So what scenarios have you played Recently?

holdit

Reaction score
Country
llIreland
ASL 13 - "Le Manoir"

I tried out Mike O'Leary's solo rules with this, since the Germans set up entirely HIP'd, and the rules seem to work well, injecting some needed uncertainty.

Attack route 1 was the main plan, but it stalled a little with the paratroopers unwilling to break concealment and dash into the open against invisible German MGs, and the German MGs unwilling to go visible and fire until some paratroopers dashed into the open. The stalemate was broken by a pair of paratrooper squads taking attack route 2. One U.S. squad was broken and reduced in the process, but this move cracked the German defence and allowed the advance along attack route 3, which in turn emboldened the under-employed units from attack route 1, and the German position collapsed, albeit with the German MGs taking another Ami HS with them before they were overrun. The two Victory Locations fell on Turn 7.

A interesting scenario, with hardly a shot fired in the first four turns before things started to get noisy very quickly.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
ASL 13 - "Le Manoir"

I tried out Mike O'Leary's solo rules with this, since the Germans set up entirely HIP'd, and the rules seem to work well, injecting some needed uncertainty.

Attack route 1 was the main plan, but it stalled a little with the paratroopers unwilling to break concealment and dash into the open against invisible German MGs, and the German MGs unwilling to go visible and fire until some paratroopers dashed into the open. The stalemate was broken by a pair of paratrooper squads taking attack route 2. One U.S. squad was broken and reduced in the process, but this move cracked the German defence, and allowed the advance along attack route 3, which in turn emboldened the under-employed units from attack route 1, and the German position collapsed, albeit with the German MGs taking an Ami HS with them before they were overrun. The two Victory Locations fell on Turn 7.

A interesting scenario, with hardly a shot fired in the first four turns before things started to get noisy very quickly.

View attachment 17012
An oldie but a goody!🤗🤗

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Play tested some of my home made scenarios for the um-teenth time after receiving them back from others with comments:
"Duropa Dope" Japanese vs Americans, New Guinea 1942
"The Old Strip Tease" Japanese vs Americans, New Guinea 1942
"The New Strip", Japanese vs Americans & Australians, New Guinea 1942
"Are You Ready to Rumble" Russians vs Germans Belorussia, 1944

Don't know if any of them will ever see the light of day, but have gotten them down to last turn affairs and having fun with 'em.

Richard Weiley

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Managed to play (complete) a couple of games this past weekend.

WO 33 One-Eyed Jacques. Paddington Bearz on the Saturday. One of the best games I've played in a sometime. Had the Germans in this having planned a defence for the French but getting the attackers on a dice roll. Not having really considered the how I should attack I made a relatively cautious entry and finished a turn before breaking for lunch. Returned from lunch and had a good look at the map and the scenario card (5 turns!) and realized I'd better up the tempo.

Probably made an error at this point in deciding to go solely for the factory victory condition and ignore the rearmost VC building. Having correctly guessed where the 75 was (in the factory hex pointing straight down the road) I managed to smoke it and get two squads and a leader into CC and eliminate it in turn 2. By turn 3 I was getting infantry into the factory in strength but winning close combats was proving difficult. My undoing was the 25LL Gun crew on the opposite side of the building. I got a HS into CC with it in turn 3 but this degenerated into a stalemate until about turn 4 when my opponent reinforced the hex with his third crew. I upped the ante as well and had two and half squads in the hex for CC in my turn 5. I missed both my attacks (2-1 and 1-1) and my opponent then rolled snakes on a 1-4 to eliminate all my units and generate a 8-1 leader. This stack then hit an adjacent stack of three squads in prep fire with an 8 + 1 and broke the lot. I had a mired Pz 3 in an adjacent factory hex but the crews shrugged off the panzer's 20fp MG attack and I malf'ed the MA when I fired it - game over. As I said earlier I think I erred in not peeling off a couple of squads and a vehicle to threaten the second victory building and put my opponent in two minds. Even so it was a tense and very enjoyable game.

ROMA1 Eight Million Bayonets. Played the concluding session for this game on VASL on Sunday morning. I had the defending Greeks. Wanted to like the scenario but in the end found it too hard for the Greeks. Got off to a good start, making the Italian entry painful, eliminating about two and a half squads in the first game turn. All downhill after that. Italian 81mm mortar scored a critical hit to eliminate the 75 Art and I malfed one of the 65's during the Italian first turn. So I played most of the rest of the game with 1 gun operational. Italians didn't suffer another casualty until about turn five when opponent rolled a fate result on a self rally attempt. Around the same time I eliminated the broken 65 on a repair roll and the other gun malfunctioned. A couple of L3s had been recalled due to MA disablement and my opponent x'ed out the flamethrower but there were plenty of mobile L3s left to disrupt the Greek defence allowing him to take nine buildings. All my remaining infantry was either broken or locked in melee, so couldn't generate any firepower to interdict the crossroad hex.

