So what scenarios have you played Recently?

Smedley

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Played round 3 of the virtual Winter Offensive the other night. All the scenarios for the tournament are from a future Action Pack from MMP. We played a SS vs Brit battle on the new board 15a. Cool scenario that gives both sides a chance to attack. Ran out of time after three turns. I won the dice off.

Rob

owenedwards

Reaction score
Country
ll
I played IR-T1 The First Farmhouse again, this time practising retaining/removing Concealment. Germans lost because this slowed their approach down - in a 3.5 turn game, needing to capture a two-storey building, time is of the essence. The Russian leader and a brokie held the upper level of the building at game's end, with the Germans in the bottom.

JoeArthur

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Today finished ASL57 The Battle For Rome.

Good scenario. The weather killed the chances for my Germans - heavy winds turned up on Turn 5 so no smoke and the FT suddenly had a range of one.:rolleyes:

Kept going doing board edge creep on the right and still might have made it but did not clear a complete path to the one exit hex that I was aiming for. I kept up with the board edge creep thinking I had loads of time whereas I should have moved inwards.

Me not clearing the exit area allowed Jeff to lay 8 residual in the one exit hex that I could make on Turn 11 - resulting in a 1KIA (Jeff rolled snakes👍) for some guys who were then blocking the exit. He then went on to kill one of the halftracks that was towing a gun with that same residual.

Rather than take any more misery I conceded..............

Well played Jeff.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Last week I finished a very exciting and tense game of J152 Messenger Boys, which came down to the last CC DR.

All but one of my tanks going up in Blazes. Two heroes created (Higgins and Magnum, the former finally going down on his 6th Wound, the latter on his first). A German 'Commissar', an invulnerable German 8-1 with 548+MMG menace surviving uncounted attacks. MA's malfing, SMOKE rounds not found, killer stacks killing, going down, recovering, going down.

Will Lt. Whitaker (9-2, DSO, MC) drink his cuppa tea on the final objective just in time with his batman Mortimer Bowden-Heseltine and his trusty subedar Venkata Narasimha Rajuvaripet from his old Indian station?

This and all the drama is in this here freshly finished throuogh AAR!

von Marwitz

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Ah, but a hero is always killed by his second wound.
A15.2 HEROES: A hero is represented by a SMC with a Strength Factor of 1-4-9. If it fails a MC, the hero is considered wounded and the counter flipped to the wounded side where it displays a Strength Factor of 1-3-8 and must undergo a Wound Severity dr (17.11). If a wounded hero fails a MC it is eliminated; a hero never breaks or goes berserk and is not subject to Cowering or enforced Pin results [EXC: Minimum Move (4.134), Wounds (17.2), PF Checks (C13.31), ATMM Checks (C13.7), and Collapsed huts (G5.5)]. A hero's current printed Morale Level is never lowered by any cause, but could be increased to 10 (9 if wounded) by various causes (A.18).

Doh! I had it in my mind that a Leader turning Heroic was a very bad thing. Now I remember why!
In fact Hero Higgins did not effect much so at least the game did not get scewed by him having lived too long until succumbing to his '6th' wound. Basically, he was entirely busy getting battered all the time...

Yet, you set me thinking...
I think a Hero is not always killed by his second wound. Say if he were already wounded and then hit by a 'small' Sniper, he'd take a second wound which does not necessarily kill him if he rolls low enough for his Wound Check. That wound per se would not be a failed MC and thus not kill him outright.
It would have been an extremely memorable occurrence, if any SMC would suck up 5 'small' Snipers.

von Marwitz

Smedley

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Managed to finish up two games this weekend. First, in the Winter Offensive tourney, my Germans defeated some poor luck Americans in an unpublished scenario. Counted at least five box cars on Amis rally attempts!! This propels me into the WO finals! Second, my poor Swedes and Finns were unable to stop the Russian attack in AP159 Day at Night. A very exciting scenario with lots of armor. My five StuGs, and a 75L AT gun got seven of the ten T34s before being wiped out. A human wave sealed my fate after my fire lane went down on a 12. Fun scenario for armor enthusiasts.

