SASL only players?

DQuin

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Does anybody here play SASL exclusively when playing ASL solo? If so, what is it you like better about SASL than simply playing both sides of a scenario?

I’ve been toying around with both and can’t quite decide which I like better. I love the balance of a standard scenario, but for a solo experience, I think SASL provides another very important layer of suspense and “realism” with fog of war and command & control. So many charts and dice rolls though!

kcdusk

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
What i like about SASL
  1. no pressure to do 2, 3 or 4 logs per week. I play when i want, and can stop mid turn
  2. i actually really like the SASL system
  3. I like running "my guys" through multiple scenarios. i feel like each game is a "band of brothers" like chapter
  4. i like tweeting something against me or in my favour, when i want to try something different or play against a particular thing (like i'll randomly give my side or theirs a flamethrower, or air support, to try those rules)
  5. depending on my mood, i can play any sort of game i feel like playing
  6. i don't mind all the charts and die rolls. Once you've done it a few times, you can get through it pretty quickly. Quicker than waiting for an opponent to complete his turns most times
What i like about ASL play by email
  1. playing alone most of the time, i've developed some bad rules habits (playing the game in the wrong order or playing a common rule just plain wrong through ignorance. I like when my opponent pulls me up and straitens me out
  2. i like feeling like i am playing against another person, are they a stronger player than me? Will they fall for this fake edge board run?
  3. i like the wity banter that comes with most games

DQuin

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
What i like about SASL
  1. no pressure to do 2, 3 or 4 logs per week. I play when i want, and can stop mid turn
  2. i actually really like the SASL system
  3. I like running "my guys" through multiple scenarios. i feel like each game is a "band of brothers" like chapter
  4. i like tweeting something against me or in my favour, when i want to try something different or play against a particular thing (like i'll randomly give my side or theirs a flamethrower, or air support, to try those rules)
  5. depending on my mood, i can play any sort of game i feel like playing
  6. i don't mind all the charts and die rolls. Once you've done it a few times, you can get through it pretty quickly. Quicker than waiting for an opponent to complete his turns most times
What i like about ASL play by email
  1. playing alone most of the time, i've developed some bad rules habits (playing the game in the wrong order or playing a common rule just plain wrong through ignorance. I like when my opponent pulls me up and straitens me out
  2. i like feeling like i am playing against another person, are they a stronger player than me? Will they fall for this fake edge board run?
  3. i like the wity banter that comes with most games
A nice breakdown. I’ve really enjoyed how the SASL system can create a unique narrative with the random events that’s rarely duplicated in a standard scenario.

vetsurg

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I learned ASLSK playing solitaire and it didn't go well, but got the basics down. I took lessons on VASL with Pat Ireland for a year which helped me learn the game correctly. Then I met a great group of guys who played full ASL monthly and I really enjoyed the FTF play even though I got my butt kicked routinely. However, they taught me a lot about the full game mechanics and tactics in general. Over a year ago I moved to an area where there are no FTF players and I have been forced to play solitaire (I really don't like playing VASL on computer). Solitaire play is just not satisfying to me as there is no fog of war aspect to it.
Not long ago I pulled out my copy of SASL that I bought last year and really learned the system. I have to say that it is absolutely awesome. For a novice like me, it allows me to take my time, look up new to me rule concepts and really understand them, and enjoy playing solitaire. I like the fact that despite the game being different from FTF play, it still forces me to think through everything I do and puts me in challenging situations. Oh, and when I think I have control of things an RE gets thrown in that rattles the game completely. At this point, I can't see playing any other way than SASL for a long time. I am really enjoying the CG's that are out there or just playing a random mission.

jyoung

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
I agree with @vetsurg, I've played a few of the same scenarios both solo (non-SASL) and against real opponents, my decisions are inevitably altered by omniscience and the solo ones never seem to play out anything at all like against a real opponent. So solo for me really has to be SASL to maintain the fog of war.

Last edited: