What next?

Aldgisl

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
A Rotterdam 1940 HASL has been rumoured for many years, but as the designer, I can says it is real. No timeline, but I can say Charlie Kibler is doing a fantastic job on the map (a far cry from my coloured pencil and chalk creation). It is interesting to see the old city centre of Rotterdam come back to life. This part of the city covered by the map (should be a single map sheet) was almost completely obliterated. Of course, having to work with the hex grid etc. some compromises from reality have to be made, but on the whole it will be quite accurate recreation. The area covered is roughly from the Leuve Haven on the west to the Maas Station on the east, and from the north bank of Noordereiland on the south edge to the area of the Laurens church to the north. This does include the entire width of the Nieuwe Maas River (about 8 or so hexes), and yes there are scenarios featuring German amphibious crossings.

TimNiesen

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Robin, I do have a rulebook, but when we tore down the last game, they became buried in the attic somewhere. Steve also has a copy of the rules. However, Steve lacks the Finnish section of the rules, resulting in my asking the question concerning those rules when we played one of the new Roma action pack scenarios. The 92nd division versus the German trained non ELITE Italian 467s. Great scenario! Tim

TimNiesen

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Steve and Don 1 are both refusing to buy Red Factories. I played the Berlin scenario with the multilevel building from Critical Hit with Don2 about five years ago. The four or five levels of that famous building was confusing. I kept losing track of where the units were located. Konigsberg seems a good option. I love the map. $60 is affordable for me. $164 not so much. Preordering Rising Sun seems like a better choice. Tim

AdrianE

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Therefore, we do not need Red Factories to play Konigsberg? This is an inaccuracy in the Pittman Review?
I reviewed the KBR rules carefully.
  1. You do not need RF to play KBR. You only need the rulebook. KBRs rules cover all required terrain.
  2. Pittman's statement in his review is incorrect.
  3. Buy KBR. Its fun.

TimNiesen

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Okay. There is an internal debate. I am being outvoted. It will be an unpopular choice. Steve bought the game in 2019. And I bought a Deluxe map for the game. Which after reading the reviews and the play balance, I regreted the purchase of the mapboard. I will certainly not do an after action account of it. Although no doubt I will post inane questions. Sorry. I would prefer an Eastern Front game. Tim

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Okay. There is an internal debate. I am being outvoted. It will be an unpopular choice. Steve bought the game in 2019. And I bought a Deluxe map for the game. Which after reading the reviews and the play balance, I regreted the purchase of the mapboard. I will certainly not do an after action account of it. Although no doubt I will post inane questions. Sorry. I would prefer an Eastern Front game. Tim
What Deluxe game are you referring to?

atago44

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I reviewed the KBR rules carefully.
  1. You do not need RF to play KBR. You only need the rulebook. KBRs rules cover all required terrain.
  2. Pittman's statement in his review is incorrect.
  3. Buy KBR. Its fun.
By the way, Desperation Morale reviews are set up for reader comments, and I believe that both positive and negative ones get published. You might want to send a reply indicating your findings.

TimNiesen

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I hate to admit this but Steve and Don 1 voted to play Stonne, one of the best games from Critical Hit. I forced them to take the German side. Tim

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
I hate to admit this but Steve and Don 1 voted to play Stonne, one of the best games from Critical Hit. I forced them to take the German side. Tim
I don't know how many versions of CH's Stonne are out there. But in at least one of them, there is that single crucial hex when moving up that road that must be passed which nobody ever really managed to. I think there are old threads about it somewhere.

von Marwitz

TimNiesen

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I have seen the report; that is why that I insisted upon playing the French. I was hoping that my opponents would decline. Don1 thinks that a combination of rusing motorcycle infantry into the sunken road and Stukas on the second turn can break the bottleneck open.. Sounds doubtful to me. I have a very inexperienced partner, but he wants to beat Don1 badly. And we take the CharBs! Tim

TimNiesen

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The prospect of having Stukas gives Steve a feeling of glee. How effective give are they compared to normal fighter bombers? Tim

atago44

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The prospect of having Stukas gives Steve a feeling of glee. How effective give are they compared to normal fighter bombers? Tim
The can be very effective if they hit the target. Their chances are about the same as any other fighter bomber, I assume. They are fun.

One thing to remember is that they have machine guns for strafing, and they do not necessarily have to drop their bomb load to attack.

TimNiesen

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thanks for your input about the Stuka, for I have had no experience with them. There were rules for them quite different in SL. Not that I ever played SL often. So I guess their main difference is that they carry larger bombs. Steve is easily excited. I still am likely to purchase the Lone Canuck module on the Eastern Front. Beautiful mapboard. Tim

Michael R

Minor Hero
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
I believe the Stuka's main difference from other DB is the automatic pin with a Point Attack.

TimNiesen

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Okay, Is this pin automatic? Or does it require a hit or a near miss? Don1 figured out the air rules for the first time in our group. Steve and I seldom played with air support in our thirty years of playing ASL. And when we did we totally misinterpreted those rules. Steve compared the air rules to his early attempt to learn French. I first started to unravel the air rules by looking at the advanced sequence of play. At that point, I realized that our feeble attempt at the air plane rules had been totally wrong. Tim

TimNiesen

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
More likely time to search for it in the attic. We are not playing until July. The Spa room has yet to be converted into the new game room. The 300 plus Dennis, whose knees are shot, would never make it to the third floor on a consistent basis. Tim

atago44

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Time to purchase a rulebook, Tim. 😉
I agree.

And the best deal is the electronic version from the Wargame Vault. It is only $60.00 and authorized by MMP.

You put it on your computer and don't lose it. It is not big and bulky, and you don't tear the pages. If you need to, you can download a copy and put it on a flashdrive or laptop. Heck, if you really want to you could print out all 700+ pages.

There's never been a better deal.