Rob

TopT

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I just finished a game of AP12_ Cream of the Crop. I was the Russians and held onto victory by holding up the German advance in a number of melee hexes in
X5, Z6, & AA3. PF would HOB Z6 (BH & Hero) that held out until the end of German T7. I eliminated all 3 StuG's with lucky but crucial fire in turns 4,5, & 6
Street Fighting in Y6 on T5, The KV kiiled one before dying itself, & the ATR took out the last StuG when he tried to sleaze freeze him. The Russians in AA3 were concealed so he took a chance. He got a total of 12 building hexes of the 16 needed. I highly recommend this scenario!
This is the beginning of Russian T4

Houlie

CEO of HoulieDice (TM)
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Completed OTO32 Berated at Baronovichi a couple weeks back from BFP’s outstanding OTO2 module. I had the attacking Russians versus Curtis Brook’s defending Germans. Curtis decided to not defend up front. As a result, I had made excellent, disciplined progress through the mid-point of the game and set myself up nicely for the big push to the two final VC buildings over the final few turns – one factory and one rowhouse. I had almost no loses other than a laughably stupid loss of an FT tank – I fired its FT at the wrong guy (a concealed dummy stack three hexes away (8+1 (brush hindrance)) instead of the PF-bristling 447 in stone two hexes away (30 flat). First Duh of the game.

I made good progress to get to a viable final turn push. However, second big Duh, I frittered away a great opportunity by believing I did not control the VC rowhouse, when in fact, I did. I forgot I fired on and eliminated a broken German HS on level 1 in the preceding turn giving me instant control -- (edit to clarify: I thought I had to control the one building hex I had not occupied). He moved in a couple HS in his final turn. For some reason, I thought I had to root them out. As a result, I wasted squads trying to clear a building I already possessed. Duh.

As a result, I lacked the manpower to hit the factory with sufficient force. Combined with the German’s 19 x IFT rolls averaging a withering 5.26 over the last turn and a half, I could not wrest control of the factory.

Curtis played his usual top-notch game with a thoughtful, patient defense. We both thoroughly enjoyed this scenario. On to our next OTO2 scenario!

Last edited:

Curtis Brooks

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
As a result, I lacked the manpower to hit the factory with sufficient force. Combined with the German’s 19 x IFT rolls averaging a withering 5.26 over the last turn and a half, I could not wrest control of the factory.

Curtis played his usual top-notch game with a thoughtful, patient defense. We both thoroughly enjoyed this scenario. On to our next OTO2 scenario!
I knew I had lost control of the rowhouse. I had a HS, wounded 8-0 and a crew who couldn't make it the factory vc building, so they entered the rowhouse, simply to keep at least 1 Russian squad to remain there and miss the final assault (He couldn't leave the building empty and lose control over to me again). It soon became apparent that Craig didn't know or had forgotten he possessed the rowhouse, and spent much effort and many units trying to "secure" it for himself. That left too little for the last factory and the victory. It was a nailbiter, even with depleted forces the last building could have fallen, but my dice were super hot on that turn and I gunned too many Russians down. Another great game with a excellent player. Next round Craig won't make the same mistake twice!

Houlie

CEO of HoulieDice (TM)
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Completed J114 The Marketplace at Wormhoudt today in the first round of the VASL League versus Jack Boyle. I have had this on my playlist forever, but many of my opponents seemed to have played it. I really enjoy France ’40 scenarios and especially seeing some British AFV. I had the attacking Germans versus Jack’s defending Brits. VP were awarded for building locations and CVP.