Del

Reaction score
Country
llDenmark
Managed to play (complete) a couple of games this past weekend.

WO 33 One-Eyed Jacques. Paddington Bearz on the Saturday. One of the best games I've played in a sometime. Had the Germans in this having planned a defence for the French but getting the attackers on a dice roll. Not having really considered the how I should attack I made a relatively cautious entry and finished a turn before breaking for lunch. Returned from lunch and had a good look at the map and the scenario card (5 turns!) and realized I'd better up the tempo.

Probably made an error at this point in deciding to go solely for the factory victory condition and ignore the rearmost VC building. Having correctly guessed where the 75 was (in the factory hex pointing straight down the road) I managed to smoke it and get two squads and a leader into CC and eliminate it in turn 2. By turn 3 I was getting infantry into the factory in strength but winning close combats was proving difficult. My undoing was the 25LL Gun crew on the opposite side of the building. I got a HS into CC with it in turn 3 but this degenerated into a stalemate until about turn 4 when my opponent reinforced the hex with his third crew. I upped the ante as well and had two and half squads in the hex for CC in my turn 5. I missed both my attacks (2-1 and 1-1) and my opponent then rolled snakes on a 1-4 to eliminate all my units and generate a 8-1 leader. This stack then hit an adjacent stack of three squads in prep fire with an 8 + 1 and broke the lot. I had a mired Pz 3 in an adjacent factory hex but the crews shrugged off the panzer's 20fp MG attack and I malf'ed the MA when I fired it - game over. As I said earlier I think I erred in not peeling off a couple of squads and a vehicle to threaten the second victory building and put my opponent in two minds. Even so it was a tense and very enjoyable game.

ROMA1 Eight Million Bayonets. Played the concluding session for this game on VASL on Sunday morning. I had the defending Greeks. Wanted to like the scenario but in the end found it too hard for the Greeks. Got off to a good start, making the Italian entry painful, eliminating about two and a half squads in the first game turn. All downhill after that. Italian 81mm mortar scored a critical hit to eliminate the 75 Art and I malfed one of the 65's during the Italian first turn. So I played most of the rest of the game with 1 gun operational. Italians didn't suffer another casualty until about turn five when opponent rolled a fate result on a self rally attempt. Around the same time I eliminated the broken 65 on a repair roll and the other gun malfunctioned. A couple of L3s had been recalled due to MA disablement and my opponent x'ed out the flamethrower but there were plenty of mobile L3s left to disrupt the Greek defence allowing him to take nine buildings. All my remaining infantry was either broken or locked in melee, so couldn't generate any firepower to interdict the crossroad hex.
I played this recently as the Italians and steamrolled the Greeks. One of the problems is that the guns basically have to set up on the hill, which means that hitting anything is difficult. Red TH numbers, short barrel, double small moving targets if firing at the tanks... ‘Good luck’ I say! So they end up dueling with the Italian mortars as a sideshow. On the other board the 8 L3s and swarming infantry made short work of the Greeks. I also really wanted to like this scenario, but the Greeks really need some help here I feel.

gorkowskij

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
HG 15 King Darges

This “Twilight of the Gods” heavy metal collision has our Slavic heroes assaulting the Teuton castle atop a mighty hill and can be viewed in two separate phases which could actually be recast as two separate scenarios: 1) approach the hill, and 2) storm the castle. The “approach the hill” portion calls for well-chosen fire and deft maneuver, by both sides, over plenty of space for some very enjoyable ASL. The “storm the castle” portion is point blank, smash mouth, high density ASL with too many counters, very easy to lose track of what exactly is going on in each of those separate 7-deep stacks spread across two floors shrouded in smoke! And don’t forget, after all that epic combat, the defender could win by having a single HIP half squad on the top most floor of a castle that is otherwise overflowing with rampaging attackers. That possibility adds a third “bug hunt” phase to the scenario during the last game turn.

The pressing demands of real life forced us to wrap up without a clear victor after playing six of eight turns over about 10 hours. Not for the faint of heart, this monster will test your combined arms skills and esoteric rules knowledge as much as 10 regular scenarios combined. Some of the finer points we “rediscovered”: non-turreted guns that fire from woods/building/rubble fix their covered arc for the remainder of that phase, if already marked “Final Fire” one cannot then intensive fire in the Defensive Fire Phase, rubble LOS is confusing…

End game pic attached, only possible with the overlay. Fuller AAR at ASL scenario archive.

