What next?

Tim Niesen

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Not sure that this post is put in the right area, but I did not know where to post it. My small group has ordered the Manila module, but we fear that it will not be ready by this summer. We are anxious to start by July after we all have been vaccinated. Therefore, I am asking for recommendations for monster modules to play before that we receive the Manila module. I am considering Lone Canuck's Konisberg, as well as Crossing the Moro. I have seen no reviews of the latter module. Has anyone played this German/Canadian game? Shield of Cholm looks extremely well done, but Pittman's review of it indicates that Red Barricades rules are needed, which none of us own. Can anyone give us suggestions of monster games with well done maps. I am referring to non MMP games. Tim

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
I don't expect Manilla to be ready this Summer.
Winter Offensive at the beginning of 2022 is more probable.

pwashington

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Not to derail the thread, but the MMP Pre-Order page shows 7 items that have reached their pre-order number (not counting the map pack since that one is already shipping). That's great for MMP, but it also likely means there will probably be a several month wait for some of the items. Not sure what their order of production will be. I'd like to think Manila would be available by this fall. I'm hoping for HL2 by WO22.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Not sure that this post is put in the right area, but I did not know where to post it. My small group has ordered the Manila module, but we fear that it will not be ready by this summer. We are anxious to start by July after we all have been vaccinated. Therefore, I am asking for recommendations for monster modules to play before that we receive the Manila module. I am considering Lone Canuck's Konisberg, as well as Crossing the Moro. I have seen no reviews of the latter module. Has anyone played this German/Canadian game? Shield of Cholm looks extremely well done, but Pittman's review of it indicates that Red Barricades rules are needed, which none of us own. Can anyone give us suggestions of monster games with well done maps. I am referring to non MMP games. Tim
You could always just play Clearing the Breskins Pocket. Not a module but a monster scenario nonetheless.

Better yet break down and get Red Barricades if it's available. A lot of good stuff there.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Bumped up the King of the Monster Scenarios thread for you to check out. May have something there to hold you over until Manila is released.

Btw couldn't find anything on the Scenario Archive about Clearing the Breskins Pocket being played.

RandyT0001

Elder Member
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
First name
Cary
Country
llUnited States
Bumped up the King of the Monster Scenarios thread for you to check out. May have something there to hold you over until Manila is released.

Btw couldn't find anything on the Scenario Archive about Clearing the Breskins Pocket being played.

atago44

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Shield of Cholm looks extremely well done, but Pittman's review of it indicates that Red Barricades rules are needed, which none of us own. Can anyone give us suggestions of monster games with well done maps. I am referring to non MMP games. Tim
I understand your point about wanting non-MMP games.

Nevertheless, even though you are wanting TPPs, a copy of Red Barricades would be a good investment, given that many TPP HASLs reference it when it comes to rules. It is available in the Red Factories HASL module, which granted is quite an investment financially. However, Red October--the "other half" of Red Factories--was still available as a stand alone product last time I checked the MMP website. It should include the Red Barricade rules, and costs half as much. Of course, despite the cost, I think the full RF is worth the investment, given that RB is currently not available as a stand alone product.

I noticed that you refer to being part of a group. Another selling point for RF is that it has a campaign game that combines both RB and RO. If you've got four guys, they can all play at the same time.

I hope this helps.

Last edited:

Tim Niesen

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I have preordering the Manilia games, the new Map bundle, and Devil Caldron. Plus purchasing the final batch of two WTJ ships for my conversion from Navis to WTJ for the Japanese Navy of WW1. Therefore, my spending is limited...two more large games likely to break the bank. How much of Red Barricades rules are really needed for Shield of Cholmn? Tim

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
I have preordering the Manilia games, the new Map bundle, and Devil Caldron. Plus purchasing the final batch of two WTJ ships for my conversion from Navis to WTJ for the Japanese Navy of WW1. Therefore, my spending is limited...two more large games likely to break the bank. How much of Red Barricades rules are really needed for Shield of Cholmn? Tim
Can't help you there. I suggest that you should save your money and play one of these Monster scenarios. Why not use what you already have? Explore the possibilities of what is in your kit. If a Monster strikes your fancy and you are missing a component it can surely be found for much less money than a complete new module. Just a suggestion. As you can tell from the King of the Monster Scenarios thread there is a lot of cool stuff out there.🤗

bprobst

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Bruce
Country
llAustralia
How much of Red Barricades rules are really needed
I feel that you're kind of dancing around the core issue here. Why don't you own a copy of RB (any edition)?

You want to play a monster ASL game, so you clearly are invested in ASL as a way to occupy your time. Don't spend money on other stuff, they might kiss nice but will leave you eventually. Find a lover that will stick with you and be there for you always. Her name is Red Barricades and is worth whatever price you have to pay.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
I feel that you're kind of dancing around the core issue here. Why don't you own a copy of RB (any edition)?

