Deep Dive: The Guards Counterattack (Classic ASL A)

bendizoid

Official ***** Dickweed
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Here is my first AAR. Enjoy.

Thanks for the fine AAR. I have some friendly advice: use initial deployment. You can freely break down at set up 10% (FRU) of your force into halfsquads so you can spread out more. Basically, a squad is twice the target of a halfsquad and two squads are x4 the target of a halfsquad, so you are multiplying the attack effects by being too crowded. Use all the hexes available to spread out as much as possible, this has a side effect of giving you MORE attacks available (which are way nastier at -2). Move the HMG to stack with your best leader, the 9-2, because the ROF multiplies the neg mod several times over possibly.

Last edited:

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Excellent AAR. One thing that would have made it a bit better would have been a short description of the Russian pre-game intentions (i.e. his plan and how he intended to implement it). You could then contrast the eventual play/outcome based upon your respective plans.

NOTE: This is not intended to be a negative reflection on the AAR as given but simply food for thought.

Pip Smith

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Thanks for the fine AAR. I have some friendly advice: use initial deployment...
Hey bendizoid, thanks for the friendly advice. Yeah. Always used to forget to deploy. Need a setup checklist to prompt me. Something psychological about going bah, but they are only 2FP (when it's really like 2FP x 2 as a FB is the original 4FP). Besides can have twice as much fun.

Pip Smith

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Excellent AAR. One thing that would have made it a bit better ...
Hey Eagle4ty. Thanks for the feedback. Got that rectified for me next one coming. My opponent has agreed to do that. I also like the "I thought you were trying to do this" and the "nah, I was trying to do that."

Just couldn't do it with this one cause I felt a bit weird, started the game and never mentioned it to the guy I was playing.

Yeah, 2 points of view really seem to make them for me.
Thanks

bendizoid

Official ***** Dickweed
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hey bendizoid, thanks for the friendly advice. Yeah. Always used to forget to deploy. Need a setup checklist to prompt me. Something psychological about going bah, but they are only 2FP (when it's really like 2FP x 2 as a FB is the original 4FP). Besides can have twice as much fun.
Yes, 2 FP needs a ‘5’ for a MC that’s 10/36 chance, a 4 FP needs a ‘6’ for a MC that’s 15/36. You get about 33% more firepower with the half squads shooting in the streets and your opponents firepower is halved (basically). That’s like a 133% shift in a raw FP kinda way.

bendizoid

Official ***** Dickweed
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
This could be the most important thing to know: when you stack two squads you basically double your opponents firepower, when you stack three squads you triple their firepower. Don’t stack, especially on defence.