TPBF vs Berserker from an AFV

sfcmikej

US Army Retired
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I may be confusing this with something else. I have looked but haven't been able to find it in the book. C5.5 and 5.51 only seem to apply to guns and perhaps main armament. Does an AFV have to change CA to fire CMG at a berserk infantry unit entering its hex? Any reference would be appreciated.

Thanks

Mike

Larry

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
C5.51 does not address guns or CMG.

unless firing during the opponent’s MPh as Defensive First Fire, in which case the firer’s CA is changed only as much as is necessary to include the hexside that moving unit used to enter that hex during that MPh. This is the only instance where Case A DRM are applicable with Case E DRM [EXC: VBM; D2.321].
C5.5 does. But the same mechanic applies.

sfcmikej

US Army Retired
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Larry,

Thanks for your response but I am afraid I am still unsure of what the appropriate way to handle this situation is. 5.51 is a subparagraph of 5.5. Since 5.5 starts out with "Any gun firing within its own hex..." then 5.51 also applies to guns. Since Case E is a To Hit modifier I think, by definition, it does not apply to a CMG IFT attack.

I seem to recall two differing passages, neither of which I am able to locate. One about the BMG not needing to change CA to shoot in hex and one that seemed to indicate that if you shoot at an in hex target during the MPh then your CA must cover the hexside entered through. Still not sure how to play this.

Mike

ScottRomanowski

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
There was a Q&A in Journal #1. Turning to include the direction applies to BMG/CMG.
"C3.2 & D1.81-.2, D8.5 Can a Gun fire in its own hex (i.e., is its own hex considered in its CA)? Do the same principles apply to BMG/CMG?
A. Yes; except during the MPh if the hex is entered from outside the CA, when, even if the moving target now expends MP for some other purpose (e.g., firing sD or stopping and unloading Passengers), the Gun would still have to turn its CA to include the direction from which the hex was entered, or if the bow-mounted weapon of an Immobile vehicle (D8.5). Yes. [J1]"
So I'd say that unless the berserk unit entered the AFV's location from the TCA, the AFV would have to change CA so the TCA includes the hexside crossed.

EagleIV

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The part of C5.51 that talks about the firing unit's CA must include the hexside crossed in the MPh includes MGs with CAs.