Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gerry
Country
llCanada
Also Known As:

Tom and Gerry’s Excellent Adventure

ROAR/ASL Archive - 13 Russian wins vs 4 German wins as of posting this AAR.

Last Christmas the two Tuomo’s played this scenario for the Illuminating Rounds YouTube channel and set off one of the more lively discussions we’ve seen on IRs. This inspired others to have a go at the scenario with additional AARs being posted. While von Marwitz and I sat down to play a live game, Tom Y (Eagle4ty) and I began a PbEM game 31 Dec that wrapped up 13/14 March with some 91 log files being exchanged. Here is our AAR with comments.

t.y.: Asked by Gerry if I would consider a game of BoF 16 “Saluting A General” I acquiesced to his request after reading some other AARs about the scenario. Not a scenario that would normally trip my trigger as a force of Germans have as their objective to seize a piece of non-descript wooded terrain with no real military value from the Russians and the scenario objective has only a mild relevance to the background information (and real world) situation presented. My first question was why had the designers even bothered to delve into an attempt for historical accuracy for forces involved yet so totally miss the overriding rational for the engagement in the first place. However, I have enjoyed other offerings by the designers and overlooked the historical shortcomings of the scenario design for the game design elements that I was fairly sure was fairly well done.

Set Up

Gerry:
As the Russian this time I looked at how to improve a few Russian DFF opportunities without committing much in the way of additional strength to the picket line. To this end I placed the usual five squads along the forward line with two in an ‘intermediate line’ (including the ATR covering the Bd 42 road) and four squads with the HMG, LMG, both SMC and 82* Mortar to the rear. The weight was set a bit more to the north as I wanted to discourage a German infantry thrust across the more open ground and hopefully convince Tom to drive harder in the south across the more difficult Board 42 woods terrain. The route to the VC area was longer here and it might buy me some time should my Russian infantry fail to make much impression on the German advance (which turned out to be more accurate than I had hoped).

Tom: Looking at the terrain it is quite evident there are 3 distinct avenues of approach towards the objective area:

1). The northern approach (board 5) offers little to invite a major push thru this area as it quickly narrows to a single viable rapid approach with a constricting woods-road on its perimeter. Additionally, an early push by any infantry in this area would have to contend with much open ground to cross, easily defended by paltry forces falling back slowly with plenty of covering terrain to assist their egress in relatively good shape.

2). The central approach was thru the board 85 village that would allow a relatively rapid avenue of advance for armored forces but offer a defended a plethora of good defensive terrain modifiers for defending infantry well into the depth of the position if adequately defended. It also afforded a relatively safe egress all the way back to final objective for the defenders while providing several fall back positions with good fields of fire against advancing infantry should I choose to attack infantry heavy in this area. In my estimation if adequately defended, this would induce the largest amount of infantry casualties to clear and impose the greatest amount of delay upon what I considered would be an infantry fight for the ultimate objective in the final turns.

3). The third approach is of course through the board 42 village and towards the hedge encircled compound. Though the village is primarily consisting of stone structures it offers the German infantry a relatively covered and concealed attack avenue and an ability to engage and overcome resistance relative close to their jump off positions. It also offers and decent route of advance to flank Russian positions on board 85 and decent final objective attack positions especially if a rapid advance to flank and envelope the objective by either troops or fire could be made.

After viewing Gerry’s initial infantry defense I opted for the board 42 approach only being mildly surprised he had only garrisoned the village with a single stack and had deployed another a bit too far forward in reserve with limited fall back opportunities towards the final objective once my armor (armour for Gerry) had arrived. My biggest failure thus far had been to not allocate enough infantry to the Bd5-85 push (perhaps another sqd or sqd & HS), this would have severe repercussions much later on.

Turns One and Two:

Gerry:
Being right about Tom’s direction of attack didn’t make me at all happy as my infantry couldn’t seem to pass a #MC or PTC to save their lives (literally). My whinging early in the game was focused against a series of 2 and 4 FP attacks (usually with a 0 or even +1 mod) that would eventually cost me six of the eleven squads with little or nothing to show for it. Rally attempts did not go much better and in the end only five squads made it back to the VC area. About the only thing I could claim as a silver lining was that the Germans slowed down some infantry to gather the prisoners.

My tanks did get into initial positions but like others, we did not realize the LOS along the board 85 forest road was blocked so I had some Acq markers placed where they had no right to be. Tom’s armour rumbled onto the map and made short work of whatever Russian infantry was within reach.

