ASLOK XXXV

william.stoppel

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
So will ASLOK make an appearance as a live/ in person event for 2021 or are we doomed for a second virtual ASLOK? I’m crossing my fingers for an in person week long event

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
So will ASLOK make an appearance as a live/ in person event for 2021 or are we doomed for a second virtual ASLOK? I’m crossing my fingers for an in person week long event
I think the only real answer to this question at this point can only be:

Nobody knows.

von Marwitz

Mister T

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
With higher temperatures and the rollout of the vaccines (data from Israel, which has been a forerunner, are very encouraging), things are looking reasonably positive for ASLOK, at least for US residents (unclear whether borders will reopen by that time). Too early to organise anything before July

asloser

The Head Tuomo of the Finnish ASL Community
Reaction score
Country
llFinland
Well, for me to attend I'd need to make solid plans now to arrange my life around this kind of trip. So no chance. Hopefully there is possibility to organise some kind of FtF event already them to preserve continuity.

2022 might have a record turnout if things are back to more normal by then.

The Magnus

Reaction score
First name
Flavius Magnus Maximus Augustus II
Country
llSweden
With higher temperatures and the rollout of the vaccines (data from Israel, which has been a forerunner, are very encouraging), things are looking reasonably positive for ASLOK, at least for US residents (unclear whether borders will reopen by that time). Too early to organise anything before July
I agree with your assessment.

The discrepancy between the vaccinations numbers right now are really astonishing. According to NY Times today the following proportion of the population have been given at least one dose of vaccination:
Israel 45.8%
UK 23.4%
US 12%
Denmark 4.3%
Sweden 3.6%
Germany 3.4%
etc.

So as to not hurt any feelings, I will not make any explicit comments on the EU vaccine procurement strategy and/or amateurish execution (search for German WELT-video Gerd Kerkhoff if you are interested). However, it is a fact that Sweden now can't get vaccines faster than traditionally less efficient countries (not that the initial Swedish corona strategy was a success story, it was a total disaster, but at least a well-organized disaster story, I hate sloppiness :eek::eek::eek:).

Who would have guessed that Brexit would have this immediate life-saving benefit for the UK ... congratulations, very well done indeed!!!

Too bad, I would like to have gone to ASLOK 2021 :), now it might be filled with Americans, Brits and Israeli only. I wonder how that will affect US vs. the World :) .

TopT

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I agree with your assessment.
Israel 45.8%
Too bad, I would like to have gone to ASLOK 2021 :), now it might be filled with Americans, Brits and Israeli only. I wonder how that will affect US vs. the World :) .
Has there ever been an attendee from Israel?

Just one comment on Israel's numbers. Those numbers do not take into account any Palestinians. There are 7M Israelis and 4.5M Palestinians (in Israel & the occupied zones). Almost zero Palestinians have been vaccinated.

UAE & Bahrain are doing well with vaccines also. Notably, the countries with Universal Health programs are doing the best at vaccine rollout. Biden admin said, yesterday, that by July they expect every American to have been vaccinated. Maybe, ASLOK will be a go. 🥳

Sparafucil3

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
Biden admin said, yesterday, that by July they expect every American to have been vaccinated. Maybe, ASLOK will be a go. 🥳
I believe he said there would be enough for everyone to have one. You know there are some people who will refuse. -- jim

TopT

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I believe he said there would be enough for everyone to have one. You know there are some people who will refuse. -- jim
That is correct. I was only responding about the possibility of actually entertaining the thought of holding the tournament. I am in the camp that you should have to show proof, that you have received a vaccine, in order to attend. Covid-19 is not going anywhere soon and will be with us well into 2022.

In the next couple of months, the CDC will be able to say whether a vaccinated person who contracts Covid-19 again, will have the same viral load (the ability to pass on Covid-19 to another) as a person who has not received any vaccine. The Israeli's have started this research and so far it is looking as if the vaccinated person's ability is greatly diminished compared to a person who has not been vaccinated.

