BFP-25 From Villebaudon to Valhalla

agoldin

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

Hello Brain Trust,
I'm posting because I'm looking for some ideas as to how to play as the German attacker in this scenario. ASL scenario archive scores the scenario as 2-0 German and ROAR is 5-6 US, but I don't see how the Germans can pull off a win against an American forward defense short of being totally reckless. I'm playing my friend Stephen who has succeeded at using well-called OBA and a skillful infantry defense to keep me bottled up in the bocage. As a result, there's no way I'm going to get my infantry to the capture the road intersections on the far side of the board in the five turns remaining. Simply marching from entry side of the board along the road with a leader to the nearest victory intersection takes five turns, unopposed. And that leaves only four turns for clearing the town. At the moment I've lost two Panthers to OBA and the third to a Bog for trying to bust through bocage. The remaining Panthers can get a couple kills on his M-10s but my reinforcements are still going to have to fight their way to the town. Meanwhile, his fighter-bombers are coming in and I'm going to have to disperse to so as I don't offer any more easy targets for his artillery or air. Current situation is shown attached.

My read of the map is that the Germans (infantry and tanks) have to stay on the road, consequences and casualties be dammed. While the 548s can enter as riders, the majority of the infantry has to stack with leaders and walk the distance, making them lucrative targets for OBA or air. To win, I have to capture all four crossroad hexes and kill at least 10 CVP, or some combination thereof. The best idea I got (for the next iteration, assuming we play again) is to drive right up to the American infantry with my Panthers and 548s as riders. Use my riders to draw his fire, hoping they don't all get killed, and let my Panthers do their work against the now-unconcealed Americans. Dismounting the riders and having them use Armored Assault may be a somewhat better option to keep my infantry alive but I will have to burn a turn to do that. Both options seem like a costly way to do the job. The following turns I'm going to have to start the tanks, bypass any remaining enemy infantry and see if I can get some kills on his tanks to open the road for my reinforcements. That, of course, will make me more vulnerable to a "Sherman swarm" and the other infantry he's got in the backfield.

Does anyone have a better suggestion?

Sparafucil3

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
I have never played this. I would have to play it be certain. The first thing I notice is the Flak Panzer's and HT's. These almost have to the be the heart of your attack. Early on, they have to put pressure on the American Infantry but on your Turn 3, you need to start thinking about their LOS to the American FB's which are about to arrive. The Flak should be able to provide a good envelope for you to at least make the Americans think about what they are doing.

WRT to OBA, one of the biggest ways to control it is to make sure you know the rules on how to place an AR and how to convert it. With that, you can try to figure out where his spotter is and break him. A broken leader with a Radio is no longer a problem for you. Also, once the OBA is down, You can flow around it.

Lastly, you have 10 freaking Panthers and no CVP cap. You earn VP by gaining CVP and capturing terrain. A HS can capture terrain and your Panthers are king in this. Grind forward and buck up Andy. It's only cardboard. -- jim

agoldin

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Jim,
Those are great comments. I hadn’t actually considered the lack of a CVP cap or the use of the flak half tracks against the infantry. They will make a big difference. Even so I think your larger point is also correct, that is, if you want to give a bloody nose you’re going to have to be wiling to take one.
I’ll see if I can get a rematch and try it out.
Thanks!

Sparafucil3

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
Jim,
Those are great comments. I hadn’t actually considered the lack of a CVP cap or the use of the flak half tracks against the infantry. They will make a big difference. Even so I think your larger point is also correct, that is, if you want to give a bloody nose you’re going to have to be wiling to take one.
I’ll see if I can get a rematch and try it out.
Thanks!
If we could work it out, I would love to try the Germans. Alas, I an +6 hours from you so it would be difficult. Good luck. -- jim

agoldin

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Jim,
It’s certainly do-able for me on a weekend. I’ll try to reach you at the email I have for you.

sunoftzu

Reaction score
Country
llTaiwan
I got that one on my dance card. Currently working through Op Cobra. BFP-023 is next (although I have a PT-ing project to get through first).

Thanks to the pair of you gents for your thoughts.....

John.

agoldin

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Stephen and I have reset the game and are trying it again. I'm being more aggressive and am getting somewhat better results. As of Turn 3 I'm in the same place but am positioned to break out with my tanks. The infantry are going to have to 'flow around' his harassing fire OBA. Unfortunately the halftracks are road-bound and will have to wait for the artillery to lift before proceeding. Losses so far are 1 Panther knocked out by a lucky APCR hit, one Panther immobilized by OBA and a 548 for a 76mm Sherman and a US-666. And I think it's pretty clear where the US observer is hiding...

Jim and I are planning to play in early Feb.

Op Cobra looks challenging. How do you like it so far?

Last edited:

Sparafucil3

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
How does he have an SR and an FFE:C down? Look at your OBA chart, the FFE:C column, if he doesn't convert it in place, he can either turn it into a new AR and start all over again, or adjust his SR from the center of the FFE:C. In either case, when the new SR is placed, the FFE:C is lifted. Your HT's might be able to blow past the SR now. -- jim

buser333

Reaction score
How does he have an SR and an FFE:C down? Look at your OBA chart, the FFE:C column, if he doesn't convert it in place, he can either turn it into a new AR and start all over again, or adjust his SR from the center of the FFE:C. In either case, when the new SR is placed, the FFE:C is lifted. Your HT's might be able to blow past the SR now. -- jim
I am going to guess that's a German SR.

agoldin

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Yes, that's correct. The SR is mine (German). Unfortunately the Americans have plenty more OBA, as with this fire mission they're down to 'only' 9 Black, 3 Red. Incoming!