Manila HASL - Good news, Bad news

Steve H

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
All you will need will be one copy of Yanks. The extra U.S. counters needed will come with the Manila HASL. You will also need one copy of either Code of Bushido or Rising Sun for the Japanese. The other needed counters will come with the Manila HASL.
Looks like an outstanding HASL, Sarge. Just pre-ordered it!

Tim Niesen

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I was discussing the Manila campaign game me with Don. Is the entire board 9 feet by 8 feet. Is this because that the hexagons are 5/8 size? We were talking of putting a hatch in the middle of the table. Any thoughts? One issue is that one member has difficulty with walking the stairs to the fourth floor. Where the room is suitable for such a large game. Tim

ASLSARGE

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I was discussing the Manila campaign game me with Don. Is the entire board 9 feet by 8 feet. Is this because that the hexagons are 5/8 size? We were talking of putting a hatch in the middle of the table. Any thoughts? One issue is that one member has difficulty with walking the stairs to the fourth floor. Where the room is suitable for such a large game. Tim
Final print map is more like 6 1/2 x 6 feet.

hongkongwargamer

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Just saw it go up on pre-order! I was number 10 of 950. Shipping was ridiculous, even just to Canada. I could have driven down picked it up, drove back, and still not paid as much in gas as USPS Priority is charging to get it to me.
Yup .. $67.83 shipping on $99. I am off - til circumstances change.

Not MMP's fault of course. I'll buy a PDF/VASL option, if that's ever on the table.

Last edited:

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

Not MMP's fault of course. I'll buy a PDF/VASL option, if that's ever on the table.
The problem with a VASL option is that I don't think you can sell something VASL related for profit.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
🤣😵🥴

Hm, let's see...

That would be $99 for the product, $67.83 shipping (have not checked for Germany, but would be similar I guess), $31.70 customs duties (for price and shipping), roughly $10 for gas (plus two hours drive for the 85km back/forth/fuss to pick it up at the customs office), makes a final price of

$208.53 for a $99 product.

This is why direct shipments from the US are plain dead to me. Not MMP's fault, but there we are.

von Marwitz

Steve H

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Yup, say what you like about CH products, but at least they explore multiple shipping options to me and send it the cheapest way, which is always FedEx. My shipping from them for multiple items is half that of MMP sending me one item. They will also hold items and ship when they have a number of them ready. MMP always tell me they need to ship an item that is ready right away. And why can't MMP give me more options than USPS Priority International?

asloser

The Head Tuomo of the Finnish ASL Community
Reaction score
Country
llFinland
🤣😵🥴

Hm, let's see...

That would be $99 for the product, $67.83 shipping (have not checked for Germany, but would be similar I guess), $31.70 customs duties (for price and shipping), roughly $10 for gas (plus two hours drive for the 85km back/forth/fuss to pick it up at the customs office), makes a final price of

$208.53 for a $99 product.

This is why direct shipments from the US are plain dead to me. Not MMP's fault, but there we are.

von Marwitz
Recent years we have made combined orders for 7-10 copies for anyone interested taking advantage of the pre-order pricing in southern Finland. That makes the shipping acceptable- but someone has to handle all of this. Fortunately Finnish postal service will take care of the customs declarations if you supply them pertinent information and you can get things delivered to your post office. Still you'll need to order at least 7-8 copies for it to make any sense.

MajorDomo

DM? Chuck H2O in his face
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Would it be possible for MMP to sell through the Amazon Prime platform?

They do a great job of shipping within the continental US.

Last edited:

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Woukd it be possible for MMP to sell through the Amazon Prime platform?

They do a great job of shipping within the continental US.
I bet it would. However, this would cost MMP as Amazon wants its share, while USPS does not cost MMP extra directly.

Of course, one could argue if MMP sold for $100 via Amazon, paying them $10, MMP would still get their $90, which is better than MMP charges and gets $90 from the customer but the customer is charged another $60 for the carrier.

On the other hand, Amazon is too big. It destroys small companies. It evades taxes. It treats its staff badly. And if it can establish something like a monopoly or even in the current state it coerces its retailers and customers which can quickly become dependent on it. That's why I use Amazon to search for books, for example, but try to avoid buying from them whenever possible and rather give the business to my local bookstore directly.

So even if it were cheaper via Amazon, this would be more a problem than a solution.

von Marwitz

Last edited:

bprobst

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Bruce
Country
llAustralia
Yup, say what you like about CH products, but at least they explore multiple shipping options to me and send it
You're boasting about this? (And I notice that you're not saying a single word about the outrageous base prices for all of their products.)

"Sure, they make completely worthless crap, and charge like a wounded bull for it, but they'll send it anywhere cheap!"

bprobst

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Bruce
Country
llAustralia
The only way I can afford to buy new MMP products these days is for a bunch of us to get together on a pre-order to amortise the shipping costs.

I had to pass on several non-ASL items I was interested in from their most recent sale because although the cost of the games was perfectly reasonable, the cost of the shipping made it quite pointless.

Unfortunately I think the size of the ASL market in Australia is too small these days for any distributor to want to import enough copies to justify the bulk shipping costs. You guys in Europe are fortunate to have one or more importers who can still do this (but of course there are more of you!).

I'm not blaming MMP but I can't think of any real solution for this, barring some radical change for the better in US shipping policies, which seems unlikely.

(Of course there are some US-based retailers who will bulk-ship items which saves a bit on total shipping, but you generally lose the pre-order discounts, making it no better in the long run.)

Steve H

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
You're boasting about this? (And I notice that you're not saying a single word about the outrageous base prices for all of their products.)

"Sure, they make completely worthless crap, and charge like a wounded bull for it, but they'll send it anywhere cheap!"
No, I am not boasting about it, I am just saying that at least they find alternate, cheaper ways to ship. You can call it crap, I don't. I like some of their products. I don't buy them all like I do with MMP, BFP or LCP. I am not a competitive gamer like some so the scenario balance is not the most important aspect for me. To me, they offer some interesting alternative historical situations outside the standard theatres others concentrate on.
You just looking for a quick joke at my expense? I thought Aussies were more friendly than that.