Night & Freedom of Movement

TopT

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
If a leader (with Freedom of Movement) is stacked with an AFV, can it grant that AFV freedom to move?

If the answer is yes,

my 2nd question involves a particular scenario SSR that states that the AFV does not have freedom of movement on T1. If the answer to my 1st question was yes, could a leader stacked with it grant it freedom of movement anyways?

The Purist

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gerry
Country
llCanada
E1.21 states that any unit in the hex with an SMC that grants FoM is thus released.

That said, if it's an SSR that prohibits FoM on T1 I would suggest this overrides the RB (as SSRs often do). Otherwise one simply stacks the best SMC with the tank thus invalidating the intent of the SSR. The prohibition is probably there for a reason.

TopT

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
E1.21 states that any unit in the hex with an SMC that grants FoM is thus released.

That said, if it's an SSR that prohibits FoM on T1 I would suggest this overrides the RB (as SSRs often do). Otherwise one simply stacks the best SMC with the tank thus invalidating the intent of the SSR. The prohibition is probably there for a reason.
In that regards, what about granting FoM on T2?

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States

Sounds like the correct answer. SSR there for a reason deemed important by the designer.

The Purist

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gerry
Country
llCanada
In that regards, what about granting FoM on T2?
There again I believe we refer to E1.21. An SMC that "...is allowed to move in its MPh, any unit that begins the MPh with it, in the same stack, is allowed to move also..."

Stacks do not have to remain together once released.

Note that a vehicle with radio can be released if any other vehicle that also has a radio gains FoM.

FYI - Freedom of movement can cascade if the attacker is not careful. You'll be surprised how quickly FoM is gained once the shooting starts and Starshells (E1.92) start popping off all over the map.

Last edited:

jyoung

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
FYI - Freedom of movement can cascade if the attacker is not careful. You'll be surprised how quickly FoM is gained once the shooting starts and Starshells (E1.92) start popping off all over the map.
Not if, as happened to me recently, you are in the jungle and the NVR suddenly drops to 0 on the first player turn and stays there for the duration, allowing the attacker to waltz through your defence completely unmolested :D