Tom: I envisioned my attack as taking successive objectives and using the bulk of my panzer force to draw his tank’s attention away from the main axis of approach. To this end I had designated the objectives as “Anna (Bd 42 village area)”, “Betty (Bd 85 village area)”, “Claire (Bd 42 compound area)”, “Debbie (Woods & Walls Vic 85K5)”, and the final objective “Erika (always a great name for a German objective-love the song)”. My infantry force was heavy on Bd 42 with a small left flank force (too small as mentioned) to push through Bd 5-85). My panzer force was organized just the opposite with a heavy platoon tasked for bd 85 and a light plt assigned to support the main infantry push, a Pz IIIJ with an armor Ldr was assigned to each.

As Gerry alluded to during the 1st couple of turns I was able to envelope Anna and she succumbed to my advances but not without a whimper, as though her defenses quickly faded resistance offered slowed my approach towards Claire by about a half a turn. Also, my plan showed its weakness early and I had to adjust on the fly detaching a HS and my 2nd Pz IIIJ towards Betty to ensure she had sufficient pressure put upon her to enable my left arm of the attack to attain its objectives of taking Betty and drawing his armor in that direction. Though my early shots were fairly decent I also began to be concerned about this as I realized that in ASL what goes around usually comes around and I would probably miss those low DRs further on in the engagement. Also, by turn 2 Gerry had adjusted to the fact his near hard forward defense was a fallacy and though I had hurt several of his infantry, he started pulling the rest of his gravel agitators rapidly back towards Debbie & Erika covered by his armor.

Turn Three (German):

Gerry:
Tom’s turn three saw a snappy CH against a HD Stuart but this was countered by a gun malf’n on one of his three Pz IIIJs (it was quickly repaired). This turn also saw a bit of overreach by the German panzer commander as he rolled into view of the Russian kill stack of two 447, an 8-1, the HMG and LMG. The result was a stunned crew. At the same time my attempt to retreat with the mortar was cut off as another Pz III rolled into 42W2 and a flanking position versus a HD Lee in 85K6. It was here that the first instance of the slower PbEM pace helped me out. The 82* mortar was assembled and took a Def Fire shot that not only hit 42W2 but also Stunned the crew and immobilized the tank.

Tom: As you will notice from the pictures throughout the battle both sides choose to fight crew exposed most of the time. As noted above this did cause me some consternation especially in the Claire objective as two tanks were subjected to Stuns. However with a low APCR availability number and marginal penetration value of AP ammunition vs the majority of his armor I figured a bounding (first) fire shot was much preferred with a lower TH DRM especially with a ROF of 2. In fact many of my shots were HE hoping to get a specific collateral attack against his CE crews as opposed using APCR early or an AP hit with a low probability of a kill result.

On Gerry’s part, I must add the assemble-&-shot by the 82* Mtr in the same phase was a nice touch regardless of the fact the result was rather disappointing to me. I was, however, a bit buoyed by the fact I had inflicted first blood in our armor engagement and had severely reduced his infantry force thus far.

Turn Three (Russian):

Gerry:
By the Russian turn three it had become clear that the infantry that was going to make it back to defend the VC woods had done so and they would have to manage. I made use of the gun notes for the 82* mortar and dropped +3 Smoke on the immobilized Pz III in order to help the Lee in 85K6 withdraw. The mortar was then disassembled and I hoped to advance away and out of LOS. I was to be disappointed as a German Def Fire shot gunned down the crew with a K/2. I also realized that too much armour was in the north and I shifted most of it to the centre and south of the map to hopefully prevent a deeper flank move. The Stuarts are fast and as Tom had yet to commit his main armoured attack, I was able to move the tanks into better positions.

Turn Four (German):

Gerry:
Tom’s armour began its main attack and attempted to isolate and kill a Stuart in 85J5 with two Pz IIIJs, one popping SDs and laying +2 Smoke. Boris the Brave took up the challenge and promptly killed one Pz IIIJ with a CH and then bounced a number of rounds off the second panzer. This would set off a gun duel between the two tanks over the next full turn with both sides using IF, wrenches, rocks, pointy sticks and extremely harsh language.

Later, a third Pz III also came into LOS of the Lee in 85J2 which snapped off a B75 CH that blew the overmatched tank into small bits and pieces. Two more Pz IIIs manoeuvred into position in 85Q9 and Q10 to engage a third Russian tank in 85I10, setting off another shoot out. All the while, German infantry pressed forward into the 85I1 woods while one more Pz III began a flanking move to the south. The score was now two dead German tanks to one Russian and the fun had just begun.