You want to play a monster ASL game, so you clearly are invested in ASL as a way to occupy your time. Don't spend money on other stuff, they might kiss nice but will leave you eventually. Find a lover that will stick with you and be there for you always. Her name is Red Barricades and is worth whatever price you have to pay.
Amen to that! One of the best cases I've heard for Red Barricades! Well put Sir!🤗🤗

Tim Niesen

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
My old friend and opponent Steve suggested that we play Red Barricades, but we need something smaller before playing the Manila campaign game. We want the preliminary game to last only three to five months. The Konisberg module looks very interesting. Neat mapboard. New German late war units, etc. Also at least one new type of Soviet 628 with PF and smoke. Anyone with feedback about this game. We really liked the early 1943 Romanian/German versus Soviet Marines game from Lone Canuck was excellent and we played the campaign game twice. Don suggested that we play it a third time, but I want something new. Watchtower...as a lead into Manila...would be an option if I owned a copy. But prices on that out of stock game are quite high. Tim

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
My old friend and opponent Steve suggested that we play Red Barricades, but we need something smaller before playing the Manila campaign game. We want the preliminary game to last only three to five months. The Konisberg module looks very interesting. Neat mapboard. New German late war units, etc. Also at least one new type of Soviet 628 with PF and smoke. Anyone with feedback about this game. We really liked the early 1943 Romanian/German versus Soviet Marines game from Lone Canuck was excellent and we played the campaign game twice. Don suggested that we play it a third time, but I want something new. Watchtower...as a lead into Manila...would be an option if I owned a copy. But prices on that out of stock game are quite high. Tim
Red Barricades is the where you should put your money. It may not be a new module but well worth adding to your collection. I can't guarentee that you would enjoy it but we spent months on end playing the campaign games. We loved it.🤗

olli

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llGermany
All LCP mini HASL’s are good , Konigsberg scenarios are all tight and make both sides think, I have played all but one of them and Crossing the Moro is a good pack to although I have only played a couple of scenarios from it

Tim Niesen

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Olli, a mini-HASL is what that I desire because of the time frame. I had fun doing the after action report on the breakout module although both were lopsided victories for Don1 and I. Taking the two hills on the first session for the Soviets doomed the Axis effort. The 105 land lease howitzers placed on the hills during the refit phase, overlooking the city, proved the key to victory. Although it relied upon getting the final die six of three or less to attain the extra turn which was essential for seizing both hills. A Rumanian pocket was formed in the valley, which fought heroically to survive but failed in the second session. The second session also saw the fall of the factory on its final turn. The third session saw a German armor and infantry counterattack which failed. (Here a different choice of a Rumanian engineer company would have caused a different situation.) The fourth session saw a rapid taking of the church and town. Tim

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
Tim, you could try some of the BFP HASLs which are available. There is Onslaught To Orsha, Corregidor and Objective Schmidt. Non of them are particularly long. Just big enough to fill in the gap until Manila is available.

Tim Niesen

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Onslaught to Orsha. Looks very interesting. I am interested. How long is the campaign game? Are there night scenarios? Steve loves Eastern Front scenarios. Almost insanely. To get him to stand up to the posssive spouse we need something to tempt him. Stiffen his backbone. I was very proud of him the last time, he not only stood up to his wife but also the crazy mother in law. Both of them had declared no more wargames. Tim

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Onslaught to Orsha. Looks very interesting. I am interested. How long is the campaign game? Are there night scenarios? Steve loves Eastern Front scenarios. Almost insanely. To get him to stand up to the posssive spouse we need something to tempt him. Stiffen his backbone. I was very proud of him the last time, he not only stood up to his wife but also the crazy mother in law. Both of them had declared no more wargames. Tim
Your friend Steve loves the Eastern Front and none of you own Red Barricades? 🤔

For the sake of Steve's marital bliss it's probably just as well you don't have Red Barricades. It's rather addictive and might interfere with his husbandly duties!😉🤪

You can lead a gamer to Stalingrad but you can't make him drink from the Volga. I'll stop pimping RB on your thread though I encourage others to put in a good word for it.

Whatever course your group finally decides on good luck and good gunnin' to you all.

atago44

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
You might be surprised at how fast Red Barricades can go. My experience with campaign games has been that, if one side gains an advantage, then the game is over. That can happen very quickly. Plus, I would not count on Manila being out in three months. MMP has a lot of things on its plate, and Manila just reached its pre-order number.

One thing you might consider is Bounding Fire Productions Objective: Schmidt (not the other company's version). It includes two campaign games on different maps, so if you have a group, again you can play simultaneously. Another really fun TPP game is BFP's Onslaught to Orsha. Both of these are reviewed in Desperation Morale.

I am not trying to dissuade you from buying the Lone Canuck's products. Their products all look extremely fun. I understand they have a reputation of high quality products, and nobody can beat their prices.