This scenario was a swirling affair requiring careful coordination of fire and movement. The Germans had to traverse some open ground, but with the help of the Pz III’s/IV’s smoke dischargers, was able to get to the town in good order. Through the first five turns, the Germans were able to nip away at the British infantry (gain CVP) and building locations (LVP), but one PzIV stumbled onto the 40L located in the graveyard and KOed. Now, with the gun revealed and good fortunate to have immobilized one A10 with an ATR shot, I was able to move a bit more boldly with my three remaining tanks. By mid-game the two Matildas entered the fray. They are largely indestructible versus the Pz III/IVs; however, their clanky 9MP helped allow my panzers stay a step ahead.

After five challenging and exciting turns we were even on VP. Turn 6: I knew as the German, the marketplace and the church would be near impossible nuts to crack. I figured I could grab a couple outlying 1 VP buildings, the rest would likely have to be CVP. The 150* destroyed a Matilda at long range. I did gain one more LVP, plus I picked up one more MMC CVP. Too, a 468 captured the graveyard 40L and destroyed it for two more. I broke two squads and double-broke a 248 manning the HMG with the 10-2. Unfortunately for Jack, his turn 6 dice were pretty awful. At this point, the Brits were pretty depleted and any counterattack would carry the risk of more CVP loss. At this point, the Brits decided to pull out of Wormoudt.

Final Situation

We chatted after we finished and agreed this scenario was outstanding. Challenging and tense for both sides with lots of levers to pull to balance LVP and CVP trade-offs. As a result, the scenario is deep and plays long, but well worth it. Most recommended! A huge thank you to Jack for a very well-played game.

Last edited:

owenedwards

Reaction score
Country
ll
Just finished 241 Triumph Atop Taraldsvikfjell solitaire. My first game of full ASL aside from the (really helpful) Illuminating Rounds T1 scenario. There were more rules to learn than I had first realized - Cliffs and Three-Level Hills (which necessitated a lot of checking the Slopes LOS rules). But it wasn't too bad.

For most of the game the Allies were floating in irons below the first of the Level Three Foxholes I'd set up as the German - manned by a -1 Leader, an Elite 4-6-8, and an HMG. The HMG kept ROF a lot, and though the Allies took the very front Foxholes, both their frontal group of well-led Foreign Legionaries and their flank groups of Norwegians (with a half-squad of French on one side) had to hunker and sidle.

The game began to even out as the Allies chipped away at each flank, breaking three separate groups of overwatch units on Level One Hills (two on one side, one on the other). The HMG still had great views all round (except the woods west of the ridge), and was successful at holding off the French even as the flanks crumbled a little - even having time to break the first advance up the hill by the Norwegians in the east.

As the final overwatching unit in the west broke, the Norwegians there began to sneak up there and exchange shots with the three "rear" German positions on the ridge (two Foxholed squads of Naval Conscripts, one Good Order leader with a Disrupted brokie). This wasn't enough, though; something had to happen at the front, at the Gebirgsjager stronghold. French fire had largely failed to make a dent - though eventually the Leader was chased off, albeit only after a German Hero was created. A French charge in Turn 6 had failed, though without any significant bloodshed.

Turn 7.A involved a careful set of manoeuvres to draw fire as a great charge was prepared. A Berzerk Norwegian squad charged up the ridge from the east, surviving MPh PBF (and then DfPh PBF) from a Foxholed Conscript. The rest of the eastern force of Norwegians - broken many times, having taken casualties, rallied repeatedly in the woods - swept up in three groups below the German strongpoint. The Germans fired at the larger group of Norwegians, causing a 1MC...which was passed, with the HMG losing ROF! The main French group (8-1 and 2 squads, one a Fanatic with an LMG) charged forward - the Germans fired...causing a 1MC, which everyone passed! A second French group sprinted across from the west of the plateau - a HS broke on the way from a neighbouring German unit's fire, but a 9-1 and squad made their way adjacent to the Germans, surviving 6RF at -2(!!). In the west, a group of Norwegians climbed the ridge to the Leader and brokie, surviving incoming fire from the last secure German Foxhole.