Tom: As stated it was this turn that things started to heat up (literally for a couple of my panzers). It was also this turn that it became overbearingly clear that I should have allocated another couple of HS (at least) to the direct assault on Debbie, she was disturbingly alluring but certainly made of sterner stuff. With Gerry corseting Debbie & Erika with his armor, my relatively unsupported and weaker panzers would have to face a plethora of shots from Russian tanks in decent positions and normally getting off first shots. Added to this was the fact Gerry had shown he was not averse to tempting the fates with intensive fire shots and had yet to malfunction a single weapon even with a reduced breakdown number.

Turn Four (Russian):

Gerry:
By Russian turn four it was clear the Russian armour was still not placed to best support the infantry in the woods. While I could have tried to pull back the two remaining Stuarts, they both had worthwhile targets in either tanks or infantry so they remained to play rearguard and earn their posthumous Hero of the Soviet Union medals. It came as a surprise to both Tom and I that the Stuart in 85F1 and the Pz III in 42W5 could not see each other (thanks to a BMG burst), so the Stuart turned its remaining guns on the infantry closing through the adjacent woods. I did score an HE CH but it didn’t do much in the way of permanent damage.

The Stuart in 85J5 fired off three shots at the Pz IIIJ in the smoke to no avail, leaving brave Boris to mutter a few prayers to Saint Nikolas. The Lee in 85I10 dispatched the second Pz IIIJ then turned its guns on the ATR squad before it could try to immobilize him,… thankfully the ATR ran out of ammunition or jammed or whatever. With these successes the remaining two Lee tanks pulled back to cover the 85I1 woods with their various cannon and machine guns while the Russian infantry sorted themselves out in the final positions.

Tom: By now I was down 4 panzers to Russian fire, 2xPz IIIJ, Pz IIIH & an immobilized Pz IIIG, and my main infantry force was seemingly hugging the skirts of Claire in what was becoming a one dimension effort. Between the MGs of the Russian armor and the double slaps of the Lee’s guns every time the infantry were able to push toward Erika they were repulsed with extreme prejudice in the other direction. Thus far only the single Stuart had been deleted from the Russian OB, this would have to change fast as the projection for future successful mission accomplishment was starting to fade fast.

To be Continued.

Last edited:

The Purist

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gerry
Country
llCanada
BoF 16 Saluting a General

Tom and Gerry’s Excellent Adventure
(Part Deux)

Turn Five (German):

Gerry:
Tom’s Pz IIIJ finally won the duel against the HD Stuart in J5 and the rest of his armour pressed forward to engage the last Stuart in 85F1. The surviving Stuart managed a hit on the moving Pz IIIH, which having a hull AF of 6, survived the TK attempt with a Shock result. Two more Pz IIIGs manoeuvred to be able to bring fire on the Stuart from nearly opposite sides. German infantry pressed forward again into the 85I1 woods with the Lee tanks engaging with HE. Up north the German infantry failed to repair the ATR and were driven off by the the Lee in 85I10. Other German infantry continued to round up broken Russian infantry who showed an annoying lack of commitment to the cause.

Tom: Time was running short & I now had to take the fight to the Russians in their back yard if I was going to be in any position for a last turn attempt at Erika, this meant taking some calculated risks and just a couple of wild a$$ moves. I knew that I would have to pressure his remaining armor away from the outer defenses of Erika to allow my infantry a chance to move into their final objective jump off positions. Much of his armor was either masked or had their MA turned in an inopportune direction to meet my moves. However, I did not count on a total lack of sD usage and sure shooting on the part of his remaining Stuart (to include yet another successful IF shot). As his remaining infantry scurried to the rear to prepare for the final struggle, my infantry continued to be pummeled by his Lees and seemingly end up going in the wrong direction.

