Scenario 12, ASL Scenario P The Road to Wiltz: compare and contrast, thoughts, AARs

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
I'm of the opinion that proper research is necessary in order to ensure the action is properly represented by the scenario. You will definitely have to fudge a few items to balance the scenario (small unit actions are seldom even odds affairs) but if the history is not accurate then it's all make believe. Fiction.

In Scenario P, for example, if there was an attempt to represent the actual battle against the 5th FJ Div on the 19th of Dec there would be no armour or FTs on the US side (except perhaps a few HTs) but they would probably have a few more 666 and 546 2nd line units and maybe an M8 or M16 MGMC. On the German side the Jgpz IV/70s, Pz IVH, Pz IIIM, HTs, the 467s and 468s would be replaced by a host of 447s, a few sapper 548s and StuG IIIs who were intent on taking the town.

Or,... it could be done as a a night scenario where a mixed bag of US troops and vehicles need to exit # CVP off a map edge in the attempt to retreat the night of 19/20 Dec.
I can certainly understand and respect those players who highly value historical accuracy in a scenario. I wouldn't like to see Tigers in 1940 but am relatively flexible beyond such an extreme example. Nor am I concerned that the unit portrayed in a scenario wasn't actually there. As long as it's a close approximation that's good enough for me.
ASL is such an amazing game that it satisfies the gamer who is casually interested in history and the player who requires a system that can accurately portray that history.

All that being said I'd rather play an inaccurate scenario that's fun than an accurate one that's dull.

That being said I rarely found a SL/ASL scenario to be dull! Good stuff !

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
I was thinking about Tigers facing armor from 1940. It seems as if such a face off would be a good way to train on how to take down the beast. Refine your tactics with tin cans then when you face it with contemporaneous armor you have those tactics and the advantages of the newer armor. Just a passing thought.

Reactions: Del