Spray Fire question

John Fedoriw

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Hi gents,

In the attached pic can the FG in M8 do the following:

Fire both squads at N7 (12 FP for PBF) & spray fire the mg at N7 & N8 (4 FP each hex because they get PBF and are halved for spray fire) for a 16 FP attack vs N7 and a 4 FP attack vs N8, directing the 2 FGs with the leader for a 16 -1 shot at N7 & a 4 -1 shot at N8?

My reading of A9.5 SPRAYING FIRE & A7.53 FIRE DIRECTION make it seem OK because all firing units of the FG are in the same Location, but I wouldn't be surprised if I missed something.

Thanks,
John

Attachments

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hi gents,

In the attached pic can the FG in M8 do the following:

Fire both squads at N7 (12 FP for PBF) & spray fire the mg at N7 & N8 (4 FP each hex because they get PBF and are halved for spray fire) for a 16 FP attack vs N7 and a 4 FP attack vs N8, directing the 2 FGs with the leader for a 16 -1 shot at N7 & a 4 -1 shot at N8?

My reading of A9.5 SPRAYING FIRE & A7.53 FIRE DIRECTION make it seem OK because all firing units of the FG are in the same Location, but I wouldn't be surprised if I missed something.

Thanks,
John
Just didn't read far enough, see A9.52 Spraying Fire cannot be used in a FG attack unless all members of the FG are capable of Spraying Fire, opt to use it, and trace their LOS to the same two target points.

Larry

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Take the 12-1 first and then fire MMG at the other location for 8-0.

Larry

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Based on the PS,

If you can FG together, then you must.
If you cannot FG together, then you can fire separately.
Expect to see errata to clarify A7.55.
....Perry
If the MMG wants to spray fire at the two locations, it cannot FG with either squad. Could the MMG take a 4-1 spray fire and then the squads fire at either or both locations depending on the outcome ... since they cannot FG with the MMG and therefore can fire separately?

Based on the PS, looks like it.

EagleIV

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Based on the PS,

If the MMG wants to spray fire at the two locations, it cannot FG with either squad. Could the MMG take a 4-1 spray fire and then the squads fire at either or both locations depending on the outcome ... since they cannot FG with the MMG and therefore can fire separately?

Based on the PS, looks like it.
No, This is not an exception to Mandatory FG (A7.55).

John Fedoriw

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Damn....missed that. Thanks for the quick replies guys. I have been playing this game a long time but still sometimes screw up situations like these. So much minutiae to remember.....

Larry

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
No, This is not an exception to Mandatory FG (A7.55).
And the answer that I got:
Are GO units/weapons that aren't allowed to form a Firegroup exempt from the restrictions of A7.55?
Yes.
Example: During the PFPh, can the BMG of a tank and a MMC (wanting >to use its inherent FP) in the same location both fire separately at >the same enemy unit?
Yes.

If you can FG together, then you must.
If you cannot FG together, then you can fire separately.
Expect to see errata to clarify A7.55.

....Perry
MMP
If the MMG is spray firing and the unit pulling the trigger cannot spray fire, then they cannot FG together, => Perry sez to expect clarification. Based on the PS, not sure that A7.55 provides a complete answer.

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
The MMG and unit can make a FG together - hence A7.55 applies. Using Spraying Fire with the MG is an option - doing it does not make A7.55 NA, and that's certainly not then intention of the Q&A.

Larry

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
An AC with TH/IFE capacity also armed with MG. The AFV fires the MG to no effect. The AFV cannot fire IFE because it could have formed a FG with the MG. Can it fire the MA with a TH even though it had the option of using IFE?

Larry

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I know I will eventually drown from going deeper into the abyss:

D3.5: The FP of a vehicle’s various MG/IFE armaments may all be added together for one attack (assuming the target lies within their respective CA), or fired separately at different targets [Mandatory FG (A7.55) applies]
Higher alpha-numeric etc. The IFE and MG may FG and must to firegroup at the same target under D3.5.

I want to use C8.31 for my IFE-capable weapon after firing a vehicular mounted MG, hoping to leverage my number of attacks by getting either a critical hit or multiple hits, taking advantage of the higher ROF of the MA. If I understand your answer correctly, if I choose to use the ordnance option, I can separate the MG from the MA and make two attacks.

The AS 42 aa can clearly fire the MG at one unit and the IFE at the other. Can the AS 42 aa fire:

1. its MG at the one squad and then fire the IFE using spray fire at both?
If a squad with a MG could not, then I assume "no."
2. its MG at one squad and then the MA using at the same target using the ITT?
Since an MG can fire on the VTT at a vehicle with exposed PRC and failing to get a kill would be eligible for a collateral attack and then follow up with a IFP attack from the manning or same-hex infantry, I assume "yes." The only point of distinction is that this is not a VTT situation but instead an ITT.

Drown me.

Attachments