Attachments

Smedley

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Played BFP 25, From Villebaudon to Valhalla as the Germans. Got off to a rough start but after the American OBA went away and my AAA knocked down the fighter bombers the route was open. My feelings are that the defenders need to have at least even luck with the OBA and FBs to slow the 10 Panther led Germans down.

Rob

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Wednesday I have finished a game of DB106 Defending The Twin Villages. This is a 1944 'Battle of the Bulge' action which provides quite an interesting challenge for both the attacker and defender.

I have just completed the full AAR here.

If anyone wants to play this, a VASL file for this can be found in the 'ASL Scenario Archive' website (VASL v6.6.1).

von Marwitz

Smedley

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Played DN1 from the new CdG mod. This scenario is part of the Dinant CG but uses geo boards 5a and 7a. My Germans had to exit some trucks that were in convoys. The Belgians are in a tough spot. Germans to the north, west and east. The set up is key for the Belgians, as they must face attacks from three directions and are outnumbered 23 SE to 11 SE.

My Germans supported by two panzers reduced the defenders to the point where further resistance was futile. Tricky scenario for the defender. They may fare better once they grok the scenario.

Rob

The Purist

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gerry
Country
llCanada
Eagle4ty and I wrapped up our PBeM game of BoF 16 Saluting a General (91 log files!! :eek: ). We started as the new year arrived and had a couple of weeks off but otherwise managed more than one file per day. I was the Russian this time and held Tom away from the VC area until his last move before it became impossible for the Germans to gain control of the required hexes. It was a hard fought battle that didn't really turn in the Russian's favour until turn 5 or early turn 6.

A combined AAR will be posted in about a week.

Last edited:

fenyan

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
WO38 Three Bars of Chocolate. This was an interesting scenario that has 10 x 6-6-6 squads crossing clear terrain to cross an A-T ditch and woodline to occupy a central village area with the threat of rain.

My thin German force of 3-1/2 squads (all HIP) was swept away before the Turn 5 reinforcements could arrive. The defensive setup required more consideration than I had allowed for. Despite eliminating two squads and a 9-1 leader, the Germans needed to make the Americans pay more dearly in the initial turns to have a chance of reinforcing the village. E8 seems a good spot to put a squad with MG and leader, with ability to fallback to the village before the possiblity of heavy rain. Also, thinking it could be a good idea to put a half-squad along the elevated road to slow the Sherman platoon if they come on in Turn 4.

Would play again, fun scenario.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Played AP4 / ASL 186 L'Abbaye Blanche to teach VASL last Friday.

A fearfully small force of Americans setting up entirely HIP - with Guns and a couple of AP Minefields - have to prevent a fearfully large German 658 SS bad-ass force supported by two SMOKE spewing SPW 251/9 - which can't affort many losses nor to leave many Kameraden behind - from exiting.

I have just finished the AAR which can be found here.

von Marwitz

Thunderchief

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Would you say there is less maneuver in modern scenarios than those bitd? IIRC there was a discussion a while back about why modern scenarios tend to be shorter than old scenarios. One point that was made was modern players like to get right to the action and prefer to avoid the maneuvering into position. IOW, wham bam thank you vs. foreplay. 😉

Just curious as to your thoughts about this.🤔🤔
Not necessarily - I had a publisher take a few turns off a design of mine as the first thing they did, so less time for the attacker to develop their approach.

gorkowskij

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
BoF 1 The Marco Polo Bridge Incident

Really fun scenario that plays like a 1930s gangster movie complete with hostages and rickety AFVs taken from a vintage auto show. Since both sides have low firepower and a penchant for bursts of fury, banzai vs. dare death, maneuver plays a huge role. The only thing that’s missing is one of those classic Shanghai movie posters featuring a Chinese actress in qipao peddling cigarettes.

Highlights:

By turn 3, the battle hinged on point blank fire between building hexes 22S4, the Chinese kill stack, and S3, the Japanese kill stack, both amid that crucial four-building cluster. IJA bullets whittled the Chinese stack down to a single half squad as their machine guns ran out of ammo, but more 3-3-7s filtered in from behind, a luxury not available to the IJA who were red striping like candy canes. A dare death charge into the Japanese kill stack ended in tragedy for the Chinese. The Chinese armored car came along side, but was later “locked” by a same-hex IJA Type 94 which trounced a hapless 3-3-7 via overrun along the way. Further away, a Japanese 4-4-8 got into 22X2. The Chinese 9-1 and his platoon skirted west into the 22V2/U3 building to whittle down IJA troops in the nearby 22T1 wood. Another dare death charge into what was left of the Japanese kill stack, a wounded 9-1 with broken MMG by then in 22S4, finally stopped the IJA advance into the four-building cluster.