A big Allied AfPh - could the Norwegians and French break the Germans on the hill before the melee? Two big 20FP shots (one at net +3, one at net +2), both causing a 1MC...the second of which broke the Elite squad, who then couldn't rout. The wounded Hero was slain in the following combat, as was the German leader further south. The Berzerk combat failed to resolve (though the Germans didn't count as Good Order for purposes of victory).

Final half-turn, three German squads left, one in Melee. Given the Allies are all over the ridge, staying in its Foxhole is the best plan for the only Good Order squad on the ridge itself (one in Melee, one on Level One without MF to get up the snowy ridge). German fire produces no result. DfPh from the ex-strongpoint at the north of the ridge breaks the Conscript at the far south.

It comes down to the last dierolls - the 2nd-round Melee between the Berzerk Norwegians and their opponents. Nominally the Allies are winning going into the combat, but either side Kills on a DR5, so the Germans have a non-trivial chance of a win. The Norwegians roll a 3, the Germans a 10...the Scandinavians vindicate their nation's honour against the invaders, winning the day.

What a game.

Houlie

CEO of HoulieDice (TM)
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Started – and completed OTO30 The Big Cat’s Lair last night against Curtis Brooks. I had the attacking Russians against the defending Germans. I needed to capture four 1-hex stone buildings AND exit 22 EVP. I thought when setting up my attack this looked like a very tough assignment for the Russians. Lots of open ground to cover to engage 10.5 8ML troops + abundant hardware in the board 70 village. Plus, three Panthers mixed among the six 5/8” ? counter stacks. 6.5 turns to get the job done.

I held off two trucks loaded with 2.5 squads each and the flame T34/85 until the coast was clear. The smoke from the 5 x Lend Lease Shermans was only S5/SM5, pretty unreliable. So, there was a bit of guessing which 5/8” ? stacks were the Panthers. Because the infantry had so far to go to get to the village, I made many of them riders which usually doesn’t work out for me. The other infantry that had to hoof it wouldn’t get to the village proper until turn 4 – IF they survived the infantry firepower and 1xHMG, 2xMMG, 4xLMG, 1xFT – and an 81mtr. Too, to get the hoofers engaged, it requires stacking to get the leader movement bonus which entails more risk.

Curtis set up the 5/8” ?s perfectly to cover darn near every part of the board. I tried to bunch up AFVs behind woods, but I pretty much guessed all wrong. Curtis took 8 TH rolls thru my Turn 2 movement phase with an average of 4.62. I usually stick with a game, but it seemed silly to continue and I threw in the towel after losing my fifth AFV.

I chose this scenario – a cousin of the very popular and balanced The Cat’s Lair. Both OBs are very similar, but opted for this one as there was no OBA fickleness. However, likely a mistake as the OBA can at least drop smoke. I probably came in a bit too assertive, which can sometimes reward a player, but lights-out shots from the Panthers ended this one early. I saw little hope of securing all four buildings, not to mention have enough EVP to get off the board. I could only scratch my head after this one. Maybe I just missed something obvious. Curtis played beautifully, as usual, with all the infantry back in the village and the 6x? OB-given taken as 5/8” ? to really make the Russians guess. Oh well, life is to short to dwell on it. On the the next scenario!!

Last edited:

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Started – and completed OTO30 The Big Cat’s Lair last night against Curtis Brooks. I had the attacking Russians against the defending Germans. I needed to capture four 1-hex stone buildings AND exit 22 EVP. I thought when setting up my attack this looked like a very tough assignment for the Russians. Lots of open ground to cover to engage 10.5 8ML troops + abundant hardware in the board 70 village. Plus, three Panthers mixed among the six 5/8” ? counter stacks. 6.5 turns to get the job done.

