Hindrance on intermediate slope

Hexagoner

Reaction score
A firing unit is 5 hexes away from a target unit, on a same level. The firing unit is upslope and the target has no slope hexsides. The LOS crosses brush depiction in an intermediate hex that is 2 hexes away from the firing unit. The LOS passes through an upslope hexside in the brush hex. Does the brush hinder the LOS, or is the upslope hexside ignored since it is 2 hexes away and not part of the firing or target hexes?

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
Since the unit firing is Up-Slope to the target hex, that brush is not a Hindrance...slope hexsides outside of the firer's and target's hex have no effect.

nekengren2

Reaction score
First name
Neal
Country
llUnited States
Sometimes firing Up-Slope could apply hindrance if it is a Continuous Slope.

B.5 CONTINUOUS SLOPE: A Continuous Slope is a change in elevation
such that, in each hex successively crossed by the LOS, the elevation changes
by one level in a continuous gradient. All rules pertaining to same-level LOS
also apply to Continuous Slope LOS [EXC: walls/hedges and AFV/wrecks
( D9).4] even though the latter term is not mentioned, although Height Advantage
is unaffected.

nekengren2

Reaction score
First name
Neal
Country
llUnited States
Not sure why that would be. The rule clearly states that the continuous slope case would be regarded as same-level LOS.

Bill Kohler

Reaction score
First name
Bill
Country
llUnited States
Recently, somewhere on the internet (I forget where), I saw a question that was asking about the Hindrance height of a bridge, and an (obsolete) Q&A was referenced (for B6.2, I think). Just yesterday, though, I ran across a definitive answer on the heights of various Hindrances and wanted to document it for posterity's sake since I found it in an obscure place, and after a short search of the GS forums this seemed like the most relevant thread.

The text I found is located in footnote 3 from rule chapter P (Kampfgruppe Peiper): (it's also in footnote 6 of Pegasus Bridge)
3. 2.3 SLOPE LOS & ELVATION ADVANTAGE: Giving an Up-Slope unit a 3/4-level elevation advantage may seem overly complicated, but it in effect allows the unit to see over half-level--yet not over full-level--obstacles/Hindrances rising from the same Base Level as that unit. The "half-level" Hindrances referred to are brush, bridge, grain, marsh, crag and AFV/wrecks.

Last edited: