Gully woods LOS

dlazov

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
Those don’t look like any official gullies but look more like paths.

Pacman Ghost

Reaction score
A maze of twisty little passages, all alike
Country
llAustralia
Those don’t look like any official gullies but look more like paths.
We've already had this conversation!:LOL:

I vote "yes". The LOS is straight down the gully, and doesn't cross the woods depiction.

But OTOH, from B19.21:
A combination gully-woods hex (5Z8) is still a one level obstacle, and a combination gully-brush hex (12CC9) is still a 0 level LOS Hindrance; assuming the woods/brush is on both sides of the gully depiction, the same is true at level -1.
which says that the woods exist IN the gully, and so the depiction is sorta implied (as it would if it were brush, thus causing the hindrance to apply). Also, if there were woods at level -1 IN the J8 gully, it would rise up to level 0, causing J7 to become a blind hex.

But nah, play for the clearly-intended effect; the LOS doesn't cross the woods depiction :)

mgmasl

Reaction score
First name
Miguel
Country
llSpain
There is never LOS across a Woods-gully hex.. Only across a Wood-stream hex. The Woods in Wood-gully hexes are everywhere, including IN the depression. In a Wood-stream, the Woods are not IN the stream depression, just around at ground level.

Paths are no considered for LOS purposes, I mean the path artwork is considered Woods. In B13.6 "(i.e., inside the Woods contour the path is Wood, outside the contour it is not)"

John Fedoriw

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
If the original question is based on the Kakazu Ridge map then I think the unit IN J9 can see J7. Per KR2 the gorge is a dry stream and thus has no trees in the stream bed.

nekengren2

Reaction score
First name
Neal
Country
llUnited States
20.41 DRY: If a stream is dry, it does not exist; rather, it is considered a gully for all purposes,

which means there NO LOS J9 to J7 since Woods-Gully blocks LOS

John Fedoriw

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Except per KR2 the gorge is a B33 dry stream (sorry I did not specify this earlier) not a B20.41 dry stream....so per 33.1"Each supplemental terrain type always rises (to its normal height) from the Crest level of - not from IN - the stream hex."

Bill Kohler

Reaction score
First name
Bill
Country
llUnited States
20.41 DRY: If a stream is dry, it does not exist; rather, it is considered a gully for all purposes, which means there NO LOS J9 to J7 since Woods-Gully blocks LOS
That seems to contradict B33.13: "Disregarding SMOKE and Hindrances, a unit IN a stream (including dry stream) -woods/brush/orchard hex is in Open Ground if the LOS INTO that hex emanates from within, or lies within the stream depiction (20.2) as it enters, that hex."

Larry

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The (dry) stream depiction is OG if LOS is traced into the hex along the stream depiction. The stream depiction in J8 is OG from J9 to J7. Since J8 is OG per 33.13 that Bill cites and the rule confirms. LOS exists and 0 TEM.