One last thing to add, I think masks are with us for the foreseeable future. There is almost no way around it without sacrificing others, or even yourself.

Last edited:

Sparafucil3

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
That is correct. I was only responding about the possibility of actually entertaining the thought of holding the tournament. I am in the camp that you should have to show proof, that you have received a vaccine, in order to attend. Covid-19 is not going anywhere soon and will be with us well into 2022.

In the next couple of months, the CDC will be able to say whether a vaccinated person who contracts Covid-19 again, will have the same viral load (the ability to pass on Covid-19 to another) as a person who has not received any vaccine. The Israeli's have started this research and so far it is looking as if the vaccinated person's ability is greatly diminished compared to a person who has not been vaccinated.
I agree with your optimism, at least for US citizens. I am not as bullish on non-citizens. Can't keep US citizens out of the country. -- jim

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
I thought we started thinking about Oktoberfest early but you guys are really chomping at the bit!!😉😉

PPPPPPP as Fish liked to say.
Proper prior planning prevents pi$$ poor performance. 😊😊

rdw5150

it's just a game
Reaction score
First name
Roger
Country
llUnited States
more than some. A poll at work was at 50%. That is why we have 4% of population and 25% cases (more or less) we as a whole hate to be told what to do. Unless the US gets draconian on vaccine policy (allowed to do stuff) normality is doomed for 2021.

SHRUG

Roger

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
more than some. A poll at work was at 50%. That is why we have 4% of population and 25% cases (more or less) we as a whole hate to be told what to do. Unless the US gets draconian on vaccine policy (allowed to do stuff) normality is doomed for 2021.

SHRUG

Roger
☹ Hope springs eternal but best to plan for reality.

The Magnus

Reaction score
First name
Flavius Magnus Maximus Augustus II
Country
llSweden
Has there ever been an attendee from Israel?
Regular attendees at Copenhagen Open, except in 2021 where it is "Copenhagen Closed" . (The arranger have given a tentative date in June for a FtF meeting, but I am not yet that optimistic 😢 ).

But if you are burning for a Face-to-Face tournament, come to the Friendly Fire Tournament in Linköping in Sweden end of April (present limit for meetings here is 8 people, but maybe that limit is abolished before then, or they can get the tournament qualified as a religious event in which case the limit is 20 🆒 ). Moreover, at least one Swedish ASL'er believes that using internal Alcohol helps - I do not know if that was in jest, but given the amount of alcohol consumption of the average Swede at an ASL event it better help as social distancing decreases for each permille alcohol.

Notably, the countries with Universal Health programs are doing the best at vaccine rollout.
Unless that country is in the EU and cannot get enough vaccine due to the EU procurement scandal. I so envy our British ASL'er, or you living in the US.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Regular attendees at Copenhagen Open, except in 2021 where it is "Copenhagen Closed" . (The arranger have given a tentative date in June for a FtF meeting, but I am not yet that optimistic 😢 ).

But if you are burning for a Face-to-Face tournament, come to the Friendly Fire Tournament in Linköping in Sweden end of April (present limit for meetings here is 8 people, but maybe that limit is abolished before then, or they can get the tournament qualified as a religious event in which case the limit is 20 🆒 ). Moreover, at least one Swedish ASL'er believes that using internal Alcohol helps - I do not know if that was in jest, but given the amount of alcohol consumption of the average Swede at an ASL event it better help as social distancing decreases for each permille alcohol.

Unless that country is in the EU and cannot get enough vaccine due to the EU procurement scandal. I so envy our British ASL'er, or you living in the US.
Good luck with your event. Work on some hymns and maybe you can bill it as a religious gathering.

My suggestions:
Onward Cardboard Soldiers
The Old Rugged Dice Tower
😊😊😊😊

pensatl1962

Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States

SHRUG

Roger
Maybe we should bundle together 1) stimulus checks and 2) vaccinations. Then the notion of individual freedom from being told what to do may take a back seat to social responsibility.