Dinant CG (Dennis Brothers)

The Purist

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gerry
Country
llCanada
Smoke is not in copious supply. There are some tubes available, but the German OBA has none and many of the other tubes, on-board mortars and the MKIV's, Self Propelled 150's are vulnerable.
Yup,... In our game Lee had to rely on the Pz IVs for Smoke as the artillery was not provided with smoke rounds for this battle. The Germans need to use care with their own 81* mortars as they are more exposed and vulnerable than one might think.

For the French force preservation is they key to preventing an early breakthrough.

I found killing the boats less important than 'reverse sloping' the French defence and preserving the force for the firefights. The French cannot stand exposed on the river bank or the heights in front of the dozen plus German H/MMGs plus the mob of tanks without being badly shot up. The French need to (largely) keep out of LOS of the east bank and meet the German landings in the 'second' row of building in the south, behind the ElRR in the north, or with flanking fire into the open ground if the German land in centre. French reinforcements are few and variable in the early hours of the battle.

I found that HIP 81* mortars with HIP spotters and HIP OBA observers were best at harassing the crossing and landing areas while the infantry poured fire into the emerging landsers. The 37* Inf guns, served by 8 morale crews, can be deadly to both infantry and the early war German tanks and not easily silenced. Regardless,... an early crossing of the river and expanding a viable bridgehead is no easy task for the Germans

Mileage may vary as more games are recorded.

sdennis

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I destroyed a TON of boats and the Germans still got a ton of infantry across, enough to win for sure. We misplayed some rules for sure that hurt the Germans.
If we flip it around I think as the German I would hold the boats back for a while and using the mortars and kill stacks clear the entire ridge of any HIP guys. If you can get infantry across and exit on another road I think the German could exit enough to win or maybe envelop the "main" exit... Neil could never get up the cliff path on the French side and I killed all the boats on that flank so everything went down the main paved road and got held up.

The OBA fell into a key spot and he literally had the board edge 2 hexes (covered by mortars by me) or he had to go up the hill into my guns and mgs...

As he said if the OBA had failed me I think I lose than. So close to the end for sure.

I could see playing it again as either side too.

For the French playing the "reverse slope" would be boring though... and if the Germans can get across more than Neil did and on a broader front I think it's a losing situation for the French.

Taking boats off the board is FUN!

phlegm027

Reaction score
I thought the Germans decision to put all of his eggs in one exit from the river was the mistake that influenced the outcome more than any other. I think the german has to get a second way off of the river. It gives the French more to defend and they have problems handling things that they are not mobile enough to deal with Germans coming through 2 roads coming off of the river.

thanks guys for putting this AAR up. You both showed your knowledge of the game and it made for an interesting read. I’m glad you enjoyed the Dinant CG. It has the ability to make players feel the effects of their decisions.

It seemed that the German gave up on trying to get any type of crossing in the north. Was there a reason? Or did you go into landing planning to only use the South Reentrant.

sdennis

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
He stopped attacking in the North because I literally kill every boat but one. I kept enough there that trying to force the crossing would have resulted in more of the same I think. Now our knowledge of the game did fail in a few key spots (we don't play much anymore) and if Neil would have gotten either better rolls or quicker bridge building (due to a rule mistake) he could have possible at least tried in the North with the follow on forces.

sdennis

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Neil is convinced that he has a very simple inexpensive way to stop all vehicles except fully tracked on any other exit though. Think Trenches + roadblocks.
But I think the German needs ot force some infantry exit maybe on another road.

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Roadblocks are easy to disassemble. Trenches can frustrate non-fully tracked vehicles, but that is why a second front gets opened down south. To me, an all out assault on the north is the way to go and then have some of your landing forces spread south. The French can't, won't kill you all and whatever smoke that can be scraped up for this is a Godsend. Once across then spread down the cliff base with some force as well as push the north. Significant reinforcements come in on the second date and can open up the center and bottom of the map. However you can't allow the attack to get pinched down to one way out. The center has to be opened at all costs and the north has almost all the good bridge building sites.

It was fun watching you guys progress through. Thanks for playing/sharing.

phlegm027

Reaction score
Rommel is the destroyer of roadblocks. Put him a couple of hexes away and watch the magic happen.

I too would like to thank you guys for having the balls to play the CG in front of everyone‘s Saruman like gaze. Getting dropped into the CG cold is a sure fire way to learn how tough both sides have it in the CG.

you guys did a good job of highlighting the decision making processes for each side was inflicted by on board events. The failure of the German northern attack eventually led to the defeat on the road to Onhaye.

ive found that the French have to try to stuff the crossing German once the Germans get ferries and bridges Things get pear-shaped quickly.

It was very entertaining to see how it goes with different players.Thanks

stuh42asl

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Smoke is not in copious supply. There are some tubes available, but the German OBA has none and many of the other tubes, on-board mortars and the MKIV's, Self Propelled 150's are vulnerable.
I now have the CG, purchase two OBA modules, then place two 9 hex barrages in a line to HINDER los. Quite legal to use that in the game. With movement of the rafts, their sizes and hull down status, it could be a chore to hit them, you can also position them to take advantage of the NW mild breeze.

phlegm027

Reaction score
I now have the CG, purchase two OBA modules, then place two 9 hex barrages in a line to HINDER los. Quite legal to use that in the game. With movement of the rafts, their sizes and hull down status, it could be a chore to hit them, you can also position them to take advantage of the NW mild breeze.
Good try but no pre-reg hexes or smoke available. So no barrages or smoke missions.

Den589

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Yeah the lack of smoke is the number one problem for the German in the first couple scenarios in Dinant. I think the German MUST purchase some 81*MTRs on that first date to give you some cover for an attempted bridge building to commence during the 2nd scenario. As the French, any mortar that makes an appearance (or PZIV if those were bought for the smoke instead) becomes target number one.

phlegm027

Reaction score
Yeah the lack of smoke is the number one problem for the German in the first couple scenarios in Dinant. I think the German MUST purchase some 81*MTRs on that first date to give you some cover for an attempted bridge building to commence during the 2nd scenario. As the French, any mortar that makes an appearance (or PZIV if those were bought for the smoke instead) becomes target number one.
True dat.

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Dan is correct, no pre-reg, no barrage, and you do not have pre-reg hexes. The historical situation was essentially that this was a meeting engagement with a river separating the combatants.

stuh42asl

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Dan is correct, no pre-reg, no barrage, and you do not have pre-reg hexes. The historical situation was essentially that this was a meeting engagement with a river separating the combatants.
Chapter E has the 9 hex barrage which can be used.. all that is is just a re-configuration of an artillery fire plan, to be linear rather than area.

Smedley

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Chapter E has the 9 hex barrage which can be used.. all that is is just a re-configuration of an artillery fire plan, to be linear rather than area.
12.1 A Barrage is a type of OBA Fire Mission (C1.7), and is available to a player if he is allowed one or more Pre-Registered hexes.

No pre-reg = no barrage!