Turn Five (Russian):

Gerry:
While waiting on Tom’s Rally Phase log file I had time to study the map and try to figure out what to do about the last Stuart and its dilemma in facing three tanks if the shocked Pz IIIH recovered. Initially, I had envisioned little more than blasting away at the Pz IIIH if it recovered or try to kill the other Pz III 85K6. Once again, the time lag involved in PbEM helped out. I looked at the odds of shooting first at K6 then going for the Pz IIIH. The first TH# w/b a 6 due to range and hindrances but a miss would still allow for IF. An IF shot at 85I4 would still be a TH 8 if things did not go well and as the Stuart was likely to die anyway, a broken gun would mean little. As it turned out the Pz IIIH recovered from the shock so I went for the riskier shot first. The Pz IIIG in K6 was hit in the hull and with a TK of 8 was killed. The IF shot at I4 also scored a lucky turret hit and the Pz IIIH died, the crew bailing out. This created a new dilemma in the use of the CMG. I had hoped to use it to swing the turret around to face the third Pz III but that would have left a GO crew (infantry) too close to the VC woods and able to cause trouble. I fired on the crew and the dice remained kind, breaking the target.

Meanwhile the Russian infantry seemed disinterested in digging in despite their bonuses and leader supervision. The two Lee tanks facing the German infantry advance blasted away with everything at their disposal to help break up the enemy concentration, while the third Lee moved to join the final defence. With the two kills against Tom’s armour I became more confident that I could hold the Germans from the VC area provided I made no mistakes or the Lee’s did not start breaking their guns.

Tom: By the end of this turn I was down two more panzers and most of my grenadiers heading in the wrong direction and a little less enthused. I was also starting to say to myself Gerry is overextending his luck with his IF shots from weapons with a B11 whereas I felt the dice gods were a bit unkind to me (I know, whining doesn’t change things but it helps me get it out of my system to a point-call the whaaambulance!). Perhaps I should have abandoned the immobilized panzer this turn (at least), but I had a feeling it wasn’t going to make up for the lack of cricket crunchers allocated for the thrust through Debbie towards Erika. That mistake had been made a long time ago and there was little I could really do to redress that problem now.

Turn Six (German and Russian):

Gerry:
Alas, the last Stuart died in Tom’s turn 5 DFPh (the rear turret hit mattered here). Tom used turn six to regroup and rally his infantry for the final attack while his two remaining tanks took up positions on both flanks. At first, I thought of setting the Lee tanks directly behind the woods to blast anything that came into LOS but finally decided that would leave too much room for Tom’s shenanigans with the tanks, SDs and bounding fire shots. In the end I drove two tanks into the woods with the third to cover the obvious tank charge from the south.

True to form for my infantry in this game, a concealed 447 entrenched in 85E6 tried to skulk away to avoid DF but Tom’s Pz IIIJ shot through the brush, into the woods and managed to score a hit, a MC and a Break,… the Russian are down to four GO squads. Everybody else skulked out of LOS and then advanced back to cover each of the six VC hexes with a concealed infantry unit (two hexes would only have an SMC each). While Tom’s chances of pulling out a win were slim at this point it was still possible so with bated breath, we went on to German turn seven.

Tom: There was little to do other than try and rally as many ground pounders as possible and move my Pz IIIJ into a position to put some fire on the upper part of Erika and be prepared for a last ditch run to tie up some infantry FP or perhaps get a lucky kill (or two) against his remaining armor (which by the way had yet to malf a single gun!...Not that I noticed or anything!...Not whining you understand, just stating a fact.) Meanwhile my Pz IIIG moved into position to make his last turn do or die suicide run to perhaps eat up some defensive fire. I figure my chances now were about 10% or less of being able to pull this one out; just needed a bit of help from Gerry’s dice (well actually the dice bot).

Turn Seven:

Gerry:
Tom’s final attack had to go perfectly and my job was to not make any mistakes and pray the dice cooperated. To this end I knew I could not risk anything but PB fire with negative modifiers with the infantry (or no fire at all to keep concealment). Tom began with infantry moves against the northern end of the woods and I ignored anything that did not move adjacent. The 8FP -1 and SFF 4 FP -2 attacks were enough to break the movers there. Next came the Pz IIIG from the south, opposed by the Lee with orders to IF everything to stop him from getting behind the VC area. With four potential shots, each with an initial TH of 8, then an IF TH of 7 the odds of the Pz III getting past the Lee were slim but possible. The first B75 missed but the IF shot scored a hit and the kill. At this point the odds of the German infantry getting past a concealed 447 in 85F3 and the Lee, concealed 447 and LMG 85E4 would have been nigh on impossible, so Tom conceded.

Tom: My plan was to use the Pz IIIG to hopefully run thru 85C3Lee’s hex, drop sD and proceed to 85D4 taking both remaining Lees either up their poop-chute or in their side. This might be able to open up some opportunities for the Pz IIIJ and would screen one Lee from taking any effective shots on a couple of 468 squads that would have to run the gauntlet behind Erika. If no one broke or died, perhaps even create a hero, this would leave the rest of my shuffle masters to kick in the front door. I figured my chances of success were around 2%.

