AAR - The Good Shepherd - HS30

Major Issues

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Vince
Country
llUnited States
To help keep the children safe from Covid, we sent them to a boarding school on a remote mountaintop in Montenegro.

Sure, they complain now, but in 40 years or so, they will look back on the experience as being the Best Days Of Their Lives.

Or not. I’ll be dead by then, so I won’t care.

Walt and I had played a couple Riley’s Road scenarios. The only one we did that did not use the HASL map was The Good Shepherd.

DASL boards, supposed to be a quaint German village, filled with 447 Germans with a 75 INF and StuG for support. They also have 12 mine factors.

The Canadians are 458s, with three Shermans and a WASP coming in on turn 1.

Fear This!

VC are building control. At only 5-1/2 turns, the Canadians have to push, especially since the victory buildings are multi-level, so the Germans can hole up in the attics for a win.

With a HIP squad, a HIP gun, HIP mines, and a buncha concealment counters, the Canadians can get some nasty surprises.

My plan was to ignore the monster building in the center of board c, and take the ones north and south of it. I had one firegroup to try to shoot up a building, while a HS with a mortar would hopefully provide smoke. Neither shot worked. The remainder of the on-board squads (4-1/2) would charge forward, as would the three reinforcing squads, led by a 9-2, Lt. Mowat, eh?

I saw building hL4 as being a key position. The Wasp was sent to flame it on the first turn, which it did, turning the squad there into cinders.

One squad ran into a minefield in the hF5 woods – not an unexpected spot for them. But my squad shrugged it off, and entered and exited without casualties. When you regularly engage in bench-clearing fights during a friendly hockey game, actual combat is probably safer.

I think the StuG was too far forward. I was able to get infantry next to it, but outside its covered arc. Turn, shoot, miss, IF, miss, then die in CC. With a 9-2 and squad, I think I needed a 9.

The 75 INF was in a better spot across the street, but I was able to get a squad across, and it went down in CC.

The Wasp was nailed by a PF, ending its short but brilliant career. One Sherman did get a hit on some Germans in a stone building, blasting them to bits.

It wuz just ugly after that. Having made it into buildings, Walt didn’t have the firepower from his mostly lone squads to cause much hurt to 8 morale guys. I think around C4 I made a push and actually got some troops into the cH2 building, though I lost a tank to a PF doing so. But CCs in two other buildings went my way, so I had my needed 4, and he conceded. I did lose the 9-2 and a squad in the last HtH CC against a lone 447, which sucked.

The Canucks celebrated their victory by drinking 17 cases of Brador, eating poutine, and taking the afternoon off to go ice fishing.

Neither one of us could see anything good to do with the two Trench counters. Most of the German setup board that is not buildings is paved roads. Putting them up front is more likely to provide cover for the Canadians than the Germans.

I think that it is an interesting scenario, and would take either side. Walt’s big weapons did not do much, nor did the mines or the HIP squad. So there was definitely potential there for him to hurt me. HIP HSs in upper levels can take away a victory building - or two - that the Canadians thought that they had.

I think the scenario is a lousy recreation of the events, however. The quaint village is filled with monster 2 story buildings, and looks like Rostov. In the battle, the reinforcements charged into town as tank riders when the initial assault failed. Here, they come in on turn 1, and orchards and 11 squads with PFs will pretty much guarantee that the infantry won’t come in as riders.