I held off two trucks loaded with 2.5 squads each and the flame T34/85 until the coast was clear. The smoke from the 5 x Lend Lease Shermans was only S5/SM5, pretty unreliable. So, there was a bit of guessing which 5/8” ? stacks were the Panthers. Because the infantry had so far to go to get to the village, I made many of them riders which usually doesn’t work out for me. The other infantry that had to hoof it wouldn’t get to the village proper until turn 4 – IF they survived the infantry firepower and 1xHMG, 2xMMG, 4xLMG, 1xFT – and an 81mtr. Too, to get the hoofers engaged, it requires stacking to get the leader movement bonus which entails more risk.

Curtis set up the 5/8” ?s perfectly to cover darn near every part of the board. I tried to bunch up AFVs behind woods, but I pretty much guessed all wrong. Curtis took 8 TH rolls thru my Turn 2 movement phase with an average of 4.62. I usually stick with a game, but it seemed silly to continue what and I threw in the towel after losing my fifth AFV.

I chose this scenario – a cousin of the very popular and balanced The Cat’s Lair. Both OBs are very similar, but opted for this one as there was no OBA fickleness. However, likely a mistake as the OBA can at least drop smoke. I probably came in a bit too assertive, which can sometimes reward a player, but lights-out shots from the Panthers ended this one early. I saw little hope of securing all four buildings, not to mention have enough EVP to get off the board. I could only scratch my head after this one. Maybe I just missed something obvious. Curtis played beautifully, as usual, with all the infantry back in the village and the 6x? taken as 5/8” to really make the Russians guess. Oh well, life is to short to dwell on it. On the the next scenario!!
Been there (too many times against Curtis), done that!🤕

JoeArthur

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
RO6 The Playing Field was next up for Cpl Uhl and myself.

He called it before the game started. In his opinion it is all about the OBA landing on the factory and clearing it out.

Which I achieved. I still could not get enough men in to reach the 15 points clear. Cpl Uhl had one and a half squads left in Hall 8. I could only get in 6.5 good order squads to give 12 points. I did have another two 6-2-8's in who ambushed a pinned German 4-6-7 and declared H-t-H. They then rolled an 11 in CC :mad:. Two squads not good order - but I would still have lost by one point. I had two squads fail NMC's trying to get into the factory though. :rolleyes:

All that led to a German win. I was talking to Cpl Uhl about how ASL seems to deliver more pain than joy..........

The most balanced Red Factories scenario that I have played so far. Which is confirmed by ROAR:

The Playing Field [RO6]Russian13German15

Well played Cpl Uhl.

phlegm027

Reaction score
I played 5 scenarios at Winter Offensive last week.

1. RotR playtest scenario The Kindness of Strangers
  2. RbF scenario Tempest at Tombe (weird little scenario, but I won :) )
  3. Critical Hit scenario Across the Berezina (fun)
  4. Annual/Beyond Valor scenario Commando Schenke
  5. Kakazu Ridge scenario The Gorge (the ROAR for that possible dog didn't get any better, I can tell you) :)
The CH scenario (uncredited) was probably the best, other than my own of course. :)
Mark,

what happened in The Gorge? I’ve been fiddling with trying to balance it. It’s a cool area of the map to play on..

Cpl Uhl

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
RO6 The Playing Field was next up for Cpl Uhl and myself.

He called it before the game started. In his opinion it is all about the OBA landing on the factory and clearing it out.

Which I achieved. I still could not get enough men in to reach the 15 points clear. Cpl Uhl had one and a half squads left in Hall 8. I could only get in 6.5 good order squads to give 12 points. I did have another two 6-2-8's in who ambushed a pinned German 4-6-7 and declared H-t-H. They then rolled an 11 in CC :mad:. Two squads not good order - but I would still have lost by one point. I had two squads fail NMC's trying to get into the factory though. :rolleyes:

All that led to a German win. I was talking to Cpl Uhl about how ASL seems to deliver more pain than joy..........

The most balanced Red Factories scenario that I have played so far. Which is confirmed by ROAR:

The Playing Field [RO6]Russian13German15

Well played Cpl Uhl.
Thanks Joe. Have to say that after four RO scenarios my general impression of them is meh. Shame.