Final thoughts:

Tom played an excellent game and he kept me on my toes right to the end. Had this been a ‘live game’ with a quicker pace I may have missed a couple of critical points that helped turn the game in my favour in turns five and six. That said, Tom could do little against the TK#s on the Russian tank guns and German advantages of black TH# and Fast Turrets didn’t matter much if the Russians are engaging at 6 hexes or less. By comparison the German infantry advance is easier as they can chose to concentrate on one thrust to drive on the objective, but that’s not enough for this scenario.

The dice were not overly harsh to either side but the Russian guns do not need more than average DRs to score hits and kills at ranges imposed by the terrain. The German infantry cannot reasonably be expected to obtain the objective area (even with an extra turn) if the German tanks cannot overcome their Russian counterparts. The Russian tanks fit the historical time period, the German tanks (the Pz IIIGs) do not, at least not in the numbers provided. The tur/hull AFs of 4/6 on the Pz IIIH would help dampen the TK# advantage held by the Russian 37LL (TK11) and 75 (TK13) guns on the Russian side.

I still offer that changing the OoB to 3 Pz IIIJ, 3 Pz IIIH and 2 Pz IIIG w/APCR (or a similar change) with an extra German turn would provide for a better battle, keeping in mind that an additional turn also means the Russian gain more opportunities to scupper the German attack. Having played both sides in this scenario it is good scrap but the German player will experience some frustration.

Tom: In summary I believe my overall plan was valid given the defensive setup but lacked in execution. Not enough infantry was allocated to the central push and lack of aggression with my panzers in mid-game by my put me a half turn or better behind schedule. Gerry played a solid game as there’s no reason for him to counterattack in the scenario and the wealth of tubes and the potential to take first shots, or at least first less modified shots, really enhances the Russian’s possibility of a successful outcome in the armor battle. Once Gerry had realised his mistake of trying to defend too far forward for too long with his ground pounders & withdrew his remaining infantry towards the final objective effectively girdling it for the final fight, it was going to be very tough to break down a competent defense of Erika. I believe the shortcoming in the scenario presentation as I see it is not with the forces involved but with the representation of the type of action depicted; in other words I feel the objective of the action is all wrong. As is I give the tip of the hat to the Russians in this one about 65% of the time.

All said however, I found it to be a fun and exciting scenario against a quality opponent. Having never met or played Gerry previously I found him to be an outstanding and very competent opponent as well as a joy to play. The DR’s in the game I don’t feel were any too one way or the other but I do feel Gerry got a bit of exceptional luck in not malfunctioning a single gun even though he was not averse to taking several Intensive Fire shots with B11 ordnance. Hey, when you’re on a roll go with what you’ve got!

Last edited:

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Nice AAR! I have been Gerry's opponent edging out a very close close win when he played the Germans, so I read this with interest. My Russian tanks had been haunted with countless Malfunctions which had allowed Gerry to get into the back of the Russian victory area. However, in the last turn there, his Panzer IIIJ gacked his rolls, saving - in both senses of the word - the Russian rear.

Over the last couple of weeks, I have observed plenty of playings of this scenario on VASL with both Russian and German wins.

von Marwitz

Smedley

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I just finished playing this last week. My Germans managed to knock out all the Russian tanks while losing half of the Panzers.
The game came down to the last push falling just short as my 8-1 leader couldn't roll snakes in CC. I think the scenario is a hoot. Might be a touch pro-Russian, but not enough to take away from the fun.

Rob

BattleSchool

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Replacing some of the Pz IIIGs with Pz IIIHs would certainly improve German odds of surviving a hit. I also think it would help to use the early-model Stuarts found in the original design. As I pointed out in my comments of another match, MMP inadvertently strengthened the Russian force by "upgrading" to the later model M3 light tanks. The smaller target size makes the Stuarts in BoF16 a little harder to hit for the loss of some BMG FP (vs stationary targets).

More important though may be game length. An extra turn would make this a more even fight, provided the Russians set up a screen well forward. Failing that, only lend the Russians two Stuarts for this engagement.

As for the historical rationale for the VC, I think the Germans were simply trying to restore their frontline, part of which apparently had been located in a nondescript patch of woods south of Karmanovo.

Karma's a bitch Oberleutnant. ;)

Last edited: