army's Center For Military History Publication CMH Pub 72-28 Luzon or for bit more in depth look at it read CMH Pub 5-10-1 Triumph In The Philippines, Part Four: Securing The Manila Bay Area, Chapters XII thru XVI. These are open to the general public at large and may freely be downloaded in PDF format from their website.

jtsjc1

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The Green Books are always a good source as Eagle4ty has stated.

hongkongwargamer

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom

Old Noob

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Took a few years, but have all the 'green' books.

Hutch

Curator of the ASL Armory
Reaction score
First name
Hutch
Country
llUnited States
The Battle for Manila, Richard Connaughton
Rampage, James M. Scott

Major_Tom

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llBelgium
Sorry for the delay, but my thanks to you for pointing me in the right direction! Happy reading!

macrobo

King of Boxcars
Reaction score
First name
Rob
Country
llAustralia
Hi All

My two cents

not a great movie but does have a few things in it worth watching

Cheers

Rob :)

ASLSARGE

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

ASLSARGE

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I think my bibliography for this module has lik 30 to 40 sources listed. Should provide all the background reading anyone could want.

ASLSARGE

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Available through Amazon, Paperback version. 69.00 USD though.
It has been out of print for about 20 years......not surprised at the price for the paperback version. I got mine back in 1999 for $15 IIRC. The publisher is in the Philippines. I contacted them several years ago and inquired about a reprint.....they were not interested at that time. There are several very good books available for reasonable prices, at Amazon, Barnes and Noble, and used book stores such as Half Price Books. I think the most costly book I purchased for researching this project came from a publisher in Great Britain.....the history, TO&E, and other details for the 1st Cavalry Division from 1940 - 1945. Price was around $125 if I recall.

conscriptvlad

Reaction score
Country
llPhilippines
I think my bibliography for this module has lik 30 to 40 sources listed. Should provide all the background reading anyone could want.
Are there any books that deal with the Battle of Manila in a military studies approach similar to Glantz's writings on Stalingrad? As far as I know the mass market books found in Amazon, B&N , etc. on the Battle of Manila mainly deal with the terrible human experience. Its too bad that the Filipino publisher isn't willing to reprint the book. How different is it from foreign published books on the topic? I imagine its probably similar to Mr. Scott's book Rampage.

ASLSARGE

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Having pre-ordered "Sword and Fire: Manila" (don’t ask me what the approved abbreviation might be), I have realised that, unlike the previous, heavy-duty, urban-based HASL efforts in Stalingrad and Arnhem, my library lacks the depth of knowledge about the 1944-45 Philippines campaigns. Could anyone recommend a good volume or two on the battle for Manila? The final MMP product will certainly come with a good bibliography, but I like to come to the party with at least an inkling of a clue.

Thanks!
SF:M

ASLSARGE

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Are there any books that deal with the Battle of Manila in a military studies approach similar to Glantz's writings on Stalingrad? As far as I know the mass market books found in Amazon, B&N , etc. on the Battle of Manila mainly deal with the terrible human experience. Its too bad that the Filipino publisher isn't willing to reprint the book. How different is it from foreign published books on the topic? I imagine its probably similar to Mr. Scott's book Rampage.
The US Army "green books"...specifically "Triumph in the Philippines" gives a very nice overview of the entire battle. Other good sources are "Retaking the Philippines" by William Breuer and "The Battle of Manila".....but the author's name escapes me at the moment....Connaughton IIRC.