Conclusion:

On the last turn, a Chinese conscript assault moved into 22S3 to bring the Chinese within one building of victory (by lowering the Japanese tally). A 3-3-7 in 22N5 then doubled timed across the stream at N4 into N3 to threaten advance into then-Japanese-controlled, but empty 22N2. The adjacent 4-4-7 in 22O4 fired but missed. The Chinese had yet to move their masses against 22R2 (red lined) and X2 (locked by the armored car), so the Japanese conceded given that the Chinese had three good chances to recapture one more building for the win.

Full story at ASL scenario archive...

volgaG68

Fighting WWII One DR At A Time
Reaction score
First name
Chris
Country
llUnited States
HG-10 Stampede At Hill 253.5.....Things did not initially go well for Jerry as two of the 81 MTRs forgot to pack Smoke rounds, and the third got two rounds off before running out. One got a lot of key breaks on the front crestlines, however, including a CH that destroyed a PB. The Ferdinands took forever to climb the heights (8MP), but when they finally got there, their prescence was sharply felt by the remaining Russians. Of the six of them, one was DI'd down below, another burnt by MOL, and another Immobilized by one of the reinforcing KV-1S. The other three arrived up there in the German 7a(8a) MPh, and in their DFPh portion of the Russian Turn 7b they wreaked holy havoc. They needed Control of 12+ level 4 hill hexes at game end, and this final elephant stampede allowed Jerry to go from 5 L-4 hill hexes Controlled in 7a to 14 Controlled in 8a. Ivan had no final 1/2 turn for any recourse. Great scenario.

Ray Woloszyn

"Fire and Movement"
Reaction score
First name
Ray
Country
llUnited States
WO38 Three Bars of Chocolate. This was an interesting scenario that has 10 x 6-6-6 squads crossing clear terrain to cross an A-T ditch and woodline to occupy a central village area with the threat of rain.

My thin German force of 3-1/2 squads (all HIP) was swept away before the Turn 5 reinforcements could arrive. The defensive setup required more consideration than I had allowed for. Despite eliminating two squads and a 9-1 leader, the Germans needed to make the Americans pay more dearly in the initial turns to have a chance of reinforcing the village. E8 seems a good spot to put a squad with MG and leader, with ability to fallback to the village before the possiblity of heavy rain. Also, thinking it could be a good idea to put a half-squad along the elevated road to slow the Sherman platoon if they come on in Turn 4.

Would play again, fun scenario.
Played this last week with no AAR to go by. Now I see yours. Opponent did not put anybody in the wood line to shoot at the Americans which I conservatively moved using leader lead stacks via woods and buildings to avoid the effects of a devastating residual fire. I lost one squad rushing forward to a -2 and had two broken by the -1 attacks. Kept shooting at the woods thinking he has got to have HIP there to keep my boys DM. Then into the AT ditch just as the rain appeared. The tank battle was interesting as the German charged his two Tigers into the midst of my infantry. I could not scratch the Tiger with a couple of baz side shots and my armor came on late. I did stun and recall one Tiger who was CE but on the way out he hit my tank with an improbable hit and killed it. It all ended up with the church. Stupidly I had not kept track of the HIP units and was not sure if a half-squad was in the steeple. A tank crew survivor forced the broken German units downstairs to rout away and in my turn I marched in to find it empty.

Ray Woloszyn

"Fire and Movement"
Reaction score
First name
Ray
Country
llUnited States
Dompaire Destruction [WO36] John Dober in Gettysburg had a get together with eight players last week. I wanted to play some of the new stuff and played the three Winter Offensive scenarios. Five turns but loads of vehicles and an FB made this game long. I had to exit at least one but better two Panthers across two boards worrying about the FB, the HIP AT gun and a swarm of Allied tanks looking for a quick bounding fire shot. Panthers faired well not stalling but stopping each turn in order to protect themselves. The other group laden with five AFV's from the opposite direction of the Panthers had to support infantry taking buildings for points. I was down three tanks rather quickly as the Americans began attacking my infantry with their armor superiority. I owned two of the four buildings but lost one to a counterattack really hurting my cause. Thus, it was a matter of points and I was behind with most of infantry torn up. One squad that survived an overrun took out two tanks on the last turn with PF's to put me just over the top in points. Loved the scenario but had to once again relearn aircraft and AA rules.