Loss of encirclement

Simon62

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Hi,

not clear on conditions to remove encirclement it a particular situation and hoping someone can confirm for me.

The situation is a unit is in a single hex stone building with a large white centre dot indicating that the building has a first level location. The unit is currently in the first level location and has been encircled by direct fire against as per the criteria stated in A7.7.

In the encircled units advance phase it advances downstairs (a different location we think?) at double cost (moving out of an encircled location) does this mean that encirclement is removed. If so then the unit can continually advance up and down stairs each go to remove encirclement even though it is in a single building hex and encirclement will continually have to be re-established.

Or, does the encirclement apply to all the building levels?

Regards

Simon

Stewart

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llRussia
A qualifying target Location is thereafter marked with an Encirclement counter

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Encirclement is per Location. In you example, only 1st Level.
How about 'upper level encirclement'? I believe in that case it would extend to any location in upper levels as long as its prerequisites are met (but I have not double-checked the rules).

von Marwitz

Simon62

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Hi,

yes but the encirclement marker is removed as soon as all units move out of the location (in this case downstairs) and upper level encirclement only applies if you cannot move downstairs I think, I.E. there is an enemy unit at ground level in each stairwell hex, this does not apply in this case.

Philippe's reply confirms my understanding of the rule, however it does seem strange -a unit taking fire from front and back and thus being surrounded and suffering the drop of morale etc that this inflicts on the unit decides that if it moves downstairs then it will no longer be surrounded and everyone is in great sprits again, then they are fired on and encircled - down goes that morale as the downstairs, unsurprisingly, is just as surrounded as the upstairs was, I know lets go upstairs because we may not be surrounded up there Etc Etc Etc

Just seems very strange, if a unit is surrounded in a location then surly it is surrounded in whatever location it is in the hex even if it has gone out of LOS of the firing units (E.G. into a gully from Crest etc), the unit still knows it is effectively 'cut off' from it's comrades regardless.

Sparafucil3

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
Just seems very strange, if a unit is surrounded in a location then surly it is surrounded in whatever location it is in the hex even if it has gone out of LOS of the firing units (E.G. into a gully from Crest etc), the unit still knows it is effectively 'cut off' from it's comrades regardless.
To leave encirclement takes more than just leaving LOS. For instance, your example of "dropping into a gully from Crest" won't leave encirclement since the unit hasn't LEFT the encircled Location. Another interesting interplay: As Phillippe said; the Location is encircled, and the all Ground unit's therein. So if you have a concealed unit in a Location with unconcealed units, you can be encircled even on shots that don't cause at least an NMC on the concealed unit if they CAN cause an NMC on the unconcealed units. -- jim

Philippe D.

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
Don't try to reason in reality terms, it always leads to confusion. We are discussing the rules, not their hypothetical real world counterpart.

But if you like, you can think of encirclement as more than having enemies all around: it means they are actively targeting you (it takes fire to form encirclement after all, not just presence of known enemy units - except for upper level encirclement, which is not what is being discussed here). So if you crawl (at double MF cost) up or down, you are now out of the area being actively targeted by enemy fire - for now.