Manila HASL - Good news, Bad news

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
No, I am not boasting about it, I am just saying that at least they find alternate, cheaper ways to ship. You can call it crap, I don't. I like some of their products. I don't buy them all like I do with MMP, BFP or LCP. I am not a competitive gamer like some so the scenario balance is not the most important aspect for me. To me, they offer some interesting alternative historical situations outside the standard theatres others concentrate on.
You just looking for a quick joke at my expense? I thought Aussies were more friendly than that.
I agree with you. CH have opened up whole new fields of ASL enjoyment. Like Iwo Jima, the Normandy Beaches and post and pre WWII ASL. I would never have designed my Iwo CG if it were not for CH. And I would not be designing my post war CG if it were not for them either. Where else can you get T-54 counters? Who else has done Vietnam ASL stuff? Nobody.

Tim Niesen

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
My friend Don Carlucci works for him. He recently designed a modern ASL for an Army contract for the War College. I agree that some of the game products seem shoddy, but I really do like the looks of the Wake Island game. I think that they vary in quality greatly. I have only seen a few, however. So I am not the best to judge. Tim

'Ol Fezziwig

Repressed Dissident
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I'm sorry guys, do we really need maps this big? Every CG seems to get bigger and bigger. I built a table extension for RO and it's not really big enough for Dinant... every time I turn around the maps get bigger and bigger. Does this CG suffer if it doesn't cover every square inch of the real battlefield?

The room I am using as my game room is only 10x9 or so (old kid bedroom) and you want me to put a 6x5 map in it? Probably not even though the HASL sounds great. This might be a turn off for me...
VASL.

'Ol Fezziwig

Repressed Dissident
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Just saw it go up on pre-order! I was number 10 of 950. Shipping was ridiculous, even just to Canada. I could have driven down picked it up, drove back, and still not paid as much in gas as USPS Priority is charging to get it to me.
Sounds like a plan.

Tim Niesen

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I just looked at the new website. Beautiful mapboard! I have a fondness for monster games. They are not for everyone, of course. The Marines usually prevail over both elite and non elite Japanese in ASL, but the US Army lacks the vigor of their elite counterparts. My friend Don has been consumed in reading accounts of the Pacific War for the last month. He gives the example of this battle where Marine observers of this Army battle were stunned that the Army units would take a position during the daytime and then fall back in the night. In contrast, the Marines would simply dig foxholes and stay there. The Army often would have to take the same position over again after the Japanese simply infiltrated back into their positions during the night!? Tim

ASLSARGE

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Sarge, Was the reluctance of the Army units to hold newly acquired positions at night factored into the game? Tim
To an extent in the CG's. US limited in type and quantity of forts they may purchase...and Japanese can infiltrate a number of squads closer to US positions....can be in same hex but not same location. Simulates retaking positions next day.

Last edited:

Tim Niesen

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
To the extent that Critical Hit does not sufficiently playtest their games, the criticism of their games is valid. And I find it difficult to use their counters...after decades of playing with regular ASL counters. But they do produce games and counters not covered by other companies. Tim

Steve H

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
It is a very intriguing map, unlike a lot of other urban fights with a lot of varied terrain. Really looking forward to seeing the scenarios for this.

Tim Niesen

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I agree. We are looking to play the campaign game. We now have four people. After Covid. I get my first shot this morning. Tim

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
(Of course there are some US-based retailers who will bulk-ship items which saves a bit on total shipping, but you generally lose the pre-order discounts, making it no better in the long run.)
Same here in Germany. Still cheaper to go for non-preorder prices via retailers importing bulk - but of course not cheap. At least there is one that offers pre-order prices in Germany as well.

On some occasions, ASL players have brought me some stuff they bought at ASLOK. Recently, a gentleman graciously offered connections via service channels, which was - of course - unbeatable. In all other cases, I go by pre-order price by German retailer shipping bulk from the US, accepting a delay of some months to get 'da crak'.

von Marwitz

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
To an extent in the CG's. US limited in type and quantity of forts they may purchase...and Japanese can infiltrate a number of squads closer to US positions....can be in same hex but not same location. Simulates retaking positions next day.
Sarge, how many CG dates in the biggest CG?