Japanese Leaders cannot voluntarily break - what happens if a Flame spreads to a Blaze?

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
As per G1.41, Japanese Leaders cannot voluntarily break.

What happens if a Japanese Leader is in a Location with a Flame which spreads to become a Blaze during the AFPh?

Usually, units in such a Location can voluntarily break in the following RtPh to avoid being eliminated. But what about Japanese Leaders who can't? Will they be automatically killed?

Edit:
It helps to read the Rules:

B25.4 ENTRANCE/EXIT: Infantry in a terrain Blaze must leave by the end of the next RtPh or be eliminated. Unbroken units unable to leave before that RtPh have the option of breaking voluntarily so as to rout out of the Blaze Location. A non-pinned unit that cannot break voluntarily (A10.41) may move during its RtPh into an Accessible Location just as if it were Withdrawing from Melee (A11.2-.21) even if berserk. [EXC: units in Melee/pinned may not leave during the RtPh and are eliminated]. Such units are vulnerable to Interdiction (as well as minefield/OBA attack) and ATTACKER units must still move first. Vehicular/Cavalry units in a terrain Blaze must leave in their next friendly MPh or be eliminated. Any ground unit that enters a terrain Blaze is eliminated. The occupants of a pillbox (although in a separate Location) are considered fully affected by any Blaze in the ground level of its hex.

So as long as the Japanese Leader is unpinned, he can extricate himself.

von Marwitz

volgaG68

Fighting WWII One DR At A Time
Reaction score
First name
Chris
Country
llUnited States
Edit:
It helps to read the Rules:
You would be surprised, or maybe not, at how many times I have had an unresolvable rules question, typed it all out including citations, and when proofing it for correctness found I had overlooked the very snippet needed to answer my question. Typing it all out and proofing it made me more focused on what it actually said. Slightly embarrassed, with a quick look around to see if anyone had noticed, I backspaced my way out of the shame spiral and no one was the wiser. :whistle:

ScottRomanowski

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
In Dan Dennett's "From Bacteria to Bach and Back" he mentions a similar phenomenon: asking someone for help with a problem and in the process of explaining you realize the answer. Writing or talking about something might invoke more self-monitoring than merely thinking about it, and that self-monitoring (possibly evolved to monitor others for deception) finds the "wrong" bits and gets you to the answer. Don't be embarrassed; be proud that you have a normal human brain.